Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted a short link to a great summary by Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman. His works are required reading for many federal law-enforcement agencies. He wrote “on killing” and a number of books. He is well known in the military and law enforcement circles.

Grossman tells us that many are born as sheep, they go through life aimlessly and only hurt themselves by accident. Some violent People are born as wolves, They have big teeth and feed on the sheep who are largely defenseless. The sheep are very afraid of the wolves.

And then there are the Sheepdogs. These are people who were born with an inclination to protect the flock and fellow man. They stand ready to do violence upon the Wolves to protect the sheep. The sheep often don’t like the sheepdog because it reminds them of the wolf.

You might find his discussion and analysis significant.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The sheep often don’t like the sheepdog because it reminds them of the wolf.
A key point, I think. A lot of time, here on the forum, we see people posting that they don't understand why the sheep don't appreciate what the sheepdogs do for them, and don't understand why they want to put limits on the sheepdog. Well, it's because the sheep are almost (not quite, but almost) as afraid of the sheepdog as they are of the wolves. They don't understand the sheepdog mentality. They cannot grasp the fact that the sheepdog will never hurt them, and is only there to protect them. They know that the sheepdog COULD hurt them if it wanted to, but they don't get the fact that it will NEVER want to. And so they are afraid.

·
Super Moderator
30,402 Posts
A key point, I think. A lot of time, here on the forum, we see people posting that they don't understand why the sheep don't appreciate what the sheepdogs do for them, and don't understand why they want to put limits on the sheepdog. Well, it's because the sheep are almost (not quite, but almost) as afraid of the sheepdog as they are of the wolves. They don't understand the sheepdog mentality. They cannot grasp the fact that the sheepdog will never hurt them, and is only there to protect them. They know that the sheepdog COULD hurt them if it wanted to, but they don't get the fact that it will NEVER want to. And so they are afraid.
Well stated! (y) (y)

Reactions: Shark1007

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I would add that I’ve known people who purchase a firearm and automatically think they are now a sheepdog. A sheepdog doesn’t need a firearm. A sheepdog is a mindset and commitment to protect those that aren’t able to protect themselves. Having skills, a plan and awareness will make them more successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Very well put. (y)

Reactions: Shark1007

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coops

Interesting article, thank you for posting. When Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield were killed they were working with a crazy marine with PTSD. The guys mother had reached out and asked for help.

Your article asks how did they know that a fellow Marine was not a sheepdog? Kyle texted Littlefield on the way to the range saying words to the effect of “this dude is straight up nuts, watch my six!” Apparently he had suspicions that this cat was dangerous. I think Kyle was killed with a 1911 and Littlefield with a P226 in 9mm.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I consider myself more of a porcupine than a sheepdog; my philosophy is you leave me the f**k alone and I'll do likewise.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The real problem in today's society...the term Sheeple goes both ways. Blindly following a republican candidate that is just an alternative to some A$$wipe liberal democrat candidate is very dangerous. Hitler rising to power is an example of that. Unfortunately finding a true patriot that is for the people and the country instead of lining their pockets or trying to ignore any and all protocol that is necessary in our form of government. is getting harder and harder to find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts