Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,929 Posts
The front sight post has zero to do with point shoulder shooting?
The 3 or 4 classes we all took with Brownie, EBL and others point shoulder shooting was still low enough to not see the front sight.
1/2 hip, 3/4 hip and point shoulder were all TFS. We never saw our sights in any of the drills or classes I don’t think. It was focus on target, shoot gun. Instinctual in nature. No sights

·
Registered
18,929 Posts
Actually; I think a couple of things may be commingled here, as I’ve experienced the zipper being taught a couple of (minor) different ways, which may be somewhat confusing.

I learned the point shoulder position as being arm extened straight out from the shoulder, at shoulder height, which is below the shooter’s line of sight; sights not able to be aligned for any sight picture. I‘ve always shot point shoulder that way.

Now; the difference. At one of the later classes (which Mike attended); “the zipper‘ was presented as; one shot from 1/2 hip to the abdomen, a shot from from 3/4 hip COM, a shot from point shoulder COM, and the fourth shot to the head, using the sights.
Prior to that; I’d always fired the head shot from point shoulder. It does make sense to use the sights that are so close at that point anyway; I suppose. But; shooting from the point shoulder position is below line of sight, not using the sights.
If I’m not remembering this correctly; hopefully Brownie or EBL will set things straight, and correct me.
We did that drill at the class you are remembering. I remember it.
But I don’t think Brownie told us to use the sights for head shot. Least I didn’t. If you did you cheated. 😂

·
Registered
18,929 Posts
The only reason I ever went to the dot on my handguns was my inability to get good hits at distance with conventional sights. In my world, the potential need for handgun hits at distance is a genuine possibility. The dots became a part of my world well before threat-focused shooting became part of my repertoire. That threat-focused adaptation across the board improved my hits at distance exponentially with conventional sights. The dots, however provide me with a bit more precision.

Unless I'm doing some fine precision stuff, the dots don't help inside fifteen yards or so. My last FASTER class involved a fair amount of that closer precision. I started out with my M&P9c equipped with conventional sights, and the differences over the course of the first morning were obvious. I switched over to my DeltaPoint-equipped Glock 17 that afternoon, and the results were again immediately apparent. For precision, the dot is the best I've found for myself. Inside fifteen yards doing speed stuff, it does slow me down a bit.
Just curious what you do or what your world is where you would need hits at distance with a pistol?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts