Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it is law and what the statute is about being pulled over and having to notify the officer that you have a weapon in the vehicle?

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Statute 790.06 section 1 states that you must have your license along with proper ID and must show both if requested by LEO if you are carrying a weapon.

In my interpretation if you are asked to show the license for your gun you have to show it with your drivers license. But if you are pulled over in a traffic stop then you dont have to present it or imform the LEO you have a weapon on you. However I will always let LEO know I have a weapon on me if I get pulled over. The last thing I want is to not imform the officer and have it discovered by said cop. I would not want to be in that situation. This is because the officers would definately pull their guns.

·
Administrator
806 Posts
For the safety of everyone involved I would inform the officer that I have a permit and that I have a firearm on me. This will let the officer know right away and not have a surprise if it is seen later. This also builds trust with law enforcement. I want him to know right ip front that I'm legally carrying a concealed weapon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I am being pulled over for any reason whatsoever; I
1. pull well off the road as a courtesy to the officer.
2. Cut the engine and put on my four way flashers and inside lights
3. Pull my drivers license/carry permit and wallet and place them on the dashboard
4. Place my hands on the 11 and 1 oclock positions on the steering wheel
5. Open the window well in advance of the officer arriving at my car

No diggin around for a waller or opening glove boxes. No bluring out "I have a gun", etc.

Get some concealed carry training and this will all be explained and handed to you in a notebook. Practice it. It may keep you from a very unhappy experience some day. I have been carrying for a few years now and have yet to have anything but a happy experience with every traffice stop or border crossing. I have taken 4 concealed carry lethal force on force training programs, each one worth every cent. I have also invested AFTER the live training in a few DVD's which were interesting but no sub for live training.

The last thing I want to have done to me is getting hauled out of a car and mashed face down into the dirty pavement. Courtesy is cheap and it is appreciated by LEOs.

I always declare that I have a permit (not that I have a gun) and I always try to stay within the box for all states, which means having a lock box in the back of the minivan where I store the gun and ammo seperately when travelling in non licensed states and never using a magazine in excess of ten rounds (I carry either two or four on my weak side belt in a covered holder that looks like a cell phone holder).

Let the LEO tell you what he wants you to do once you have declared you have a permit and then on being asked that you are carrying.... never never pull out your gun and never haul it out without being asked to... you can get shot that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2 cents

I think if you were moving around in your vehicle getting your wallet and license out that might make the LEO a little uncomfortable, they usually prefer that you sit still until they can see what you're doing. I also see no reason to inform that I'm legally carrying, it's not required in Florida unless asked.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I was "lucky" enough to get pulled over a couple of months back. Got my registration, driver license, and CWFL and handed to officer. He calmly asked if I had my gun on me. When I said I did, he asked me where, and I told him holstered on my hip. Told me to keep my hands where he could see them and wait there. Ran my info. Wrote my ticket. End of story. All relatively painless.

Except for the ticket.

-JT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keep the LEO comfy as a courtesy and you will get the same courtesy back much of the time. At least that is my experience and it has also saved me a few tickets over the years. Turning on the interior lights, cutting the engine and putting your hands up top of the steering wheel means a lot... changes a traffic stop into a more comfy event for the LEO. I know many and traffic stops are not their favorite activity. Half of all 'problems' begin with a simple traffic stop.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yes, I know it's not required to disclose a legally concealed firearm in FL, BUT...

...isn't it FAR more intelligent to voluntarily disclose the presence of your legal firearm to a LEO, rather then have him or her come across it by surprise?

Think about it...

"Watch out, there's a big spider in that box."
"Okay, thanks."

...versus...

"Holy crap! Big, hairy spider!!!!"

-JT

·
Registered
297 Posts
If there is NO chance that the gun will be revealed...then I don't volunteer the info (like if it is not on me...but in the console or in my "man purse" [Maxpedition Versipack]...for example).

If I have it on my person and it could be accidentally become visible...I would most definitely inform the officer that I am a CCL holder and armed. It's only prudent as in one of the Concealed Carry classes I took back in the early 90's...we were told a story about how a guy was coming from what is now called "cowboy action" shooting...and he was still in his garb and armed with a nice SA revolver. He nearly got shot when he reached for his wallet...in his right rear pocket...and he was right handed... ;).
When he leaned forward...his revolver became visible and the officer drew on him...as well he should...but it all could have been avoided...with a little communication.

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
When I was being finger printed for my license the officer and I had a nice chat. Before I left he jokingly said, "Now don't shoot me." I told him I was on his side and I knew the law and there was no way I would ever shoot him. Besides, I said, every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

Now that I've given it more thought if I ever get pulled over I will hand the officer my driver's license along with my concealed license. I'm all for personal rights but at the same time I have a respect for police officers and for their own knowledge I would want them to know that I have a loaded gun on my person. In that particular case I would want them to know so they could assess the situation and know I'm not withholding information even if I'm within my legal rights. Again, for me I just think it would be more prudent for the officer to have a level playing field. I would rather them know up front than to find out some other way and I end up face down eating dirt. That would be most unbecoming for a lady and most embarrassing should my children witness such an event.

Just my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Duh

I just figured out that LEO means law enforcement officer. I suppose that would be the more correct way of describing a police officer and/or trooper. The learning curve can be quite humbling at times.

Be patient with this new gun owner. I'm still in the trenches learning my way around this site.

MamaBearto2

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I just figured out that LEO means law enforcement officer. I suppose that would be the more correct way of describing a police officer and/or trooper. The learning curve can be quite humbling at times.

Be patient with this new gun owner. I'm still in the trenches learning my way around this site.

MamaBearto2
Mama my dear, you are doing just fine! Keep up the good work!!

We are drawing you over to the " Dark Side " of the Force ... :rolf

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

MamaBearto2
Ain't none of us born knowing this stuff. We were all "newbies" at one time or another :)

-JT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts