Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I reload 38 ,44mag, 45acp, 45long colt, 223,308, 30-06, 6.5 Creedmoore, 35 rem, 762X39, 7.9 Mouser if I can help just ask good luck .

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
What is your question/problem?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
My advice is lower pressure/velocity loads may be more fun.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
If anyone does I need some advice.
Hi Old Geezer .. just deleted my input , as you have now stated it's an actuation problem with the slide . This only happens with your loadings then ? ..

If the factory loads are just fine , you have narrowed down your problem . Have you ever had this problem before with that powder ? .. one last question , did you happen to use any factory rounds 'after' your slide problem occurred ? ...

p.s. - my bad on my original post , as i did not know what your problem was . No harm , no foul , thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is your question/problem?
Reloading halfway between min and max. After first shot it ejects but receiver won't close with second round all the way. Also receiver won't lock back on final round. Does not happen with factory loads. Using 4227 powder. Wondering if I should load max to get action working

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I would load 1/10 of a grain under the max or equal to factory load's for 200 rounds to give it time to break in ,then go back to your middle of the road load . I use IMR4227 on my 44mag loads ect, so that powder is good to go. If that does not do it then check the ejector ajustment. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Sounds like your charge is too low to overcome the spring inertia in whatever recoil system the rifle uses

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I would load 1/10 of a grain under the max or equal to factory load's for 200 rounds to give it time to break in ,then go back to your middle of the road load . I use IMR4227 on my 44mag loads ect, so that powder is good to go. If that does not do it then check the ejector ajustment. Hope this helps, good luck.
HI Earl 007 - Great input ! It was hard for me to give input , as the original post was kind of vague . I see that he has now given direct information re his slide problems . I went online about 10 minutes ago & looked this problem area up.

Most say the 4427 powder is good to go as you stated . However , with heavier 350 gr bullets ? , it has been problematic for some shooters . They also suggest what you have , a powder change to a near max load to start with .. Another stated that this powder was dirty in his 50AE , clumped and didn't burn completely. .

Without being there , Very hard to judge accurately what to pinpoint the actual problem is . What throws me is : Factory ammo is just fine ! To me that eliminates the ejector theory completely . If it were mine , i would more than likely go down a bit in bullet weight also & do a powder change . IMHO Semi Autos are far more problematic with slide actuautuons and feeding problems . Wheel guns , Not ever for me .

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I don't know if it's a new gun, what weight bullet he is using, how many rounds have been fired so with the limited information I have to go with I made a guess. Now changing to a CFE powder might be the way to go ,thank's Gunner for looking it up a lighter bullet weight would result in less recoil and possibly help solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I don't know if it's a new gun, what weight bullet he is using, how many rounds have been fired so with the limited information I have to go with I made a guess. Now changing to a CFE powder might be the way to go ,thank's Gunner for looking it up a lighter bullet weight would result in less recoil and possibly help solve the problem.
Thanks Mr. Earl 007 .. You are correct with all the possible things it could very well be . I had to look this problem that he had online . They all stated the desert eagle .50AE does have it's problems . This was mostly feeding and ejecting using heavier 350 grain bullets.

*My new Weatherby scoped bolt action .223 did not like the first powder i loaded with . It was so dirty , the bolt was hard to move back and forth . This was after maybe 10 rounds loaded one at a time .. I then changed to another & now fine . As you have stated : would've , could've , or should've . A guessing game at best until the correct combination can be attained .

Our range is a sandpit basically here . There was a fairly good cross wind that day . I thought maybe grit was the problem , but the powder change solved it .
The next time out , same bullets but different powder . At 100 yds I had a grouping in the bull around 3 o'clock . Seven rounds within a 1 1/2" group .

For my larger rifle loads , i have at least [ 4 ] rifle powders to choose from . These range in heat from the lower to the higher end , and so does powder grain weight charge . As you , i change when it's necessary .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I tried to look up your powder choices and for some reason it was not in any of my books. I'm cheap the money I save, is to used buy more guns, try that 1/10 under the max load if it works like I think it will problem solved then keep a lookout for CFE pistol. About three years ago I started changing over to CFE and Enduron powders to stop copper fouling and to make cleaning easier. The big test for me is my new Howa M1500 in 6.5CM I'm starting out with break in and all use with Enduron 4451 to see if copper fouling is over , how clean it burns and how well it groups at long range. good luck

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I tried to look up your powder choices and for some reason it was not in any of my books. I'm cheap the money I save is used, buy more guns, try that 1/10 under the max load if it works like I think it will problem solved then keep a lookout for CFE pistol. About three years ago I started changing over to CFE and Enduron powders to stop copper fouling and to make cleaning easier. The big test for me is my new Howa M1500 in 6.5CM I'm starting out with break in and all use with Enduron 4451 to see if copper fouling is over , how clean it burns and how well it groups at long range. good luck
Excellent post and Great Information from a Very Knowledgeable Source [ you ] . I learn everyday here .

P.S. .. I also have a Howa in 7mm mag' . My left ear is still ringing from my ear plug shaken loose [ lol ] ;)
I hope that Old Geezer gets his .50 AE functioning properly and very soon (y)

I know that i ask for trouble with possible problem solving . I like helping others & learn as much as the receiver of knowledge does . That's what we do here !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts