Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sent my CWL packet yesterday, so I know I'm at the very beginning of the process. My question... my class instructor told me that I should send it by certified, return receipt mail, because they are so overwhelmed with applications right now. His explanation was that if they did not have to sign for it, they may leave it sitting in their inbox for weeks, while they work to process the ones that are 'dated' - It sounded logical.

Do they have any obligation to actually finish the process within 90 days if the application is dated by registered mail?

He said that if I didn't hear anything from them within a month or so that it was a good sign there were no problems with the application, and I should expect it in about 60 days from when I get my return receipt, barring them calling and telling me something was delaying the processing.

He also mentioned that it is very likely they will be cutting back on the number of people that are processing the applications due to budget restraints. He seemed 'in the know' to me, but I always like to cross-check. He told me they have four people that work in the office in Tallahassee, but they might be cut by one or two. Can anybody confirm or refute this?

From what I've been reading here, it seems that I'll be lucky to have it in 90 days... I'm not impatient, but certainly looking forward to having it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Cohiba,

I dont think there are any short cuts. My packet was mailed a month ago today, and they haven't cashed my check yet, I am prior law enforcement and alreay have my information in the system. Seems that applications are taking 3 months to process. Once the check clears, licenses seem to be issued usually within 2 months.

As far as 4 clerks handling the licensing, I would think there are more. DOA is processing 1000's of applications a month.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They got it...

Your item was delivered at 7:16 AM on January 15, 2009 in TALLAHASSEE, FL 32314.
81 days to go...

:laughing

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
81 days to go...

:laughing
My prediction

The week of Feb 25 for the check to clear.
If you don't receive a letter from DOA for additional information, I say your you should be good to go Arbor Day. :drinks

I could be wrong but that appears to be the trend these days

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The saga continues...

The USPS website shows the item delivered on 01/15 - but when I received the certified card back they had crossed out 01/15 and put 02/09 in place. Needless to say, I was a bit discouraged that they were overwhelmed and delaying things. Fortunately, the website tracking wasn't changed the way the postcard was.

Now, I just checked my bank account, and WOOHOO!!! I've never been so happy that someone got my money! The check was cleared 02/18 per the bank.

Now I gotta forget about it again so I can get that surprise in the mailbox... I think I'm going to the range now to celebrate. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
For what it is worth there was a story on the news yesterday that indicated that the monthly submission rate compared to this time last year has doubled. That is a pretty steep increase in volume for anyone to handle with the same resources especially a government agency that isn't the USMC. The better news associated with the story is that they indicated there had been state approval to hire part time employees to help with the approval packets. I don't know how long it will take to get those workers in house and helping to speed up the approval process but it sure can't hurt.

Thought you would all want to know. This was a news 13 story in central Florida if anyone is looking to verify

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a similar article at the Miami Herald, confirming what you heard on Central 13.

Florida can't keep up with concealed weapon permit requests

The state is buried under a backlog of 95,000 applications for concealed-weapons permits and it needs to hire a lot more people to handle the paperwork. A legislative panel Wednesday gave Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson the OK to spend $3.9 million more so he can hire 61 temporary workers.

:thumsup

·
Registered
124 Posts
As applications for gun permits stack up, the state has reported a spike in phone calls from impatient applicants, and at least 140 large tubs in a Tallahassee office building are filled with unprocessed applications.
Hopefully mine is on someones desk and not in one of those tubs. Sent mid-late December, check cashed Feb. 05, 2009. Hoping to have license by April 01/2009.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would assume that the new employees, even if temps, would have to also pass a background check before being able to process such licenses. Maybe I'm wrong, but that could take awhile before they actually start processing apps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sent my application in at the end of Nov. My check wasn't cashed until Jan. I called the beginning of Feb and they told me they were still processing applications from the first two weeks of November and that I should expect to wait at least another 4 weeks. Now we're into March and I haven't received the license yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cyfy, I think your license comes by the end of next week (if not by this week) unless you had fingerprint problems or something.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I sent my application in at the end of Nov. My check wasn't cashed until Jan. I called the beginning of Feb and they told me they were still processing applications from the first two weeks of November and that I should expect to wait at least another 4 weeks. Now we're into March and I haven't received the license yet.
cyfy, I think yours should be arriving soon. Maybe you should call again and talk with a supervisor, report back to us. I am on day 82.

I am wondering who else submitted in Nov - Dec and what their progress has been.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd call, but do not want to wait on hold for another 30+ mins. If I don't know something by the end of the month I will probably call again.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'd call, but do not want to wait on hold for another 30+ mins. If I don't know something by the end of the month I will probably call again.
You are a very patient person...much more than I :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 90 days are up next week. I will give them an additional 3 days, then I will call looking for my permit. :ak

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My 90 days are up next week. I will give them an additional 3 days, then I will call looking for my permit. :ak
You applied on the 9th and I did on the 13th. I will call them 4 days after you :rolf

1 - 20 of 28 Posts