Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the scoop is on these mags that have been delayed for months? I am beginning to think it'd be easier to lay hands on a pound of plutonium than it would be to find a few of these magazines. Every place I've looked is out, mags on back order, no idea when more might arrive.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya! I already picked one up but haven't even taken it out of the package since I can't get any extra mags yet. I try to have at least 10 for each gun I own, which isn't many compared to most folks here. The range I go to most often is an indoor job and it doesn't pay to get on the line unless you've already loaded up most of what you plan to shoot. Mission impossible with only the two mags that came with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
CLos was shooting a Plus at last week's class. He told me that he had the same issues finding mags but was able to get some but I don’t remember where. I’ll ask him to respond.

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Still waiting to buy a shield + after the mags are available. We still can't get any other than what comes with the gun.
Same at my local shop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I usually buy one or two extra magazines for a handgun and make sure I shoot 150-200 rounds through them as a break in. I’d go broke breaking in 10 magazines for each pistol!

·
Registered
55,823 Posts
I usually buy one or two extra magazines for a handgun and make sure I shoot 150-200 rounds through them as a break in. I’d go broke breaking in 10 magazines for each pistol!
I don't break in magazines as a general rule of thumb. Buy quality mags, hand cycle the rounds through twice per mag. If they function the gun as expected, they get put into rotation or can be used for practice.

10 mags is nothing for any of my pistols. Usually 4-5 for street use, and at least 4-5 for range use.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bought a shield plus in July. Found my LGS has some in stock but only the 13 round. 10 round I have heard you have to call Smith to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
30,664 Posts
who wants the 10 rd'ers anyway? LOL
This, since it accepts higher than 10 round capacity magazines. . . except for Barney Fife, "Oh Andy, I can't put the bullets in the gun. I makes the gun too heavy!" 🤣

Ok, I just thought of another reason one might want a 10 rnd mag; if one's carry permit is valid in a state that only allows handguns with 10 rnd mags. :unsure:

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
I don't break in magazines as a general rule of thumb. Buy quality mags, hand cycle the rounds through twice per mag. If they function the gun as expected, they get put into rotation or can be used for practice.

10 mags is nothing for any of my pistols. Usually 4-5 for street use, and at least 4-5 for range use.
Same here. (y)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts

I don’t break in mine either and all of mine are OEM factory mags.

I shoot almost exclusively Glock 9mm now. I alternate between a G34 and G17. I’ve acquired over 30 of the G17/34 mags. No idea on the number of 33/24/15/10s for the Sub 2000, G19 and G26.

The reason for so many of the G17/34 mags is two fold. One is when I’m at the range I can spend my time shooting and not reloading mags since they are charging you for an hour of range time. 30 mags gives me 510 rounds of continuous shooting and no reloading of the mags. Second, as with the course a few weekends ago, I was able to jump in and get extra firing on both lines since line two had an extra opening. I could afford to blow through 8-10 mags if needed without running out. That and it always pays to have way more ammo then you need. Unless of course your trying to swim with it. Reminds me of the saying, “don’t steal one more link of chain that you can swim with.” :unsure:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With my Shield, I have two 8-round mags and 11 of the 10-round mag versions. For carry I use 10-rounders exclusively unless on the rare occasion I am wearing something that isn't suitable to cover well with the extended mag, then I'll put an 8-rounder in the gun and carry two 10-rounders on the other side. Those mags stay loaded with Hornady CD and don't get mixed with the range mags.
For a range trip to the indoor range, time starts when you hit the line, so I bring a sackful of mags with me and load up (the better part of) a couple boxes at a time there, then hit the line. I may or may not shoot all of them in one trip, but if I do I'm not paying to sit around loading mags. Loading on the line doesn't sit well with folks waiting their turn on the line either. That's my reason for buying at least 10 mags.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for giving it a shot, edgehill. If I come across any of these mags available, I'll resurrect the thread and pass the word.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all, Yeah the Shield Plus that I was using at this last class was a new acquisition (was using the Shield 2.0 with 8+1) but mags were tough to find. Found that link that I gave Edgehill after not finding them in like 20 other sites. I paid a little more but I wanted to have them for the class so I picked up like 6 of the 13rd mags. Of course once I received them, I started getting notifications from half a doz sites, that they were back in stock. LOL

I still have my email registered with a bunch of retailers so if I get a notification, I'll pass it along.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts