Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question has alot of moving parts so I'll try to keep it simple. I live on the Gulf Coast and travel across the state every week for work inside a FL Seaport that is Posted Weapons free zones and cross a checkpoint with security guard asking if I have weapons before being granted entry to drive my vehicle near the dock that I work. (I work on a tug boat). I'm a CCW permit holder and not legally allowed to enter the port with my firearm. This means I must transport to and from across the state defenseless at a time when I feel must vulnerable. Obviously a firearm is the best choice for protection but what is the next best option? Options I have considered are Flare Gun, Pepper Spray, High powered semi auto pellet gun. ( Note air guns are not considered weapons in FL). I believe I could get away with the flare gun since I literally work on a boat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check with your security supervisor. I also work in a secure transportation facility (intermodal terminal) and I doubt very much a pellet gun or OC would fly.

Of course you can carry whatever you want, but be prepared to lose your TWIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Is there any parking nearby outside you could use? Nearby shopping mall or parking lot and have a co-worker drive you into the facility?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I recently had to work inside the secure area of Port Everglades, and I had my 9mm Glock in the truck. (I wasn't expecting to have to go into the secure area.)
The truck has a safe bolted-down in the back, and that won't do - even if you offer to leave the keys with security.

Since I work in telecom, I called a friend for the combo to the nearest cell site tower and parked the weapon inside the secure shelter.
Took all of 10 minutes.

Whereupon my rapid return visit to the Port Everglades security, the attending guard (I had just encountered minutes earlier) wondered what I did with the gun.
I fessed-up to the solution and he gave me a grin, and decided he didn't need to search the vehicle after all.

So... maybe there's a business model lurking here (kiosk-type) where a person can store their weapon in a private locker, conveniently located near the entrance?
But yeah, this whole business of "gun free zones" is terrible. Even open-carry vs. concealed.
The end effect is you're effectively disarming yourself for at least some portion of your travels, simply to comply.

·
Super Moderator
26,651 Posts
My question has alot of moving parts so I'll try to keep it simple. I live on the Gulf Coast and travel across the state every week for work inside a FL Seaport that is Posted Weapons free zones and cross a checkpoint with security guard asking if I have weapons before being granted entry to drive my vehicle near the dock that I work. (I work on a tug boat). I'm a CCW permit holder and not legally allowed to enter the port with my firearm. This means I must transport to and from across the state defenseless at a time when I feel must vulnerable. Obviously a firearm is the best choice for protection but what is the next best option? Options I have considered are Flare Gun, Pepper Spray, High powered semi auto pellet gun. ( Note air guns are not considered weapons in FL). I believe I could get away with the flare gun since I literally work on a boat.
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, Shanew9943! :wave

I'm not well versed in Federal laws prohibiting firearms within the secure section of a seaport, but others have provided some input.

Since you've now made you first post to FCC without an introduction, please take the time to post you're own Introduction to FCC so the members will get to know you. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering questions!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
I have an outside the box idea a small 36 or 44 cap and ball pistol, if a convicted felon can own one and it's not illegal maybe that could make it through the loophole. At self defence range they were deadly back in the day.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hornet spray ???

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Start a letter writing campaign to have the facilities provide secure firearms storage for visitors at the gate, much like what is done at county jails?

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Your common sense and situational awareness should be primary weapon. Anything else is just a tool. Speaking of tools, I always keep a giant can of capsaicin bear spray (from Amazon) in each car. It's like a very hot pepper spray & can soak your target(s) up to 30 feet away. Just thinking outside of the box. It can be great for situations like yours and when you're in jogging, walking or riding a bike and want a quieter means for K9 repellant than always being guncentric.
https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Frontiersman-Holster-Options-Multi-Pack/dp/B002E6VAHK/

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I have an outside the box idea a small 36 or 44 cap and ball pistol, if a convicted felon can own one and it's not illegal maybe that could make it through the loophole. At self defence range they were deadly back in the day.
I would do this if you want a gun.

. . . If legal under USC.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
Start a letter writing campaign to have the facilities provide secure firearms storage for visitors at the gate, much like what is done at county jails?
Great idea ^^^

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Yes!!
And maybe make sure those letters are addressed to Florida lawmakers?

However, the downside is that if storage is mandated, it makes it easier to have "gun-free zones", and it potentially opens the door to registration, lists, confiscation, etc.., etc..
Then there is the issue of how, (and how securely) your weapons are stored, even if the State were to enact minimum guidelines.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes!!
And maybe make sure those letters are addressed to Florida lawmakers?

However, the downside is that if storage is mandated, it makes it easier to have "gun-free zones", and it potentially opens the door to registration, lists, confiscation, etc.., etc..
Then there is the issue of how, (and how securely) your weapons are stored, even if the State were to enact minimum guidelines.
Most people of these facilities are privately owned or operated... I don’t see that happening...

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If the seaports were worried about you being able to carry, they could have a small parking lot outside their secured area for you to park your vehicle. But I don’t see that happening either.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If the seaports were worried about you being able to carry, they could have a small parking lot outside their secured area for you to park your vehicle. But I don’t see that happening either.
Yeah, for the company I work for I’d say it’s a non issue. Shoot, they stopped giving us vouchers for required PPE, I highly doubt they’ll spend money on gun storage!

It’s simple, don’t bring it to work. Get caught, get fired. That as far as they‘ve thought it through.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Yeah, for the company I work for I’d say it’s a non issue. Shoot, they stopped giving us vouchers for required PPE, I highly doubt they’ll spend money on gun storage!

It’s simple, don’t bring it to work. Get caught, get fired. That as far as they‘ve thought it through.

^^^ Unfortunately, this!!!

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I would do this if you want a gun.

. . . If legal under USC.

-on Tapatalk
Is this a legal option under USC?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-revolvers/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/567338580/pietta-model-new-army-caliber-black-powder-revolver-with-starter-kit/705821.uts?slotId=7

^^you around? :grin

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You might want to talk to a nearby hotel, especially if you are a member of their rewards program. I would stop in at a nearby Hilton when I went to visit my son on base. They would let me store my firearm in a safe box there. It helps if you come in with a treat like cookies, donuts, or pizza when you first approach them. Go there during the day when the GM will usually be there, and ask to speak to him/ her. Most chains are very gracious to their members, especially if they are in the top tier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts