Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to interrupt a shotgun storage thread.

Been made pretty clear nothing beats practice.
Brownie with a kubaton or open hand will out wit any run of the mill assailant and more.

For a home defense shotgun, short barrel, stock no stock, mounted flashlight, hand held light.
If mounted light how is it turned on and off?
Double barrel, tube mag, detachable mag?
For the in home hollywood effect. What's going to give the widest shot cone with sufficient hit?
And what ever else will help with in home shotgun defense.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Number four buckshot (12 gauge) is an excellent home defense choice. A mounted light with a simple on off switch would do the trick. Just a garden-variety 870 pump or a Mossberg 500 or 590 would do the trick nicely.

One thing to remember is that at inside the home distances, a shotgun is, for practical purposes a rifle. In other words, the spread of buckshot is minimal. There’s not much that will stop threat any faster or more effectively at those ranges. For any home defense shotgun you need to practice and pattern the ammunition you would intend to use. Different ammunition will pattern much differently.

·
Registered
55,202 Posts
Number four buckshot (12 gauge) is an excellent home defense choice. A mounted light with a simple on off switch would do the trick. Just a garden-variety 870 pump or a Mossberg 500 or 590 would do the trick nicely.

One thing to remember is that at inside the home distances, a shotgun is, for practical purposes a rifle. In other words, the spread of buckshot is minimal. There’s not much that will stop threat any faster or more effectively at those ranges. For any home defense shotgun you need to practice and pattern the ammunition you would intend to use. Different ammunition will pattern much differently.
The shot pattern on most any shotty is going to be a 1" pattern for every 3 feet as a rule of thumb. I questioned this during swat training at HK in Va. in 93 when we moved to shotties for entry work on hostage takers. I was summarily schooled by demonstration by Phil Singleton [ former SAS team leader on the Munich massacre raid in 72 ]. 3 feet made a 1" hole, 6 feet made a 2" hole, 9 feet made a 3" hole.

So in a 15 foot room, wall to wall, the pattern wouldn't be greater than 5". A head shot could be made easily on a hostage taker inside a normal rooms dimensions. They had us hold on the outer ear of the hostage taker instead of center of his head, giving a little more reliability of not hitting the hostage.

All the above with 00 buck and #4 buck. My personal choice for the home defense shottie is #4 buck. Less penetration potential through interior walls and still making those 1" for every 3 feet groups.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
The choke and load of a shotgun are important.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
I was trying to answer this thread and somehow it posted on a different shotgun thread.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
I prefer #4 buck myself. As far as the lethality of the smaller pellets compared to 00 and # 1 buck; I load a # 4 buck in the chamber, followed by a #1 buck for a followup shot if necessary, when using a 12 gauge shotgun for whitetail deer hunting. I’ve never needed a followup shot of #1, as the #4 buck has always dropped them immediately. I use #1 buck rather than the popular 00 buck because my gun patterns better with #1 than 00. It also patterns well with #4 buck.

I’d tell y’all the farthest range that I’ve made a kill shot with #4 buck; but you’d never believe it anyway.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
ive always considered the pattern across a room to be about the size of a fist...unlike what most believe that it will spray all over the place...anyone who has seen game taken with a shotgun up close is aware of the possibilities when it comes to penetration and wound diameter...it can be ugly...

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll assume picture is not actual size depending on viewing screen size.
Then factor in pellets per round?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have a Mossberg 930SPX with a Streamlight. Flashlight is mounted with a GG&G model specific mount.
When your left hand is on the foregrip your thumb is perfectly aligned with the on button. It is loaded with 2 3/4” 00 now. After reading this I’m changing to #4 Buck.

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
I have a Mossberg 930SPX with a Streamlight. Flashlight is mounted with a GG&G model specific mount.
When your left hand is on the foregrip your thumb is perfectly aligned with the on button. It is loaded with 2 3/4” 00 now. After reading this I’m changing to #4 Buck.
That's what my HD shottie is loaded with, too based on the advice of several here and elsewhere. (y)

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Moss 500..... 20” barrel (Persuader version) with Streamlight mounted on fore end with remote switch, loaded with 8 rounds of #4 buck. Side saddle holds 5 rounds of 1 oz slugs for the FU factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I’d tell y’all the farthest range that I’ve made a kill shot with #4 buck; but you’d never believe it anyway.
I believe you Rick! :)

Of course, it always helps if you have three shooting buddies ("witnesses") and an instructor/spotter all looking through their scopes when that little "ding" arrives!!

Dang, I think I just threw my elbow out again.... :)

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
I believe you Rick! :)

Of course, it always helps if you have three shooting buddies ("witnesses") and an instructor/spotter all looking through their scopes when that little "ding" arrives!!

Dang, I think I just threw my elbow out again.... :)
If we weren't there, no one would ever know it actually happened! 🤣

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
914 Posts
😃 Fifty rounds of #4 Buckshot on the way.
On the lighter side. My Mossberg is ready to go with one in the pipe. But to grandrfab‘s question, I had to grin at the fantasy of leaving the bolt open, bad guy confronted, pressing the bolt release, bad guy chits himself to death without me firing a shot. FYI, when the Mossberg slams into battery, it is the sound of imminent demise!

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I have one of those too but I had some cycling problems early on and Mossberg sent me a new spring for the magazine tube. I haven’t fired it enough to regain confidence. I’m sticking with the pump for the time being. You are right, when the bolt slams forward it is a pretty ominous noise.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
😃 Fifty rounds of #4 Buckshot on the way.
On the lighter side. My Mossberg is ready to go with one in the pipe. But to grandrfab‘s question, I had to grin at the fantasy of leaving the bolt open, bad guy confronted, pressing the bolt release, bad guy chits himself to death without me firing a shot. FYI, when the Mossberg slams into battery, it is the sound of imminent demise!
Not a fan...I don't want to give anyone a reason to start shooting...the first noise I want them to hear is the pin dropping in the receiver...if I decide to warn them it will be verbally and they won't be in a position to defend themselves should they choose...

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
Not a fan...I don't want to give anyone a reason to start shooting...the first noise I want them to hear is the pin dropping in the receiver...if I decide to warn them it will be verbally and they won't be in a position to defend themselves should they choose...
Yup, no warnings given and it's just like if I feel the need to draw my EDC, it's because about a second later rounds are headed to COM of the threat!

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Yeah pretty much the boom is what they will hear. No schuck schuck or even a snick of the safety.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts