Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shooting competitions IDPA STEEL or other, at Hansen or any other range in FL and it is a day time shoot in the sun spring summer autumn ; what color lens is the best... what tint!!
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
I don't shoot in such competitions. But, I would imagine a polarized lens would be advantageous in the sun, to eliminate glare and reflections.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm having a hard time finding Polarized safety/shooting glasses with a good review and under $120.
That is why I posted this.
Thanks
:thumsup

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Check out the Revision Sawfly glasses. You can get a polarized insert. Not cheap, but good. I've got a pair. Though I recently started using SSP Eyewear, because they offer built-in bifocal lenses, including a "top focal" lens, which is great for pistol shooting. But, they don't offer a polarized lens, yet. :(

Revision Sawfly polarized kit: https://www.revisionmilitary.com/en/eyewear/spectacles/sawfly-polarized-deluxe

·
Registered
8,630 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,056 Posts
Check out the Revision Sawfly glasses. You can get a polarized insert. Not cheap, but good. I've got a pair. Though I recently started using SSP Eyewear, because they offer built-in bifocal lenses, including a "top focal" lens, which is great for pistol shooting. But, they don't offer a polarized lens, yet. :(

Revision Sawfly polarized kit: https://www.revisionmilitary.com/en/eyewear/spectacles/sawfly-polarized-deluxe
Using SSP eyewear now myself, and no polarized lenses yet, but there's also situations where for me, polarized gives me fits, like when I need to be able to see LCD displays in aircraft or other vehicles. I haven't been snow skiing in years but they also make it difficult to differentiate icy patches from snow.

·
Super Moderator
26,056 Posts
My dad was a competition shooter and I recall he usually wore shooting glasses with a yellow lens. He said the yellow lenses increased contrast.
Nice thing about the full SSP Eyewear kit is it comes with two sets each of clear, smoke, and yellow lenses; one set of each for bottom (conventional) bifocals and one set with "top focal" lenses. You can even instal "top focal" for one eye and bottom for the other!
:dancingbanana

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Using SSP eyewear now myself, and no polarized lenses yet, but there's also situations where for me, polarized gives me fits, like when I need to be able to see LCD displays in aircraft or other vehicles. I haven't been snow skiing in years but they also make it difficult to differentiate icy patches from snow.
Yes... polarized lenses can cause issues with LCD displays, because LCD displays use polarized glass. So, it depends on the orientation of the LCD glass vs the orientation of the lens in your glasses. :) But, I'm sure you already know that! ;) You can tilt your head to improve the view, though. Of course, that may not be practical in the case of flying. (When we had a plane, we had the G1000 "glass cockpit.")

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Nice thing about the full SSP Eyewear kit is it comes with two sets each of clear, smoke, and yellow lenses; one set of each for bottom (conventional) bifocals and one set with "top focal" lenses. You can even instal "top focal" for one eye and bottom for the other!
:dancingbanana
That's what I do when shooting pistols.

Top focal for dominant eye... so I can see the front sight clearly.

Bottom focal for weak eye... for admin tasks like loading mags, fiddling with the pistol... clearing malfunctions... reading or writing notes... etc. Works a charm!

For rifles, I switch to bottom focal on both. Makes adjusting turrets, writing / reading DOPE, using my Strelok Pro app, texting my wife that I'm going to have lunch with Caleb and BeerHunter, etc... easier. :grin

·
Super Moderator
26,056 Posts
:2thumsup

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
My dad was a competition trap and skeet shooter and I recall he usually wore shooting glasses with a yellow lens. He said the yellow lenses increased contrast.
I found that to be the case with yellow/amber lenses, and very noticeably on cloudy days, back in the 90’s, when I shot IPSC.

Nowadays, my regular glasses with transition lenses work fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts