Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought i would post this for the forums information to consider...
:aargJust picked up a Ruger SR40c for my concealed carry gun. Went to the range yesteday with the S.O. to test fire and was really exicted after the numerous good reviews i've on the www. Well to make a long story short right from the first magazine i encountered light strikes,changed to the extended mag and it continued. Out of the 100 rounds(federal 180 grain FMJ) we had about 12 FTF's due to light strikes
The gun shop wanted the gunsmith who wasnt there to look at it but the person i spoke to at the gun shop couldnt guarantee the repair wouldnt cost me anything.Are you kidding me its a brand new gun you just sold me a week ago.
I phoned ruger customer service and they were great,shipping it out tmmrw to their repair dept. turnaround time expected to be 7 days. hopefully they can fix the problem cause I really like the way the gun feels and shoots when it did fire. :aarg:aarg

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I believe a good thing to check for that on striker fired pistols is to clean out and degrease the striker channel.

Just because it's new doesn't mean that there can't be "stuff" in there.

I've seen new pistols range from bone dry (totally aerosol degreased) to swimming in oil, and every variation thereof.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i understand that there may be some problems with any handgun but my FNP-9 has had 1 malfunction (stovepipe i think its called) with well over 2000+ rounds.
Now I am no gun nut or aficionado but i have heard way more about Ruger than FNH and would expect the firearm to work right outa the box which my FNP9 has and my Ruger has not.
To expect someone to degrease a striker channel or whatever before firing 1 shot because the factory jammed to much grease in there to me is unacceptable.
Do you have to degrease or add oil to your new car or truck before you start it for the first time???
Its a new gun and i expect it to fire like one, if it doesnt why didnt i just buy a used one and taken my chances.
Hopefully Ruger will make it right, I would be carrying for protection and when i pull the trigger i expect it to go BANG:ak:ak

in,conclusion thank you Rick McC for input,all input is good input

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
i understand that there may be some problems with any handgun but my FNP-9 has had 1 malfunction (stovepipe i think its called) with well over 2000+ rounds.
Now I am no gun nut or aficionado but i have heard way more about Ruger than FNH and would expect the firearm to work right outa the box which my FNP9 has and my Ruger has not.
To expect someone to degrease a striker channel or whatever before firing 1 shot because the factory jammed to much grease in there to me is unacceptable.
Do you have to degrease or add oil to your new car or truck before you start it for the first time???
Its a new gun and i expect it to fire like one, if it doesnt why didnt i just buy a used one and taken my chances.
Hopefully Ruger will make it right, I would be carrying for protection and when i pull the trigger i expect it to go BANG:ak:ak

in,conclusion thank you Rick McC for input,all input is good input
I agree totally with your expectations that a carry gun should be totally reliable out of the box, and I have many that were.

I have also worked on many that weren't, some costing a lot more than a Ruger.

It is what it is; I was just advising of the most common "fix" for light primer strikes in a stock striker fired pistol, regardless of brand.

It's a less than five minute job; rather than the shipping time both ways, and the wait time in between at the factory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick update, got my SR40C back from Ruger today, 11 days total (including shipping time & 2 weekends & Pres Day) pretty good i think, going to the range Wed. with the S.O. since its ladies day and see if they fixed the darn thing. The packing slip with the repair details says they replaced the magazine disconnect, slide stop assembly, striker assembly and striker blocker and repaired the barrel (?????). will update after the range test.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update, got my SR40C back from Ruger today, 11 days total (including shipping time & 2 weekends & Pres Day) pretty good i think, going to the range Wed. with the S.O. since its ladies day and see if they fixed the darn thing. The packing slip with the repair details says they replaced the magazine disconnect, slide stop assembly, striker assembly and striker blocker and repaired the barrel (?????). will update after the range test.
well back to RUGER it goes, went to the range and had the exact same problem, different ammo used winchester instead of Federal this time and has about another 15 FTF light strikes on about 150 rounds. so its averaging about 1 out of 5 light strikes between both range visits.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dang that sucks. It's frustrating, I know. Just yesterday I had to send my brand new S&W Shield back to the factory because on the day I was cleaining it prior to it's first range trip the sear deactivation lever fell out of it into my hand. Outstanding.

I contacted the company after a week of waiting for the gun shop I bought it from to tell me they couldn't do anything with it.

Now the 2-3 week wait begins.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang that sucks. It's frustrating, I know. Just yesterday I had to send my brand new S&W Shield back to the factory because on the day I was cleaining it prior to it's first range trip the sear deactivation lever fell out of it into my hand. Outstanding.

I contacted the company after a week of waiting for the gun shop I bought it from to tell me they couldn't do anything with it.

Now the 2-3 week wait begins.
i took mine back where i bought it too, literally 15 minutes after we shot it the first time, shoot straight here in FtL, said their gunsmith could look at it but since he wasnt there at that moment, they couldnt tell me if they were going to CHARGE me or not.
charge me, i literally just bought the damn thing and it doesnt work right and you might charge me....BS
at least ruger pays shipping to and fro.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah I'm not going to be charged anything for a brand new gun out of the box. If they said they could fix it for a charge I'd just send it back in. I'm not giving anyone a dime like that. If they could fix it and treat it like a warranty thing, ok, but I'm not spending anything for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so got the Sr40c back from Ruger yesterday and looks like they did some trigger repair this time. replaced trigger assembly, trigger bar lift spring and trigger bar reset and the ejector. sounds like to me they're just replacing parts since the 1st time they replaced striker assembly, mag d/c, striker blocker, slide stop assembly and some sort of barrel repair.
says they shot 100 rounds of different types of ammo thru it with no FTFs.
going to the range on Monday, we shall see.

i also just removed the magazine disconnect as many on this and other boards have suggested. hopefully goes bang and not click. will report back with a range report.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so got the Sr40c back from Ruger yesterday and looks like they did some trigger repair this time. replaced trigger assembly, trigger bar lift spring and trigger bar reset and the ejector. sounds like to me they're just replacing parts since the 1st time they replaced striker assembly, mag d/c, striker blocker, slide stop assembly and some sort of barrel repair.
says they shot 100 rounds of different types of ammo thru it with no FTFs.
going to the range on Monday, we shall see.

i also just removed the magazine disconnect as many on this and other boards have suggested. hopefully goes bang and not click. will report back with a range report.
You have a update?

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
You have a update?
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, Awfdahuk!

Since you've now made you first post to FCC, IN A 5+ YEAR OLD THREAD no less, without first making an introduction, please now take the time to post you're own Introduction to FCC letting forum members get to know you a little, particularly with regard to our inherent right to keep and bear arms. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering your questions! Also, if you're a veteran, take a look at our Military Service Thread where you'll find many of us there, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a sr40c shot over 2000 rounds never 1 issue, love it! Clean it about every 5 clips, not that it needs it, just like taking care of my baby! Use Lazer cartridge, snap caps, Winchester, Federal, Cci bronze, great gun, Federal seems a bit tighter groups, but all are just fine, 25 yrds pretty much hit 6" group, I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
My very first gun was the SR9c and it never had any failures while I owned it (high round count, don’t remember what it was). I sold it to a coworker looking for a good HD pistol and he loved it.

Weird tho, mine didn’t come with any clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
Have a sr40c shot over 2000 rounds never 1 issue, love it! Clean it about every 5 clips, not that it needs it, just like taking care of my baby! Use Lazer cartridge, snap caps, Winchester, Federal, Cci bronze, great gun, Federal seems a bit tighter groups, but all are just fine, 25 yrds pretty much hit 6" group, I'm happy with that.
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, jshoup67! 🍻

Since you've now made you first post to FCC, IN A 7+ YEAR OLD THREAD no less, with the last post over 2 years ago without first making an introduction, please now take the time to post you're own Introduction to, FCC letting forum members get to know you a little, particularly with regard to our inherent right to keep and bear arms. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering your questions! Also, if you're a veteran, take a look at our Military Service Thread where you'll find many of us there, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts