Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
More and more sources are producing Reflex sight equipped pistols. Lasers are available in a myriad of options. I did a search and the newest discussion was a year old I decided to open another.

Is a sighting system a good idea?

One opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP8Yhj12yKo

I am considering mounting a light or a laser on my home defense pistol, Walther Creed, but I hesitate, having been trained in the two hand method of light and pistol presentation.

Comments?

Geoff
Who is concerned by recent raids on homes and condos in St. Johns County, FL. :popcorn

·
Super Moderator
28,381 Posts
Not a fan of lasers or weapon mounted lights on SD pistols. Haven't used a pistol mounted reflex sight so I can't comment. However, I don't use sights much for SD type shooting (relatively short range).

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
My cats approve! :thumsup

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
I do have a light mounted on one of my home defense pistols but it is there for back-up only if my primary light goes down ,"always have redundancy " they say. I shoot primarily threat focused defensive shooting, that's how I have trained and that's how I will respond, it's just flat out quicker to respond and fire if need be. My long gun do have dot sights for both eyes open and referenced sighting. The only time I use a laser is to verify sight reference when drilling dry unholstering against a target on my door inside house.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
I was just involved in a contentious debate about lasers on Glocktalk.

I think the Yankee Marshall's best point (video linked above) was about tracking a moving target. I agree the reflex sight offers big advantages over the laser in that situation, which is quite likely in a real world scenario.

That all said... for a carry gun... I would choose neither. The only mod on my carry gun is some XS Big Dot sights.

I do have a Trijicon RMR on my home defense gun. Why did I get it? Because I could at the time, and I just wanted one. Plus, my FNP-45T's slide was already milled for it. It was BEGGING for an RMR! :grin
Though, I don't think I can articulate a compelling case that it offers significant advantages over open sights.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I have a reflex sight on one of my AR's, and shot a running deer with it several years ago. I think they're much better for moving targets than a laser.

That said, no way I'd have either cluttering up a defensive pistol.

·
Registered
54,734 Posts
I have a Delta Point II on my 22 pistol. It's made to be used on a defensive pistol with various mounts. It's a small screen and the dot isn't the easiest to find quickly. I would not consider it on a defensive pistol, but would be an excellent addition to a hunting pistol.

Laser, great training tool, it may help the user or not depending on the users skills level/s at the time.

Light on gun for HD, I could live that, but prefer a handheld having been trained in various handheld techniques at hs/ld schools.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just involved in a contentious debate about lasers on Glocktalk.

I think the Yankee Marshall's best point (video linked above) was about tracking a moving target. I agree the reflex sight offers big advantages over the laser in that situation, which is quite likely in a real world scenario.

That all said... for a carry gun... I would choose neither. The only mod on my carry gun is some XS Big Dot sights.

I do have a Trijicon RMR on my home defense gun. Why did I get it? Because I could at the time, and I just wanted one. Though, I don't think I can articulate a compelling case that it offers significant advantages over open sights.
That thread calmed down quickly didn't it? :grin

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Folks,
More and more sources are producing Reflex sight equipped pistols. Lasers are available in a myriad of options. I did a search and the newest discussion was a year old I decided to open another.

Is a sighting system a good idea?

One opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP8Yhj12yKo

I am considering mounting a light or a laser on my home defense pistol, Walther Creed, but I hesitate, having been trained in the two hand method of light and pistol presentation.

Comments?

Geoff
Who is concerned by recent raids on homes and condos in St. Johns County, FL. :popcorn
I keep a light mounted on the rail of my FNS 9-C at night. I think it is a good addition to the pistol due to the added weight forward which seems to dampen out oscillations. I'm not sure whether I'd turn it on in a confrontation as it puts out enough light to clearly illuminate me as well as the bg. But, I've got it in case I need it.
I bought my wife's Ruger LCR with a laser grip. After messing around with it a bit, I don't believe I'd ever use it. I'm now a Brownie convert and view the sights as a distraction and impediment to quick deployment at close range. At longer ranges, I'd be inclined to just use the sights as the laser spot tends to jump around too much. But, I've got to say that for the distances inside my home, there's really no need for sights, laser or conventional. Threat focused sighting works quicker and is plenty accurate.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
I'm now a Brownie convert and view the sights as a distraction and impediment to quick deployment at close range. At longer ranges, I'd be inclined to just use the sights as the laser spot tends to jump around too much. But, I've got to say that for the distances inside my home, there's really no need for sights, laser or conventional. Threat focused sighting works quicker and is plenty accurate.
Once you learn and EXPERIENCE the Threat-Focused approach, it is quite the revelation. I love gizmos as much as the next guy (and laser gizmos really shine - pun intended - for dry fire training). But, when it comes to real-world SHTF defense??? Threat-Focused shooting with a clean / plain gun that works well in your hands.... nothing better. Nothing.

·
Super Moderator
28,381 Posts
Once you learn and EXPERIENCE the Threat-Focused approach, it is quite the revelation. I love gizmos as much as the next guy (and laser gizmos really shine - pun intended - for dry fire training). But, when it comes to real-world SHTF defense??? Threat-Focused shooting with a clean / plain gun that works well in your hands.... nothing better. Nothing.
Absolutely agree! We both have seen that revelation, as have many others here, and until one has experienced the Threat-Focused approach, it all sounds like snake oil. I'll never be able to thank Brownie enough for providing that enlightenment and saving me from succumbing to the relatively modern front sight press mindset as the only way to prosecute a threat, abandoning the knowledge of the old masters like Fairbairn, Sikes, Applegate, etc. in the process as "outdated." :thumsup

·
Super Moderator
28,381 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I'd say it's more an epiphany than a revelation. :grin

Anyway; it is a life changing experience!

"An epiphany (from the ancient Greek ἐπιφάνεια, epiphaneia, "manifestation, striking appearance") is an experience of sudden and striking realization. Generally the term is used to describe scientific breakthrough, religious or philosophical discoveries, but it can apply in any situation in which an enlightening realization allows a problem or situation to be understood from a new and deeper perspective. Epiphanies are studied by psychologists[1][2] and other scholars, particularly those attempting to study the process of innovation."

That pretty much sums up a weekend with Brownie and the gang to me...:grin

·
Super Moderator
28,381 Posts

Yup, that better describes it for me! :thumsup

·
Registered
54,734 Posts
:thumsup It's reading peoples impression of the value of the skills they've acquired that's the second most rewarding. The finest reward is watching the epiphany in real time

So many students have made a simple shot they previously thought was impossible, turned to me to make sure I saw it, and then heard me say, I didn't see that, do it again, and they do, over and over. :grin

·
Registered
12,019 Posts

"An epiphany (from the ancient Greek ἐπιφάνεια, epiphaneia, "manifestation, striking appearance") is an experience of sudden and striking realization. Generally the term is used to describe scientific breakthrough, religious or philosophical discoveries, but it can apply in any situation in which an enlightening realization allows a problem or situation to be understood from a new and deeper perspective. Epiphanies are studied by psychologists[1][2] and other scholars, particularly those attempting to study the process of innovation."

That pretty much sums up a weekend with Brownie and the gang to me...:grin
The epiphany is felt after the revelation! :argue :)

rev·e·la·tion
ˌrevəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: revelation; plural noun: revelations

a surprising and previously unknown fact, especially one that is made known in a dramatic way.

:crackit

·
Super Moderator
28,381 Posts
The epiphany is felt after the revelation! :argue :)

rev·e·la·tion
ˌrevəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: revelation; plural noun: revelations

a surprising and previously unknown fact, especially one that is made known in a dramatic way.

:crackit
Perhps! :grin

Epiphany:

1 capitalized : January 6 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles or in the Eastern Church in commemoration of the baptism of Christ
2: an appearance or manifestation especially of a divine being
3 a (1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3) : an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure b : a revealing scene or moment

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
ped·ant
ˈpednt/
noun
noun: pedant; plural noun: pedants

a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.
synonyms: dogmatist, purist, literalist, formalist, doctrinaire, perfectionist;

:grin

Takes one to know one! ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts