Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Santa Fe College student shares her thoughts on personal safety in light of recent events down in Gainesville. A kidnapping and armed robbery near campuses within a week of each other are causing people to rethink their safety.

Students' concerns are valid and we need to educate both the university community and the general public about the validity of campus carry as a solution. We need to dispel myths and rumors about concealed carry, and do so in a way that changes the image from "gun nuts" to "responsibly armed citizens." Changing this perception is a major step in not only getting the laws changed, but normalizing carry in the view of the public.

Check out the post here

To learn more about how you can help, drop by the Facebook page for Florida Students for Concealed Carry and look up your local campus page to get involved. If there is no group at your nearby campuses, try and get students who are willing to start one and contact me. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It's a very good post. Too bad it's on a Campus Carry forum, where she's preaching to the choir (not counting the one response posted by the idiot).

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
I know no one at UF or Santa Fe was there at the time, but you'd think the collective consciousness would have learned SOMETHING from Bundy and Rolling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's actually on the website for the UF chapter of Students for Concealed Carry. We maintain a blog addressing carry and self-defense issues as well as recaps of events. If anyone is interested in writing a guest post, feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I know no one at UF or Santa Fe was there at the time, but you'd think the collective consciousness would have learned SOMETHING from Bundy and Rolling.
Couldn't agree more, RCR ... just seeing those names gives me chills when I think of all the horror they inflicted on so many people ... and the deaths were neither quick nor painless... it's so hard to imagine that the best these morons can offer is after-the-fact counseling and they somehow still don't get it.... feel myself getting angrier as I type ... gotta stop

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
It's a very good post. Too bad it's on a Campus Carry forum, where she's preaching to the choir (not counting the one response posted by the idiot).
Don't worry, his idiocy did not go unanswered. :grin

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I work at UF...sadly, the majority of students walk staring at their phones like it's an Oracle (until they run into a post or something), hang out with the Hari Krishna moonbats (good place for an airstrike, but I digress) or just make their way to class..never thinking of their own safety. They depend on UPD for their safety, kind of like the majority of folks in the real world do. And while the vast majority of folks in society aren't victims of violent crimes, the ones that are get a quick slap of reality, if not worse. I'm glad to see al least a few starting to see the light about life in the big world. Perhaps this will catch on..we shall see.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Driving past the memorial on 34th St every day was one of the things that motivated me to start the chapter at UF.
Thanks for doing that, Zach. I hope the group is making some sort of impression...it's a hard row to hoe, I'm sure.

I was a little too close to both Bundy and Rolling for reasons I won't go into here on an open forum. Lost a couple of family friends at UF a year after Rolling (he hadn't been caught, yet).

Two massive tragedies at our major universities less than 15 years apart, and no one learned a damn thing. Sad. Very sad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Gainesville police department is a ****ing joke and I'm not one of those anti cop people. There have been 6 home invasion robberies where 4 black people broke into occupied houses with guns, tied up the owners and stole their cars, all in the same 1 mile radius. At first they were only beating them and stealing cars, the last 2 they killed them. The cops didn't even make an attempt to notify residents of the area until the press picked it up, and even then they did a really poor job of it (that was after #4)

They still are not sure they have all 4.

The UPD could be out there looking for criminals instead of being Dbags and writing traffic tickets too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I work at UF...sadly, the majority of students walk staring at their phones like it's an Oracle (until they run into a post or something), hang out with the Hari Krishna moonbats (good place for an airstrike, but I digress) or just make their way to class..never thinking of their own safety. They depend on UPD for their safety, kind of like the majority of folks in the real world do. And while the vast majority of folks in society aren't victims of violent crimes, the ones that are get a quick slap of reality, if not worse. I'm glad to see al least a few starting to see the light about life in the big world. Perhaps this will catch on..we shall see.
I work at USF and see the same thing...As I am walking around I note how many people I could walk right up on without being noticed until it was too late - too busy with their phone (haven't seen any Hare Krishnas here). People living oblivious to the world around them, unprepared, thinking that they are in a safe little enclave.

I fear campus carry is a long way off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been a UF student for 3 weeks now and finally just said screw it and walked over to the gun shop (1 block how awesome is that?) And bought a subcompact 9. Sorry dad...

I guess I should say why. Its super shady around where I live. Go just off campus and its worrisome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts