Florida Concealed Carry banner

Renewal.... ahead of Expiration???

7K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  BrianB 
#1 · (Edited)
Is it possible (legally and procedurally) to renew one's FL CWFL in advance of its expiration (i.e. well in advance of the 60-90 day period prior to expiration)?

Point being, assuming Matt Caldwell loses the election for DOACS commissioner in the recounts, I might want to renew early to avoid any deviltry the (assumed) new dem DOACS commissioner might impose on renewals, going forward. I'm scheduled to renew in 2021, but if I can avoid any issues...

:popcorn

#3 ·
Anytime a liberal takes control of anything more complicated than a slab of concrete and a rubber ball, you're best to get ahead of the curve before they screw it up

#7 ·
Not saying that I'm not worried about her screwing things up, however other than somehow causing a slowdown which is bad enough, the licensing is controlled by the legislature, all the dept of ag does is at least theoretically is follow the law, they have nothing to do with creating the law so I really think she will find that she really has very little control. At least I hope so.

#8 ·
apply that thought to the IRS and EPA during the Oblamer years....

#10 ·
Update: Apparently, the answer to my question is no, if you want to renew via the DOACS website. They refer to the renewal notice one gets in the mail.

They require you to enter the "Tracking" number you see above, when you renew on-line. Not sure if this renewal form can be generated by a regional office in advance of renewal or not, such that one could renew.

We'll see. I'll get on the DOACS live chat on Monday and we'll find out.

:popcorn

#15 ·
I was about to post that I tried last year and this is what I found^^. Couldn't do anything until I got the state notice. If you find out differently let us know.
The local office couldn't do much... except to process everything in less than 15 minutes. No appointment necessary and the service was outstanding! Except for my request to take at least 50 pounds off the picture... But the guys here in Dade do an excellent job for sure!

#11 ·
The jury is in. According to the DOACS Live Chat, you cannot renew prior to receiving your renewal notice. Those are sent out roughly 150 days prior to expiration. You can then renew roughly 100 days prior to expiration.

So much for that strategy...

#12 ·
If you are worried about it you could still try waltzing into your local DACS regional office and tell them you're going to be out of the country for awhile and you'd like to go ahead and renew your license before you leave. You never know, they may do it. If it works they will hand you your new license right then and there.

#13 ·
I'm not *that* worried about it. I was just wondering if it were possible. Apparently, it is not, per the person I chatted with this morning. We'll see what she does. As stated, I don't have to renew until 2021. Perhaps, by then, whatever she might attempt to do will have been ferreted out and countered.

We'll see. :popcorn

#18 ·
I asked this in another thread a long time back and can't find it but also had another thought.

1. Can you have a duplicate license, two of them? Is that legal?
2. If you tell them you lost it, do they cancel the original and issue you a new one with a different number or is it the same number for the new one making having two easier?
3. If you do get another one and it is legal to possess two, does the new one have a different renewal license date then the original? Assuming you told them you lost the original which is why you are in the location office.

Thanks,

#19 ·
My gut reaction to that would be that you'd get the duplicate, but it would still carry the original expiration date. Whenever I've had a DL replaced (change of address, etc.), they did that, but it didn't change the renewal date or expiration date. And, since in Fl, the expiration/renewal date is your birthday....

:dunno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.