Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that find it hard to find some training , you may find something that works for you on this site.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
not quite understanding your response

·
Super Moderator
26,643 Posts
not quite understanding your response
No worries. I misread the purpose of the site and after reading more carefully, I see it and thank you for sharing. :thumsup

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I think he's saying it's no substitute for live, on-range training with an instructor, however, it's better than learning by watching Dirty Harry on replay. :grin

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
For those of you that find it hard to find some training , you may find something that works for you on this site.
I think he's saying it's no substitute for live, on-range training with an instructor, however, it's better than learning by watching Dirty Harry on replay. :grin

-on Tapatalk
But I see it's a site to find classes, not receive training. ;)

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries. I misread the purpose of the site and after reading more carefully, I see it and thank you for sharing. :thumsup
no problem Sir

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put it out there cause when I started out, I had no idea where to find a place to train and learn. It took a lot of research, phone calls, and trial and error to find the right place for me. I didn't want to be the guy we just watched on the church video that got killed because he had no training or experience and got himself killed !

I still don't understand why people that conceal carry don't prepare themselves ? I guess they just don't understand that when you carry, the stakes are high. You make a mistake, you can potentially end up in court, in debt, in prison, or dead. Not to mention kill an innocent person in the process. So much can go wrong ! Stress training, practice and confidence makes all the difference.

I'm also thankful for all I learn here from like minded people that often times think different than me and have more experience :thumsup

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
I didn't want to be the guy we just watched on the church video that got killed because he had no training or experience and got himself killed !
Practice your draw, folks! Over, and over, and over.

Unfortunately, most ranges do not allow drawing from holsters and live fire.

But, you can practice with dry fire at home. Over, and over, and over. From concealment!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

But, you can practice with dry fire at home. Over, and over, and over. From concealment!
^^^ :thumsup

·
Registered
924 Posts

This is something I need to start doing more of. Saw the excellent video Browie posted, and Rayman shared again. I plan on practicing that draw stroke in dry fire mode. I feel like although I may not be the best shot, at SD ranges, I now feel confident I can and will hit if I can get my firearm out. But thats the key, so now its time to start putting in practice on that end. And get some proper hands on instruction.

·
Super Moderator
26,643 Posts

This I do several times a week and have done for years ever since I started carrying. Muscle memory is perishable!

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
This I do several times a week and have done for years ever since I started carrying. Muscle memory is perishable!
I know that's a common adage cited for continued practice in the gun world, but I do not believe it. I have not found it to be true. There's another old saying that IS true: "It's like riding a bike."

But, first you have to learn to ride a bike. :)

I have not done a 1-1/2 front flip off a diving board in over 30 years. (I was a diver in high school.) But, I'd bet you $100 I could do it on the first try right now. It wouldn't be pretty.... I wouldn't get "8s" from the judges today. But, I could execute it, for sure. Why? Because I did it THOUSANDS of times back in the day. That "muscle memory" is still there.

Likewise, I have gone for long periods without pistol practice in the past. When I finally got back to the range, my skills were literally exactly the same as they were before. I still sucked! LOL! ;) Just kidding. I did not see any noticeable deterioration. But, yeah... I've fired many thousands of rounds BEFORE... even though it may have been a long time ago.

That's not to argue against practice, of course. But, once a skill is burned in through thousands of repetitions, I do not believe it becomes perishable. You don't lose it. It's still there. Maybe not as pretty. But, it's there. Again... this is for people who have practiced a specific skill THOUSANDS of times in the past.

I believe Bruce Lee said, "I don't fear a man that has practiced 10,000 different kicks. I fear a man that has practiced ONE kick, 10,000 times."

I still practice my draw, too. :grin

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I have a weighted Blue Gun for both mine and the wife's primary EDC.

Thinking about something like a SIRT next.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,337 Posts
IMO, skills not practiced will degrade a little, but not fully over time.

As an example from my own world.

1. Didn't shoot for 5 years, carried everyday, but had stopped shooting completely after 300K in matches over 5 years and traveling to 3 states matches, some weekends making 3 matches in two days [ it was no longer fun to shoot ]. One day I decided to go play and see if I enjoyed shooting again. There was some degradation on draw stroke speed and splits between shots when compared to past performances.

IMO, if one's level of skill has attained a subconscious level [ whether that be draw stroke, speed, accuracy etc ] degradation through lack of practice will be minimal for most. If one has never attained the autopilot subconscious level, the degradation through lack of practice will be substantially more.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I know that's a common adage cited for continued practice in the gun world, but I do not believe it. I have not found it to be true. There's another old saying that IS true: "It's like riding a bike."

Whilst true, I think there are limits. I can still ride great. I take my Haro Dave Mirra Pro 21" to the skate/BMX park. But I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be. Had I continued as I did in my younger years, perhaps I could be sponsored. Not anymore, lol. That's just one example.

Kinda like what Brownie is saying. If not practiced, they may not be lost, but diminished. That's my thought based on personal experience in other areas.

-on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,643 Posts

I have not done a 1-1/2 front flip off a diving board in over 30 years. (I was a diver in high school.) But, I'd bet you $100 I could do it on the first try right now. It wouldn't be pretty.... I wouldn't get "8s" from the judges today. But, I could execute it, for sure. Why? Because I did it THOUSANDS of times back in the day. That "muscle memory" is still there.
Agreed, for the most part. After long breaks from the cockpit when necessary to pursue other duties, my return brought me great joy to realize I still was still the skilled aviator I once was, but some sharpness had been lost until proficiency was restored by practice. Likewise, after going long periods between practice of the Threat Focused skills, I find that I still have the skills acquired before. Yes, once the basic skill is learned and practices to the point of being subconscious of it, it's not forgotten and only dulled slightly with time. I can indeed ride a bike down a street, or takeoff and land an aircraft safely, or draw and fire my pistol safely with acceptable accuracy. However, I have decades of experience observing my students in performing the finer motor skills of tasks previously well learned with acceptable safety and skill but still with some less precision than when they last maintained top proficiency.

Likewise, I have gone for long periods without pistol practice in the past. When I finally got back to the range, my skills were literally exactly the same as they were before. I still sucked! LOL! ;) Just kidding. I did not see any noticeable deterioration. But, yeah... I've fired many thousands of rounds BEFORE... even though it may have been a long time ago.

That's not to argue against practice, of course. But, once a skill is burned in through thousands of repetitions, I do not believe it becomes perishable. You don't lose it. It's still there. Maybe not as pretty. But, it's there. Again... this is for people who have practiced a specific skill THOUSANDS of times in the past.

I believe Bruce Lee said, "I don't fear a man that has practiced 10,000 different kicks. I fear a man that has practiced ONE kick, 10,000 times."

I still practice my draw, too. :grin
That is why I continue to practice my draw to maintain speed and necessary accuracy. I'm not satisfied with only 10,000 times. Perhaps when I've got 1,000,000 draws and 1,000,000+ rounds downrange, then I'll be satisfied. :grin

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
IMO, if one's level of skill has attained a subconscious level [ whether that be draw stroke, speed, accuracy etc ] degradation through lack of practice will be minimal for most. If one has never attained the autopilot subconscious level, the degradation through lack of practice will be substantially more.
As long as it's not UNconscious, right? :grin

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Agreed, for the most part. After long breaks from the cockpit when necessary to pursue other duties, my return brought me great joy to realize I still was still the skilled aviator I once was, but some sharpness had been lost until proficiency was restored by practice. Likewise, after going long periods between practice of the Threat Focused skills, I find that I still have the skills acquired before. Yes, once the basic skill is learned and practices to the point of being subconscious of it, it's not forgotten and only dulled slightly with time. I can indeed ride a bike down a street, or takeoff and land an aircraft safely, or draw and fire my pistol safely with acceptable accuracy. However, I have decades of experience observing my students in performing the finer motor skills of tasks previously well learned with acceptable safety and skill but still with some less precision than when they last maintained top proficiency.

That is why I continue to practice my draw to maintain speed and necessary accuracy. I'm not satisfied with only 10,000 times. Perhaps when I've got 1,000,000 draws and 1,000,000+ rounds downrange, then I'll be satisfied. :grin
Agree totally. But, you're the guy who practiced one kick 10,000 times. So, as refined as your skills were, you're going to notice them being a bit "dulled." But, the skills are still there.

To me, "perishable" means gone... dead... kaput... no longer acceptable, etc. That may be true for the guy who practiced it only 100 times 5 years ago. But, you and I have practiced it thousands and thousands of times over many years. And, we still do... to maintain our SHARPNESS, not because it's "perishable," as in completely lost. I guess that's my point. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,643 Posts
Agree totally. But, you're the guy who practiced one kick 10,000 times. So, as refined as your skills were, you're going to notice them being a bit "dulled." But, the skills are still there.

To me, "perishable" means gone... dead... kaput... no longer acceptable, etc. That may be true for the guy who practiced it only 100 times 5 years ago. But, you and I have practiced it thousands and thousands of times over many years. And, we still do... to maintain our SHARPNESS, not because it's "perishable," as in completely lost. I guess that's my point. :)
Fair enough. Often the "figure of speech" in common use is not really all that precise. My own understanding of the phrase as used in post #11 is that the sharpness of the skill dulls with disuse, not that the skill is lost entirely. :grin

·
Registered
54,337 Posts
Fair enough. Often the "figure of speech" in common use is not really all that precise. My own understanding of the phrase as used in post #11 is that the sharpness of the skill dulls with disuse, not that the skill is lost entirely. :grin
I was pleasantly surprised to find that after 5 years, my reference point had not changed with QK pistol. I'd only been using it for a decade at that time. :grin

https://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?1174-Handgun-or-Pistol-Quick-Kill-QK-Shooting-Technique-%A9

1 - 20 of 26 Posts