Florida Concealed Carry banner

Rifle shooting

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  bttbbob 
#1 ·
How many of you consider yourself a rifleman? I do. It is a history of competitive shooting, qualifying and teaching.
I am not all of that. I am a student of the gun. And that entails all small arms. The government actually calls me an expert in small arms. The federal courts classify me as an expert witness. News stations call me an expert witness.
But first and foremost I am a student of the gun. One That passes on 45 yrs of instructional experience.

My best advise to rifle shooters is simple.

Your bullet strike is your best teacher. It never lies. It gives you a perfect picture of what you do correctly and what you do wrong. It is a history of your fundamentals. By logging it and every subsequent shot, you learn more than any YouTube video could ever teach. It will find every small mistake you make.

#2 ·
I'm a rifleman of my hunting rifles. I'm minute of vitals. Never been a long range paper puncher or steel shooter. But I've hit and killed my fair share out to 350 - 400 yards. Missed my fair share too!

Takes a good rest and time. Sometimes you have neither when hunting and I don't take those shots of I can help it. I need to practice more at longer ranges for sure though.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Well.... relative to the general population, I consider myself a rifleman (and pistolman, if that's a word).

But, then if I look at myself relative to the likes of you or Brownie... and I feel like an intermediate amateur, at best.

It is a history of competitive shooting, qualifying and teaching.
I've done a few competitive matches. I qualified Pistol "Expert" a long time ago in the Navy (which means little to nothing, really). I've taught friends and family on an informal basis.

Your bullet strike is your best teacher. It never lies. It gives you a perfect picture of what you do correctly and what you do wrong. It is a history of your fundamentals. By logging it and every subsequent shot,
Well... I keep more records of my shooting than most (including photos of all my targets). :geek: I'm mostly self-taught with the occasional instruction from Brownie and you. Sure, I've watched some videos and read some articles and even complete books.... but, range time is what it takes.

I think I've done fairly well with it, so far. 😁 It's an ongoing pursuit... and it's a lot of fun.

#5 ·
Great post and great advice! (y)(y)

#6 ·
I was an expert rifleman using iron sights when I left the island in Jan 1970. Since then I've competed in events like Camp Perry regionally with irons sights to 600 yrds. I've also certified as a counter sniper by HK's John Meyers [ former DoD ] and Phil Singleton [ former Brit SAS ] since 96.

There are few true riflemen, comparatively speaking ]

#7 ·
not by a long shot (see what i did there?)...i'm just a recreational shooter...

#8 ·
Not much of anything as far as shooting, but I try....but when I get lucky......I can hit the big side of a barn......shorter side is just plain holy intervention.....

#11 ·
Good advice, Bob. It certainly is a perishable skill. When I attended the sniper program at MTU Fort Benning Shooting the XM 21,I was honor graduate. Now I have a neighbor with cows about 200 yards away and I’m pretty sure I could still hit a cow somewhere on her body. I guess my long range skills could best be described as “minute of cow”

#18 ·
Same boat here, DD. I even posted a AAR here on my Appleseed experience last year. One of these days though, I'll get there. :unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.