Florida Concealed Carry banner

S. Carolina May start carrying out executions by firing squad

4K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  rayman 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Funny, I read something yesterday that got me thinking about all the issues surrounding the lethal injections and the thought came to me - why don't they just administer a shot to the head? Quick , easy and painless. Problem solved. So many people are so weak-minded! If you commit a hideous crime and get the death penalty, you should get a month to get right with God, then you're done!

#5 ·
I still don't get why the states that favor Capital Punishment and lethal injection don't come together and finance their own compounding facility, or contract with a facility on an "on demand" basis... Are there still patents on Sodium Thiopental or Pentobarbital, or the synthetic curare derivatives? Perhaps Texas is doing this, as they seem to find the Pentobarbital when they need it.

It seems clear to me that lethal injection is the most humane method in use today. Look at some of the other countries with capital punishment that have adopted it over firing squads (China, Thailand, even Vietnam)... Look at the level of energy the anti-death penalty forces have put into condemning lethal injection (in an effort to keep it from becoming "mainstream")... They want executions to appear as barbaric as possible, in an effort to get them outlawed.

As another alternative, besides the firing squad, I'd like to see them consider nitrogen gas (as opposed to Cyanide). Still, I would much prefer lethal injection over all other methods. I don't oppose firing squad, but there could be a reasonable argument made that it is "cruel and unusual," as it may take a few seconds before the body goes unconscious and into shock... I just don't want the anti-death penalty folk to have the opportunity to say it is...

:popcorn

#6 ·
I hear what your saying but, why are they worried about cruel and unusual punishment for people that are animals and have caused MUCH more cruel and unusual punishment for their victims. It makes no sense

#8 ·
I am all for these animals dying the same way their victim(s) died. But that is my opinion.

#13 ·
I wonder if (around WW2 time) the "International Law" recommendation would be the same if lethal injection had been in place at that time. I would gather that hanging was "recommended" because it had become mainstream in Europe and other WW2 countries, as opposed to other methods. It was either that or the firing squad and I'm thinking that hanging would seem a bit less "barbaric..." assuming they got the drop to weight ratio right.

#12 ·
PUBLIC HANGING
Telavised and un edited.
Then you will see crime drop in America
Ronnie

#15 ·
If these monsters need to be executed for a horrible crime. HANG THEM TILL DEAD.
I don't think any of them need to be coddled and respected at all.
They sure did not respect the people they raped, killed or did harm to.
EFFF THEM
Ronnie

#18 ·
Did you mean the "real" person's death took 15-20 seconds or did you mean the death as depicted in this clip?

If the latter, then I'd argue that no one checked the condemned so how could they know he was dead in 15-20 seconds.

Still, an interesting clip, made even more interesting by the actor who played Pierrepoint... none other then "Peter Pettigrew" himself (Timothy Spall).

#22 ·
Sadam didn't twitch (too) much

#24 ·
Your beloved dog (or cat ) gets taken to the vet when the day finally comes and they need to be put down, usually at quite an expense, but well worth it to treat a “family member” with the respect they deserve for the years of unconditional love they gave you. OTOH, a rabid dog that runs out into the street, attempting to attack you or your beloved pet DESERVES to be put down by whatever violent means necessary! When you act like a rabid animal you get treated like a rabid animal!
VERY WELL PUT .
:2thumsup
Ronnie

#25 ·
I am not anti death penalty. I am anti American death penalty. The reason behind this is because of the flaws in the system. I like the biblical requirements for death penalty cases. There has to be at least two eye witnesses to the crime. In addition, those witnesses are subject to the same penalty if it is discovered they are lying. I am convinced that will never happen.

#26 · (Edited)
I always thought the guillotine was about the most humane way to execute someone. And, of course, it was invented in a specific attempt to find a humane way of carrying out executions.

It'll probably never come back, though, because most people get squeamish at the idea of cutting someone's head off. Which, I have to say, I find kind of funny. I mean, it's okay to hang 'em, or shoot 'em, or poison 'em, but it's too icky to cut off their head?

#27 · (Edited)
I'm OK with firing squads, hanging or the electric chair as other possible methods. But there wouldn't be a drug shortage if the VA Hospitals were the primary supplier of lethal drugs for both Federal & State executions. The VA is Federally controlled. Drug companies cannot cut off pharmaceutical supplies to the VA for any reason. That might be or should be criminal. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.