Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
I can reload and fire again in under 1.5 seconds with all my semi's. Here's a picture of my mag dropping to the ground with my hand already on the second mag coming up to recharge the pistol.

I think it was Caleb who caught me on autopilot ☺

I haven't really practiced speed reloads in many years, yet the proprioception is there from decades of training on recharging the pistols.

Ever been times on reloads?

View attachment 79144 View attachment 79145
That was you and shooter4 demonstrating the "Wall of Bullets"drill, if memory serves! (y)(y)

If recently practiced with either 1911 or P229 EDCs, reloads take under 2 seconds, but at EBL's recent TFP course I was an RO for while using my new P365X-M for gaining experience with that weapon system, my performance in the "3-target, shoot 2, mag change, shoot 4" drill showed me that mag changes took way too long and I need A LOT more practice to be better prepared to put that one in my EDC lineup! 🤠

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
Come on Bro; I was 72 last week, and carry multiple spare mags every day. I hope I don’t need that many, but if I do; I’ll be damn glad I have them. Plus, the quickest way to remedy a malfunction with a bottom feeder is with a mag change.
Now, like you; my carry and range guns never malfunction. BUT, if they ever do (at the worst possible time in my entire life); I’ll be prepared…
Like you, I'm never without two spare mags on my EDC rig regardless of single or double stack. 🤠

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
Reactions: Rick McC.

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
In the words of the famous Mr. Han, "your focus needs more focus". 😯

I suspect far more people think they can reload faster than that, than actually can. As I mentioned, I got my reloading practice in matches, to the tune of something around 10K reloading mag changes. Never did practice reloading my semi's on my own, but I'm convinced those 10K or so mag changes under the timer brought me to the level of speed on a mag change I enjoy today.

Get to 2 seconds or below if you can from underneath the cover garment. Or not, most people think mag change practice isn't important. It’s an easy skill to learn at a basic level, and a vitally important skill to have if you actually need it
As a matter of fact, I was timing (sort of) mag changes in my EDC 1911 from underneath cover garment earlier today as a result of this thread reminder. Don't have a timer or Mantis but using mags loaded with dummy rounds, several mag changes from simulated slide lock were right at 2 sec to trigger squeeze. My plan is to make this part of a weekly practice routine and will add a timer when able for recording my progress and building more confidence in that skill. :unsure:

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
That's a respectable time for anyone who's not been or has been a gamer with thousands of reloads behind them.
I'll be more satisfied when I can demonstrate that skill consistently under stress when not in my living room (e.g., using TFP with live ammo on target)! 🤠

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
I have a timer BH, but there’re free timer apps available for your smart phone.
Andy posted one a few years back, and I’ve had it ever since. (I think; I never use it anymore.)
Yeah, I just didn't try to use a phone app during dry-fire practice. Wasn't even sure those apps would work with just the sound of hammer drop. :unsure:

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
I’ve never timed it, but under two seconds, certainly.
You may remember how fast Paula executes her mag changes; both Rick W. and Andy noticed it during Rick’s last class. Well; guess who taught her?
My M&P9s have always auto-forwarded the slides with a forceful reload, and my Canik Rival does too.
I sure hope that the new Canik does; as that really helps with the reload time.
The only EDC I have that auto-forwards (which I consider an "enhancing feature") is the P365X-M and yes, it helps with reload times a lot. 🤠

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
Yesterday I tried timing [dryfire] reloads with a shot-timer app on my phone and could not get either of two different apps to correctly time the reloads to first shot. However, I need to figure out how to adjust the sound thresholds because there was too much noise to get anything usable. I'll continue to experiment. . .

Reactions: brownie
1 - 9 of 9 Posts