Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Fair enough. Often the "figure of speech" in common use is not really all that precise. My own understanding of the phrase as used in post #11 is that the sharpness of the skill dulls with disuse, not that the skill is lost entirely. :grin
Have you MET me?? LOL! My middle name is "Pedant." My middle initial is "I." But, it's silent. :rofl

·
Super Moderator
26,644 Posts
Have you MET me?? LOL! My middle name is "Pedant." My middle initial is "I." But, it's silent. :rofl
Think I've met you once or twice! :rofl

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
This I do several times a week and have done for years ever since I started carrying. Muscle memory is perishable!
So I finally got back to the range today. Live fire training day. For the first time in years I haven't fired my gun in 6 months. Reason is, I was gone on an almost 4 month extended business trip to Mass. where I couldn't carry or bring guns. Then when I got back, had to catch up on everything here.

So I got to thinking about this thread about loosing some muscle memory. 6 months isn't that long, but long for me. Today was an intense class so I really thought I wouldn't shoot as well as last time here. It's not just standing there shooting at a target, much more with intentional stress thrown in. I was pleasantly surprised, I actually shot better than most times in the past ! I have to admit that I do have some " lucky days " where for whatever reason I shoot phenomenal. Then other times where I suck! in my opinion. Then I got to thinking about the few months before I left. There was a thread somewhere about dry firing practice and BeerHunter made a comment that stuck with me. I was having some pulling issues and he said something like " dry fire practice until the lizard brain is trained ". After that I started dry firing every day with snap caps for a couple months, during which time I left for the business trip. So, I'm wondering if that made the difference even though it was only a couple months of dry firing. Going to continue the dry fire practice :cool:

We had a drill today the trainer called the Wilson drill ( from the church shooting ) He hung up a foam head at 35 feet and we each had 1 shot from concealed draw, six second timer, so we could take our time if wanted. Sad to say, I took 3 seconds and missed. Pulled a few inches to left. 5 out of 12 hit target.

But on brighter side, my target looked great for the one handed, non dominate shots at 10 feet - 16 rounds

21CB8AB5-5919-4DC2-AC37-53C6BA705D75.jpg

·
Super Moderator
26,644 Posts
:thumsup

Yes, that was a concept I stole from my aviator training. Our "Immediate Action" emergency procedures (EPs), which should get you into a safe condition, had to be committed to memory and routinely practiced until they could be done automatically with your eyes closed. In squadron training sessions, we often talked about the two components of consciousness, "The Monkey Brain" and the "The Lizard Brain." The monkey brain is needed for higher level thinking through problems needing solving, but situations best reacted to by instinct are better handled by the lizard brain. So we'd train our EPs into the lizard brain so they would require little conscious thought and left monkey brain to consider aeronautical decisions that required analysis and higher level thought.

I use the same concept when training myself and others for safe gun-handling and for situations that require draw and fire on a threat RFN! :grin

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
So I finally got back to the range today. Live fire training day. For the first time in years I haven't fired my gun in 6 months.
So I got to thinking about this thread about loosing some muscle memory. 6 months isn't that long, but long for me.
If I recall, when I took the Threat Focused course, it had been ~6 months since I had any practice. I made one quick trip to the local range before the course. It didn't seem to matter. The course went very well for me. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If I recall, when I took the Threat Focused course, it had been ~6 months since I had any practice. I made one quick trip to the local range before the course. It didn't seem to matter. The course went very well for me. :)
^^^. I usually do the same thing

21 - 26 of 26 Posts