Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,323 Posts
Nope... we all did that drill. Was fun.
For me, on any given average day, the time to reload would probably be on the order of well..... several tens of seconds at best.
That - Since I don't carry spare mags, but do keep some in the Jeep center console and of course, in the safe (though not all of those are loaded, and if loaded, probably not loaded with hollow points.)
It would take a good bit of time to physically get to them.

One school of thought however, if I can't get the job done with the full magazine I'm carrying.....

Everyone's mileage varies.
I pretty much know that I'm not going to reliably carry spare mags on my person, so I just don't focus on it too much after that.
Armed every day? Yes.

· Registered
5,323 Posts
An extra mag (or more) goes deeper than just the extra number of rounds on hand. It also accounts for the possibility of a mag malfunction.

But back to capacity... and your quoted comment above... Is that assuming one assailant? What about six assailants?
At six assailants, I'd better be able to pick out the leader quick, and hope the rest scatter.
To be clear: I am definitely NOT saying extra mags are pointeless.
I'm saying: That at nearly age 60, I know myself fairly well -- and I'm just not the kind of guy to carry spare mags.

Granted, scary encounters / events could definitely change that.
But, I've made the decision that being armed (period. 100% in all allowed locations / situations) is about the best I'm going to personally pull off.

· Registered
5,323 Posts
Surviving a meat grinder through hope and a prayer just isn't something I'd ever rely on. Training, more training, lots of practice using those trained skills till the gun in hand is just an extension of the hand, not something you're just holding.

Or one could rely on luck almost exclusively if one chose to as well. Not in my world of course, but everyone has to live in their own world.

I've made the decision that being armed (period. 100% in all allowed locations / situations) is about the best I'm going to personally pull off.

So what you seem to be suggesting is, you're not a "gun guy", just someone who carries a gun with a false sense of security. I'm not surprised, many here are of the same flavor.
I think it's fair to say that I'm not RAMBO, and have no misgivings about it.

· Registered
5,323 Posts
Come on Bro; I was 72 last week, and carry multiple spare mags every day. I hope I don’t need that many, but if I do; I’ll be damn glad I have them. Plus, the quickest way to remedy a malfunction with a bottom feeder is with a mag change.
Now, like you; my carry and range guns never malfunction. BUT, if they ever do (at the worst possible time in my entire life); I’ll be prepared…
That's a fair point.
IF (repeat "if") I were inclined to carry a spare mag (or two), I would probably just carry an entire separate handgun (as a backup gun).

Maybe the real truth is, given my job, I already have a veritable crap-load of things to carry around.
Really not all that interested in spare magazines (but did give due consideration to higher capacity double-stacks in 9mm - vs. .45 which would hold about half that.)
The flip side is I also don't carry a 1 or 2 shot derringer, either -- for the same reason.
Think: Middle of the road -- and that's fine by me, and I would not question or fault anyone who felt they needed more than the middle ground.

And is it really fair to say I'm not a "gun guy"?
IDK. Maybe??? (At least for handguns.) I'm definitely more into long-distance shooting as a hobby, and pretty much view EDC handguns simply for self-defense.
I'll go with friends to the range to shoot handguns, but let's face it -- Glocks can get pretty boring, pretty quickly. :)

· Registered
5,323 Posts
I could have replied more succinctly: I am not a pack mule.

There is only so much gear I am willing to carry on an EDC basis.
I've decided not to carry spare mags.

I'm also not kidding myself: When EDC becomes a hassle, I simply won't do it. (or will stop doing it).

I don't judge those who want to carry spare mags. It's just not for me.
Read into that whatever you want.

(I also don't carry spare body armor, or spare holsters, spare firing pins, or spare flashlights.)
OK, I do have about ten flashlights in the Jeep, but that's due to the flashlight fetish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts