Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on the Bill Jackson’s website and thought it was interesting. They sell Champion safes.

In all the videos the Champion is attached to the anchor tractor. The tractor doing the pulling is attached to the competitor’s safe. I’m no structural engineer and wonder if the results would be the exact same if they changed positions? I don’t think it should matter that much but wonder if there is any difference on the load being applied? What says you engineering types out there? Would it matter? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
When you are going to buy any safe, First thing that is really important is how fire resistant is it.
Personally, I do not think any burglars are going to get into any safe or carry it out if bolted to the ground.
The Burglars that you worry about are the HOME INVADERS that will torture you for the combination and that is happening a lot on TV shows.( Don't Know about real life)
Just get a safe that you can afford, One that will hold all of your stuff and you like the looks of and never tell anyone you have it.
Ronnie

·
Registered
20,414 Posts
i'll try to remember that in case someone pulls into my house with a bulldozer...

·
Super Moderator
27,506 Posts
When you are going to buy any safe, First thing that is really important is how fire resistant is it.
Personally, I do not think any burglars are going to get into any safe or carry it out if bolted to the ground.
The Burglars that you worry about are the HOME INVADERS that will torture you for the combination and that is happening a lot on TV shows.( Don't Know about real life)
Just get a safe that you can afford, One that will hold all of your stuff and you like the looks of and never tell anyone you have it.
Ronnie
You are joking about the bolded, right?

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
No, I am not. I really do not think there is a brand name safe out there that can be gotten into by the burglar that comes across it by accident.
I would worry more about having a fire in the house then someone getting into the safe.
There may be a problem if someone knows you have a safe full of guns and you are going away for a week leaving your house empty.
Then they may try to get into the safe but this is a very rare occasion.
There are really no FIRE PROOF safes but there are fire resistant one for so many minutes
They all have the feature of keeping the guns from being taken.
And it is way better to have a gun safe then not have one.
Ronnie

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Engineering type here.

There are several issues with that test.

1. The competing safes seem to be welded/bolted together, and caught in a tug-of-war.
2. The safes are not fully supported.
3. The champion safe was being pulled at roughly a 90 degree angle, where the competing safe was being pulled upwards, which gave a mechanical advantage to the tractor pulling it.

In the first test, one safe had a 11 gauge steel body (1/8"") while the other had a 12 gauge body (7/64"). This is a 1/64" difference. Statistically insignificant for this type of test. No mention was made of the strength of the actual locking mechanism.

Both doors are composite, which means they are not solid steel.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The new trend is for the home invaders to lock you up in the safe before they leave your house (if the safe large enough)
The thing to do is to keep an old cell phone in the safe hidden. Old phones still call 911.
Told to me by a deputy in Oregon.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Interesting. If I’m ever still alive after a home invasion that occurs when I’m home and they can put me in my safe, then my time is up. (y)

Being locked up in your safe reminds me of the scene in Harlem Nights where they locked Phil Cantone in the bank safe and Eddie Murphy tells him how to breathe to make it till Monday morning. 🤣

Fast forward to the 5:45 mark. Click --> here

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The new trend is for the home invaders to lock you up in the safe before they leave your house (if the safe large enough)
The thing to do is to keep an old cell phone in the safe hidden. Old phones still call 911.
Told to me by a deputy in Oregon.
If you can see, and maneuver, I would think most "quality" safes would have an internal mechanism to unlock the door from the inside.

But now that you mention it, I will have to go check mine. :)

As for a cell phone in a metal box.... OK. Maybe.. If you're a Verizon customer.
(Sorry, just have to dig on AT&T a little since I truly hate them with.... nevermind. Another time maybe..)

But seriously, if you're going to equip a safe with some sort of communications, you might be better off to wire up a simple DC circuit (w/crank) pair of wires to your neighbor's house (underground of course), to ring a bell and/or light. I'm not sure I'd want to trust anything that relies on radio waves working inside a metal box. (although an external antenna would help, but that requires drilling.)

If you're forced at gunpoint to open a safe large enough to hold YOU, it might be a good idea (if you can get away with it in the moment) to re-spin the handle back (which should auto-lock), and then the door won't re-close with the locking paws extended.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ok....
I got in my safe today and closed the door, then activated the old cell phone.
It works and it will call 911.
I must say it was creepie in there, a little Closter phobic.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts