Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local FFL buddy just emailed me and said he can get me either a Springfield EMP in 9mm or a Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm... either for $1000 even including fees, shipping, etc. I have to make a decision today.

Here's what I know are the obvious differences:

1) The Kimber's include only 1 mag, the EMP comes with 3.
2) The Kimber's have the front and rear grip checkering, the EMP only has rear checkering.
3) From what I've read, the Ultra CDP II is really just the .45 frame, but resized for the 9mm round. The EMP was actually rebuilt around the 9mm round and handles it better.
4) Seems like with either one, about 1 in 20 are going to have an issue that requires returning it to the manufacturer. Hopefully I won't be that one. However, as it relates to customer service, seems like a lot of people ***** about Kimber's customer service, but rave about SA's customer service.

Presently I own a full size SA GI 1911-A1 model that's been flawless. I've never owned a Kimber.

I welcome any advice, any gotchas, and any comments on my points above. I would, however, request that you only reply if you actually have or have had one of these two guns or if you've dealt with the customer service folks of either. If you've never had either, please spare me your opinion. :)

NOTE: I know one typical response I'll get is "go to the local gun store and handle both" or "go to the range and test fire both". I have three local ranges. None have these guns. I've called four local stores as well. Two have the Kimber; none have the EMP. I'll be handling the Kimber at one of the stores at lunch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a EMP for my lady and she loves it. It is her favorite pistol. I broke it in by shooting 3 IDPA matches with it, the only thing it requires is to be kept wet, "it no like being dry." It is accurate and easy to carry, I would not let her carry anything I did not trust 100%.

Good Luck

Bruce

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I have an EMP ...it shoots great, no feeding problems out of the box and is easy to carry. Now...I did have a little problem after 150 rounds....the grip safety broke. That's the bad news....the good news is that I called SA.... they emailed me FEDEX postage to send it to them. I sent it to them on a Monday...I received the gun back on Friday. They went through it and it has not missed a lick since. I also have a Kimber, but it is a Pro Carry II in 45. Have not used their customer service as I have had no problems with it at all. Hope that helps you some...Good Luck.... ebl

Note: Calling Shadow.....are you going to chime in????

·
Registered
514 Posts
I also have a EMP 9 with the grey g10 grips . Its a great little pistol . That said i have been thinking of selling it to get another item my eye has been on

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Magna750... PM me and let me know how much you'd be willing to sell it for and what part of FL your in. I might be willing to go used.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EMP!:grin Is there a specific reason you want to go with the 1911 style format in 9mm?
In a nutshell, its sort of just to have something different. I have a full size SA 1911A1 in .45. I also have other guns in .380, .40, and other calibers. Presently I don't have anything in 9mm (sold my last 9mm Glock when I got my .40 Glock). .45 is getting a little easier to get, but its still not as easy to find as .40 or 9mm... and 9mm is definitely cheaper than .45 these days. I figured for a concealed carry, going 9mm might make it a bit lighter and perhaps a bit thinner, plus I can get a few more rounds into the same form factor as the .45. I think my one gripe about the EMP vs the Ultra CDP II is that I prefer the flush fitting mags of the Kimber. I'm not sure I like the plastic protruding end of the mag on the EMP. Then again, I think I can live with it. Also... I love my full size .45 1911, but I shot my friends ultra carry Kimber in .45 and thought the recoil was a bit much on the shorter barrel. Having owned quite a few 9mm's in the past with various barrel lengths, I think I prefer the lower recoil of the 9mm on the shorter barrel. One could argue stopping or take down power in a concealed carry and the .45 will win. But in my opinion a 9mm hollowpoint and less barrel movement due to lower recoil compensates a bit. On the flip side... going with a .45 in either allows me to swap mags with my full size 1911, but that's not a huge issue for me as mags are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Both are nice pistols. Hate to sound bias but the CDP II is one of Kimbers best. I like the checking under the trigger guard really enhances the purchase of the pistol. I have the Ultra carry II in .45 and it very accurate for me, pretty much point of aim under 12 yards. In 9mm it might be even sweeter in accuracy. As long a you use Kimpro mags or quality mags with skirted followers and change the springs on time it should function flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I went with the EMP in 9mm. I was down at the new Shoot Straight store on Southern Blvd. They have an awesome selection of some harder to find guns, including the EMP. It was marked at $1345, but I got it for $1099. Shot it right then and there at their range. Awesome gun. Unfortunately, there are times when I need a featherweight carry, so now I have to figure out where to get the cash to buy the Sig P238. :)

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
What Para isn't good enough?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, I do like the Para's, but they're known for using parts that aren't interchangeable with standard 1911's. If you just want a Para, they're great. If you want a good level of part compatibility, there are better choices than Para. Don't get me wrong... I'm not bashing them... I think they're good guns. However, I already had an SA mil-spec and now also have some other 1911's. I opted for the EMP based on the price as well as the fact that my SA mil-spec has been 100% flawless and for at least some level of part compatibility. Honestly, I also like to have an ultra-compact featherweight carry gun... which is where the Sig P238 comes in (to replace my LCP) with something more 1911 style.

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
Actually, I do like the Para's, but they're known for using parts that aren't interchangeable with standard 1911's. If you just want a Para, they're great. If you want a good level of part compatibility, there are better choices than Para. Don't get me wrong... I'm not bashing them... I think they're good guns. However, I already had an SA mil-spec and now also have some other 1911's. I opted for the EMP based on the price as well as the fact that my SA mil-spec has been 100% flawless and for at least some level of part compatibility. Honestly, I also like to have an ultra-compact featherweight carry gun... which is where the Sig P238 comes in (to replace my LCP) with something more 1911 style.
I was going to get the PDA because its DA :D

·
Registered
54,593 Posts
I was going to get the PDA because its DA :D
It's an Para with the LDA trigger. The LDA trigger is NOT a real DA trigger [ hint, light double action isn't a true DA trigger system. ] Geesh!!!!!! The plethora of information you post that's not correct or that you have no experience with and so can't post a real first hand opinion is amazing :dunno

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Not a Para fan.

Supp0rtLinux, nice price on that EMP. Enjoy!

·
Registered
54,593 Posts
What Para isn't good enough?
Any Para made in NC since they moved the plant, QC has been spotty at best and I won't trade into a NC made Para at any price here at the shop. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
54,593 Posts
Well, I went with the EMP in 9mm. I was down at the new Shoot Straight store on Southern Blvd. They have an awesome selection of some harder to find guns, including the EMP. It was marked at $1345, but I got it for $1099. Shot it right then and there at their range. Awesome gun. Unfortunately, there are times when I need a featherweight carry, so now I have to figure out where to get the cash to buy the Sig P238. :)
As RCR posted, that's an excellent price on that gun,

congratulations on the new acquisition.

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
It's an Para with the LDA trigger. The LDA trigger is NOT a real DA trigger [ hint, light double action isn't a true DA trigger system. ] Geesh!!!!!! The plethora of information you post that's not correct or that you have no experience with and so can't post a real first hand opinion is amazing :dunno
Pretty sure LDA stands for Light Double Action....

Whatever you say:thumsup

BTW i have held all of these guns because i wanted a 9x19 1911 but realized the platform wasn't for me...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts