Florida Concealed Carry banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
My closest experience I have to a vehicle situation was 33 years ago at the ripe old age of 21. Disclaimer: I was young, stupid, cocky, reckless and escalated the situation.

I was exiting the Palmetto Expressway (826) on Okeechobee Road (South Florida) coming home from the university with my wife. I was the second car at the red light at the off-ramp waiting to turn left/east. The light turned green and the first car didn’t move. I gave a quick and short beep beep on the horn and they took-off. As I was passing them on the right, 4-5 guys (around my age) had the windows rolled down and started yelling obscenities at me and flipping me the bird. Rather than ignore them, I moved my car to the left, got real close to their car and slapped the top of the front fender/hood area, yelled out a healthy F-You and kept going.

All was well until I got to a red light and they were behind me with nowhere for me to go. I was looking through my rear view mirror and saw when all their doors flew open. I quickly reached behind me under the passenger seat and pulled out my 1911 colt 45 officer model. I opened my door and stepped out while half racking the slide and yelling “If you don’t get back in that f’ing car...” I never finished the sentence. The driver who was closest to me yelled “GUN!” and they all did a 360, jumped in their car and the driver made a u-Turn with tires screeching with one of the doors still open. BTW - I did see that one of them had a bat or club of some sort.

I learned a lot of lessons related to never getting myself in that sort of situation, controlling my temper, not allowing myself to be locked-in behind another car at a traffic light, etc. However, one important one had to do with why I half racked the slide. I had been at the range that day and shot all my ammo. I wanted them to see I was armed and hear that slide without it locking open.

Oh, to be young again
I suggest not. You survived youth (as did we all) so stay OLD!:LOL:

·
Registered
10 Posts
right...itll just leave you defenseless...clever... No, not clever at all.
You obviously have never fired a pistol from inside a car with the resulting consequences - I have. Once your eardrums are damaged, you're pretty much defenseless anyway. But perhaps you drive around wearing ear protection all the time...I don't.

Next time I'll deploy pepper gel spray first - YOU do as you please.

Case closed.

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
You obviously have never fired a pistol from inside a car with the resulting consequences - I have. Once your eardrums are damaged, you're pretty much defenseless anyway. But perhaps you drive around wearing ear protection all the time...I don't.

Case closed.
I have been in a vehicle with windows rolled up [ it was winter time in New England ]. A 77 Grand Prix, gun was a 45acp 1911. Sitting in the passenger seat when the driver had an ND into the floor. That was when I was 27. Today at just shy of 69, I've suffered more hearing loss from a year on an artillery battery overseas in 1970 than that 45 in the vehicle.

Though I fully agree firing inside a closed vehicle isn't ideal, when one really knows what they're doing, the sound can be lessened quite a bit by placing the muzzle against the glass. Doing so also affords the round to travel as close to it's intended path with less deflection. Most would not have that knowledge, nor wold most think to place the muzzle on the glass.

I'll take my chances with the firearm myself. I don't trust spray to do much other than the closest people and the window will have to be rolled down or be penetrated from the outside to be able to use a spray. If the hole made on penetration of the interior doesn't blow out the full window, one might be left with a less than ideal area to get the spray to the outside of the vehicle. All under imminent threat of being dragged from the vehicle.

It's not that you're wrong or anyone else is right, it's a matter of opinion, sometimes based on limited or no experience.

·
Registered
20,253 Posts

Case closed.
as you wish....i guess you take exception to sharing a fact about pepper spray...i am very sensitive to it and some arent at all...i would hate to find out the hard way...even a blind sufferingman can beat me to death if they choose...i will take hearing loss over possible permanent physical damage or death as a trade...

·
Registered
10 Posts
as you wish....i guess you take exception to sharing a fact about pepper spray...i am very sensitive to it and some arent at all...i would hate to find out the hard way...even a blind sufferingman can beat me to death if they choose...i will take hearing loss over possible permanent physical damage or death as a trade...
Not taking any exception at all - just don't choose to go on and on ad-infinitum, thus my "Case Closed" comment.

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
🤣

·
Registered
84 Posts
Once the vehicle has been BREACHED... glass is broken THROUGH, that's the same as IN. At that point, it is reasonable to be in fear of grievous bodily harm. There's now NOTHING between you and that club or brick.

To me... as soon as the glass breaks, it's go time.

Are you going to wait until they actually hit you in the head before you defend yourself? Are you going to wait until they "enter" the car with the CINDER BLOCK or REBAR?
Smile, watch the muzzle flash cause I ain't taking ya pix!

·
Registered
3 Posts
question and i am sure someone asked it already. if i am in say orlando and there is a protest going on
and we are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with NO WAY OUT and the "protestors" start smashing cars
with bricks, or metal objects, etc. is it lawful to draw your weapon from say your middle counsel where
it is stored or your holster and use it to protect yourself if a "protestor" starts smashing YOUR driver's side window
or any window in your car. also, what if the "protestor" is not breaking the windows, but just smashing
the other parts of your car with a 2 by 4. i am witnessing this on tv and other social media sites and would
like to know my rights of protection. thanks to all for the information....

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
question and i am sure someone asked it already. if i am in say orlando and there is a protest going on
and we are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with NO WAY OUT and the "protestors" start smashing cars
with bricks, or metal objects, etc. is it lawful to draw your weapon from say your middle counsel where
it is stored or your holster and use it to protect yourself if a "protestor" starts smashing YOUR driver's side window
or any window in your car. also, what if the "protestor" is not breaking the windows, but just smashing
the other parts of your car with a 2 by 4. i am witnessing this on tv and other social media sites and would
like to know my rights of protection. thanks to all for the information....
Yup, good question that was already asked and discussed recently. So your thread has been merged with that one so you can see all the previous discussion! If you don't find your answer in this thread, ask away and the discussion will continue! :cool:

·
Registered
20,253 Posts
if you dont fear for your life or great bodily harm at that point you are one calm and fool ass individual...waiting for the mood to change and personal harm to be their goal may be too late...especially as a larger crowd may gather and motivation escalates...

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
if you dont fear for your life or great bodily harm at that point you are one calm and fool ass individual...waiting for the mood to change and personal harm to be their goal may be too late...especially as a larger crowd may gather and motivation escalates...
I fear for their lives, they are in grave danger of deadly force being used against them as by it's very nature, a crowd of rioters is disparity of force if there's any aggression toward the occupants shown. Smile and wave s you walk on by the vehicle, protest all you like. Get aggressive, battery the vehicle, try to breach it's inner sanctum, show ANY form of intent to damage or harm the occupants, well, it goes like this

Place muzzle on glass in plain view of those at the window. Raise a bat to strike the window, a brick or any other object that would breach the interior, pull the trigger. If they persist instead of being smart and backing away from the vehicle, put vehicle in reverse and back up just a few feet. Once the ones in front charge forward, you've got multiple speed bumps to traverse.

It's not rocket science. Does it really matter if you run over one speed bump or dozens of them in an attempt to escape their disparity of force and obvious intentions to do grave bodily harm to the occupants? I don't think so personally. If you're going to be charged, if that's the result of all that, might as well take as many of these turds down as possible. Trying to push them gently with the vehicle only escalates the situation as witnessed in multiple videos. Those videos are of course used at any subsequent trial to establish one's fear of imminent grave bodily harm or death.

Some people will play silly stupid games, others will reset the game rules for them. They think they're playing softball with people, well, some of us will play hardball, the rules are different with different results.

·
Registered
20,253 Posts
I fear for their lives, they are in grave danger of deadly force being used against them as by it's very nature, a crowd of rioters is disparity of force if there's any aggression toward the occupants shown. Smile and wave s you walk on by the vehicle, protest all you like. Get aggressive, battery the vehicle, try to breach it's inner sanctum, show ANY form of intent to damage or harm the occupants, well, it goes like this

Place muzzle on glass in plain view of those at the window. Raise a bat to strike the window, a brick or any other object that would breach the interior, pull the trigger. If they persist instead of being smart and backing away from the vehicle, put vehicle in reverse and back up just a few feet. Once the ones in front charge forward, you've got multiple speed bumps to traverse.

It's not rocket science. Does it really matter if you run over one speed bump or dozens of them in an attempt to escape their disparity of force and obvious intentions to do grave bodily harm to the occupants? I don't think so personally. If you're going to be charged, if that's the result of all that, might as well take as many of these turds down as possible. Trying to push them gently with the vehicle only escalates the situation as witnessed in multiple videos. Those videos are of course used at any subsequent trial to establish one's fear of imminent grave bodily harm or death.

Some people will play silly stupid games, others will reset the game rules for them. They think they're playing softball with people, well, some of us will play hardball, the rules are different with different results.
turn the wheel and back up to clear the side threat...power forward to escape the forward aggressors...someone has to understand there are consequences to their actions...no senset shattering any glass until there isnt anywhere else to go...then all bets are off...ultimately, survival and escape are necessary...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup, good question that was already asked and discussed recently. So your thread has been merged with that one so you can see all the previous discussion! If you don't find your answer in this thread, ask away and the discussion will continue! :cool:
thank you...

61 - 77 of 77 Posts