Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a long time, it seems there were two kinds of sight pushers:
1. Really cheap pieces of crap - I'm just going to be frustrated and out a bit of money.
2. Really expensive tools for pros - Hard to justify $300+ for a tool I'll use on occasion.

So, in the past, I've simply used a mallet and sight drift tool. Rather unsophisticated, but it works.

Now that I've gotten into "building" guns, I started looking again. Mostly, because I've got a new set of sights coming for my P80 to cowitness with the optic I just installed. Again... it's mostly cheap crap or high-end. I need a "Goldilocks Zone" sight pusher! Somewhere in the middle, between $40 and $300+.

I think I found it! $130 for the Real Avid MASTER SIGHT PUSHER ™. It retails for $150 on the Real Avid site, but I got it on Amazon for $130, shipped in one day!

Product Automotive tire Toy Automotive design Automotive exterior

This thing is a beast, weighing in at 6 pounds! The reviews are good overall.

I'll update the thread once I have it in my hot little hands.

Product Font Tool Automotive tire Machine

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Nice. I bought one years ago for my Glocks. I don’t recall what I paid for it but it is a well built quality machined tool that works very well. I’ve used it several time now and my brother has too. We’ll worth it if you wanna buy multiples of one brand. It fits specifically for Glock slides.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. I bought one years ago for my Glocks. I don’t recall what I paid for it but it is a well built quality machined tool that works very well. I’ve used it several time now and my brother has too. We’ll worth it if you wanna buy multiples of one brand. It fits specifically for Glock slides.
Which one did you get? This one is apparently brand new on the market (well.... 2020).

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I have had this one for years and it has performed admirably on half a dozen different makes of handguns. I had a crappy one before that required a crescent wrench to operate in it now lives in a dead tool drawer.

You can screw this one down to the workbench or just hold it in the vice. Yours does look cooler.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
The Real Avid one works pretty well.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Real Avid one works pretty well.
Got one or tried it? Comparable to others? A good value?

In any case, I've got one coming. So, hopefully it does what it's supposed to do efficiently, effectively, and safely (to my slide and sights).

·
Registered
17,014 Posts
I have one I got years ago. Works well and is universal with blocks you interchange depending on the gun. Doesn’t look as nice as the one you got for sure. Somehow I can’t justify hammering in sights that have tritium vials in them? I know people who do. Especially on the 1911 forums there are a lot of old timers who insist a hammer and punch works but I just don’t see how that’s not detrimental to the sights and vials?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one I got years ago. Works well and is universal with blocks you interchange depending on the gun. Doesn’t look as nice as the one you got for sure. Somehow I can’t justify hammering in sights that have tritium vials in them? I know people who do. Especially on the 1911 forums there are a lot of old timers who insist a hammer and punch works but I just don’t see how that’s not detrimental to the sights and vials?
Yeah... I read your old thread but decided not to "necro-post." :)

Stand by for my review (after I've played with it).

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
140 Posts
Some of the reviews I read of the Real Avid sight pusher noted that it was difficult to keep the slide in place. I look forward to your review. I bought the rather expensive MGW Sight Pro about 3 years ago. It has special “shoes” to fit various slides, among other accessories. It works, but I don’t find it easy to operate. For some 1911s, it requires a considerable amount of torque to get press-fit rear sights out. I see that the Real Avid product has a feature that enables a ratchet to be used to turn the handle for additional torque, so that looks like a good feature.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
For a long time, it seems there were two kinds of sight pushers:
1. Really cheap pieces of crap - I'm just going to be frustrated and out a bit of money.
2. Really expensive tools for pros - Hard to justify $300+ for a tool I'll use on occasion.

So, in the past, I've simply used a mallet and sight drift tool. Rather unsophisticated, but it works.

Now that I've gotten into "building" guns, I started looking again. Mostly, because I've got a new set of sights coming for my P80 to cowitness with the optic I just installed. Again... it's mostly cheap crap or high-end. I need a "Goldilocks Zone" sight pusher! Somewhere in the middle, between $40 and $300+.

I think I found it! $130 for the Real Avid MASTER SIGHT PUSHER ™. It retails for $150 on the Real Avid site, but I got it on Amazon for $130, shipped in one day!

View attachment 72588

This thing is a beast, weighing in at 6 pounds! The reviews are good overall.

I'll update the thread once I have it in my hot little hands.

View attachment 72589
They don't get much better...if at all.. than this one!!!

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Got one or tried it? Comparable to others? A good value?

In any case, I've got one coming. So, hopefully it does what it's supposed to do efficiently, effectively, and safely (to my slide and sights).
Got one and have used it. It is a universal, so it will take a bit of fiddling to get the slides locked down.

·
Registered
21,222 Posts
what are these sights people speak of?...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got it! This thing could double as a kettle bell! It's a hunk of hardware! It appears to be very nicely made. But, I need to read the instructions and play with it a bit. In the mean time, here are some photos.

Here's a pic of it next to my G34 build to give you an idea of the size of this thing.

Light Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

Kettle bell??
Product Toy Gesture Gas Thumb

Front:
Toy Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive design Toy Gas Font Machine

Back:
Light Automotive design Toy Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Top:
Automotive design Automotive lighting Material property Gas Automotive exterior

So, this is definitely a bench tool. I suppose you COULD bring it to the range to do fine adjustments. But, you might need a sherpa to help you with all your gear.

Reactions: Marilyn

·
Registered
17,014 Posts
Wow that thing is a beast! Does it have interchangeable blocks for different guns or is it already supposed to be universal? If no blocks I wonder how it fits all slides and guns? You saw mine it has different blocks you change for 1911s, Rugers, Berettas and Sigs.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow that thing is a beast! Does it have interchangeable blocks for different guns or is it already supposed to be universal? If no blocks I wonder how it fits all slides and guns? You saw mine it has different blocks you change for 1911s, Rugers, Berettas and Sigs.
The part that engages the sights flips around for different shaped sights. It's advertised as "universal," to work with most slides. But, I'm sure there are some that won't fit.

Reactions: Marilyn

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Sights are for the unenlightened!
Mr. BH - Here we go again with the Infamous "Unenlightened " comment , regarding the Need for sights period . Well IMHO , I think that you should Also Include the other 90 % of 'Average Skill Shooters' that Do Use Sights :LOL:(y)

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Gunner, sights have their place for aimed shooting mostly at paper targets some distance away when you want to zero in on an x ring. However, I think what BH is getting at is in combat shooting of threats, sights don’t come into play at all. YMMV, just my two cents worth. (y)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some "action" shots with my G19 slide. These are just posed. I didn't move the sight, as I don't need to do that with this slide. When my new sights for the G34 build arrive, I'll give it a real go then.

The set up with your slide is fairly tedious. You've got to get it lined up JUST right or risk damaging the slide. It is very much a precision tool. And, you need good lighting to confirm everything is set up correctly. No way this tool is applicable for range use, IMO.

Product Material property Toy Machine Gas

Gas Engineering Machine Auto part Plastic

Motor vehicle Bumper Machine Automotive exterior Office equipment

Gas Engineering Machine Auto part Plastic

Light Toy Machine Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Gadget Electronic device

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Product Bumper Trunk Automotive exterior Auto part

1 - 20 of 40 Posts