Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Been carrying for over a year now, I carry a Taurus PT145 in softside IWB, with a spare mag in my pocket.
I have been watching and reading the news and some of the stories hit really close to home. Below is a very recent news article. Givin this article lets assume you are a carrying concealed, and are in the store at the very moment this happens, what would you do????
Thanks

PALM HARBOR -- A young man ordered pharmacy employees and customers to the floor and shot into the ceiling while demanding prescription drugs during a pharmacy robbery this morning, sheriff's officials say.

The man walked into the St. George Pharmacy at 31201 U.S. 19 N about 10 a.m., brandished a handgun, told everyone to lie down and fired a single shot into the ceiling. No one was hurt, and the robber ran out with a cache of drugs, though investigators haven't said what kind or quantity of drugs were taken.

Sheriff's officials described the robber as a white man between 18 and 30, standing 5 feet, 9 inches to 6 feet tall and weighing 165 to 195 pounds. He was last seen wearing a dark jacket.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
For the record, I REALLY HATE "what if...?" and "what would you do...?" scenarios. There are too many factors that just cannot be appreciated or evaluated if you're not there, not to mention stress, adrenalin, etc.

My blanket statement will be this: if one feels a threat poses a risk to your life or to the lives of others around you, and you have the means and will to eliminate that threat, then do so.

-JT

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Firstly welcome Sheepdog27. It's good to have you on this forum :drinks.

In a scenario like that if I had any kind of advantage depending on where in the pharmacy I was I would shoot. I'll tell you why. If the robber comes in and wants to rob the place and just goes for the cashier and the cashier complies and he leaves then I would not get involved. If as in this situation he fires a shot and orders me and everyone else to get on the ground then I've just become a sitting duck for murder. He has demonstrated that he will use his weapon and he is putting us in a position where we would be totally helpless if he wanted to execute people. That is reason enough for me to defend myself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JT, as I am new here, and just trying to get a feeling for the forums. I felt like I wanted to post the senario to see what other folks think on these forums.

I have to say that while you may HATE these "WHAT IF" scenarios, there a lot of us who go thru these situations in their own heads, to try to see every angle.
It's probably one of the reasons the Forum was created.
For me, listening to others recount or come up with "What If" scenarios, is helpful as it lets me look at different points of views of others, take into my account of the situation, and my training, and my threat levels, my knowledge of the laws, and determine what I might do.
I agree there are too many variables to come up with a "this is the right way, and this is the wrong way to do this". However its the thinking about the different scenarios, that helps us to learn more about the possibilities available to us, and what would be the mostly "Right way" to deal with the situations.
You can never be 100% right, but thats not the point, its understanding all the views that helps us decide in our own mind what we would do!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I had no intention of making anyone feel unwelcome, and if I did so, I apologize.

But I really do hate those scenarios :)

It comes out of years of martial arts training and having to answer questions of "What woud you do if I did...?" Invariably, I'd have to tell the person I couldn't say for sure, until it actually happened. They'd insist on trying...they'd get hurt...now I'm the bad guy all of the sudden.

If you try to explain all the reasons why you can't say for sure what you'd do, people think you're trying to make excuses. If you do end up demonstrating, and you do it lightly so as not to hurt them, the technique will often fail because the person turns into a smartarse on you and does something different. If you do the technique CORRECTLY, then the person often gets hurt, and YOU become the jerk.

So, I guess I've just decided to be a jerk up front :)

On a more serious note, I DO value the situations where folks explain what to do or what they've done AFTER a defensive shoot. There are so many legal, mental, and emotional issues, it helps to try to get as much of that info as possible, just in case. I've seen quite a few things explaining what to do with the police, lawyers, etc. after a defensive shoot, but precious little about what can happen mentally and emotionally, and how to deal with it.

-JT

·
Registered
88 Posts
I saw the video of this robbery i belive, and i thought i saw in the video that he made the patron in the store lay down, then ordered the two people behind the counter for various ****. Also belive in the video i saw him actually put his weapon on the counter to stuff **** in his bag. If i were one of the pharmacy tech's, when the gun hit the counter and the bag was in one hand and loot in the other thats when my glock would have came out. now if i were the patron behind the suspect the second the gun was not pointed directly at an employee or me, i would have drew.:pistols

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
Firstly welcome Sheepdog27. It's good to have you on this forum :drinks.

In a scenario like that if I had any kind of advantage depending on where in the pharmacy I was I would shoot. I'll tell you why. If the robber comes in and wants to rob the place and just goes for the cashier and the cashier complies and he leaves then I would not get involved. If as in this situation he fires a shot and orders me and everyone else to get on the ground then I've just become a sitting duck for murder. He has demonstrated that he will use his weapon and he is putting us in a position where we would be totally helpless if he wanted to execute people. That is reason enough for me to defend myself.
I completely agree. We occasionally shoot stages in IDPA matches where you start lying face down in a robbery scenario. I always complain that this is exceedingly unrealistic, because unless I get knocked down, or I somehow perceive some obscure tactical advantage by doing so, I am never going to comply with an to order to "get on the floor" from a BG.

No point in making it easy for them to kill you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It is very possible that the CCW would by fate be in the middle of a situation. I suggest the CCW approach this event as any other and not feel safe just because it is a retail setting. A detective was shot recently in such a setting. This detective was actually aware of the individuals somewhat. He was a trained undercover police officer that was following known and suspected individuals. My thinking is that he was just a tad slow on the trigger and took a stomach wound as a result. These folks are dangerous and should be regarded as such.

·
Registered
56 Posts
what if ????????????

it's a very bad mistake to make comments on any public forum ,if you did find yourself in such a situation... what you said could come back and bite you in the ass.could mean the differance between guilty or not guilty manslaughter charge :eek::pistols

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
it's a very bad mistake to make comments on any public forum ,if you did find yourself in such a situation... what you said could come back and bite you in the ass.could mean the differance between guilty or not guilty manslaughter charge :eek::pistols
You have a good point but That might be a risk I'm willing to take. The reason is that I would never consider breaking the law or write on a forum about doing so. I do discuss scenarios and what I would do. If I had to defend myself from harm I would do so and worry about prosecution later. Judged by six, carried by twelve I think is what they say. Sound provocative but I don't want to die by the hands of a criminal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts