Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been to many Gun Shops, and it seems with all the carry pistols on the market this would be an easy answer. Basically, what I'm looking for is the smallest Carry Pistol with a manual safety and be chambered for something more powerful than .380. I checked out Shoot Straight on Southern BLVD, They have alot of handguns. I've been to Florida Gun Exchange...etc. The S&W is my current favorite, of the 3 I've held. But there has to be a Carry pistol that packs more power than a .380 that has a manual Safety, I know you guys probably get alot of questions from people like me. I used to be a Moderator on a Car Forum, Anyway, I like the S&W probably the best right now, it's not a Subcompact, but they let me put it in my pocket and you could not see it sticking out.I'm not a fan of the Taurus Slim and I liked the LC9 but had a very long trigger pull, not a deal breaker (Most of what I wear has large pockets.) If anyone has a suggestion about the best Handgun in 9mm or .40, that is small, has a manual Safety and OCCASIONALLY pocket carry. I've looked around I've only actually held the S&W M&P 9c, the Taurus slim and the P290 which doesn't have a manual safety. I forgot I also checked out the ruger LC9. While looking I've seen the Springfield Armory XD9 Subcompact and the Beretta PX4 Subcompact. If any of you guys can help out I would REALLY appreciate it. I know the .380 is by far the most popular carry Subcompact, but what is the smallest handgun I can get with my stipulations.... Manual Safety, 9mm or more power, Semi Auto. Small, Right now I'm carrying a Glock 27, which is ok, but I don't feel comfortable carrying with a chambered round in the glock. I know that sounds stupid, If I could open carry I wouldn't care, but, we can't open carry in Florida :-( BTW, even if it's expensive please mention it, because if it's the right handgun I will pay the price for it.
Thanks so Much for your help.
John

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a big proponent in choosing a primary carry firearm that is proven and widely available. This generally means that they (or in the case of compacts, their full size counterparts) are in significant use by law enforcement, military, competition shooters and self defense gurus. It also suggests that they will typically have more holster choices, accessory choices and repair options if required. You mention pocket carry, please remember to include a pocket holster in your plan, something that covers the trigger. What is the basis for your requirement of a manual safety?

Having said all that, you can't go wrong with an M&P compact, go with that...

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I really like my M&P compact .40 which comes both with/without the manual safety. You can rent one at Arizona in Ft. Laud. If they were in stock when I bought I would have chosen no manual safety. I carry with safety off and a round chambered.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
All guns have a manual safety, its called keeping your booger hook off the bang switch.
But seriously, you have put yourself into a tough corner, you want a small gun but "big" on caliber. There has to be a compromise in there somewhere. Why not get two? One pocket size 9 like a keltec or a hammer-less 38/357 revolver and then another for the days you want something bigger.
Best advise is that choose the gun based on how it feels, operates, and how well it fits your hands. Then you can figure out how to conceal it 2nd.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Kahr makes their PM series with a manual safety but you don't need it. The Kahrs have a longish double action trigger but it is lighter, smoother and has a shorter reset than an other pocket gun I have held. Very small gun, get the extended mags for belt carry, use the flush mag for pocket carry. These guns are very accurate, dependable, soft shooting, beautiful and sadly, expensive.
Good luck, the hunt is lots of fun!
Franklin

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
M&P compact .40 with the safety
If you have to have a safety, I'd get this.

I carry a G22 & G27 And I have a pocket holster for my G27 I carry sometimes. Never have I felt it would go off. You need to pull the trigger. Not happening unintentionally.

·
Banned
4,618 Posts
If you have to have a safety, I'd get this.

I carry a G22 & G27 And I have a pocket holster for my G27 I carry sometimes. Never have I felt it would go off. You need to pull the trigger. Not happening unintentionally.
I wouldn't say that it can't happen unintentionally because it does happen. you need to be very aware of your finger positioning when handling the gun and be careful when reholstering. many ND happen during reholstering because something like the top of a kydex holster or a drawstring from a garment could get into the trigger guard and cause a ND.
when handling guns it is my view that nothing is impossible and to be extremely vigilant

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree with Franklin (post #5 above) re: the PM9 ... but if you really want the manual safety, here's the link:

Kahr-PM9-w-External-Safety

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
G36 and a S&W 38 for days when traveling lite with a good gun belt and at least two good holster's

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've been to many Gun Shops, and it seems with all the carry pistols on the market this would be an easy answer. Basically, what I'm looking for is the smallest Carry Pistol with a manual safety and be chambered for something more powerful than .380.

I guess 45 compact guns are out of the question?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This^

The Kimber Solo is a sweet little gun.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
+1 on the Kimber Solo... Great little gun

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
As I assume that the requirement for a manual safety is to prevent a negligent discharge while carrying, let me suggest nearly any DA/SA, DAO auto or revolver would fit the bill. An 11-14# trigger pull is a relatively good safety device and revolvers had no other manual safety device for a couple of hundred years.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My primary is a Smith & Wesson MP9c. It's outstanding. However, make sure YOUR choice is comfortable in YOUR hand. I was taught good shooting and confident carrying begin with a comfortable grip. Take your time, think about the safety & caliber choices that are right for your needs and you'll make the right decision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the M&P40c as my EDC but if I have to have one in the pocket I have a LC9. The LC9 is barely a pocket carry.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
If you like you’re Glock and it’s simply the "manual safety" thing. Send your gun off to Alex Hamilton at 10 Ring precision in San Antonio Texas and have him put a thumb safety on for you. Tell him Will Farrugia (the British guy) referred you.

http://www.tenring.com/glockwork.html

Give me a call when you’re ready to learn how to fight with what ever gun you end up with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I'm a big proponent in choosing a primary carry firearm that is proven and widely available. This generally means that they (or in the case of compacts, their full size counterparts) are in significant use by law enforcement, military, competition shooters and self defense gurus. It also suggests that they will typically have more holster choices, accessory choices and repair options if required. You mention pocket carry, please remember to include a pocket holster in your plan, something that covers the trigger. What is the basis for your requirement of a manual safety?

Having said all that, you can't go wrong with an M&P compact, go with that...
I really liked the feel of the M&P Compact, even it's size felt like it was on the smaller size of compact. I have large hands, not like ring size, I just have long palms and fingers, I can palm a basketball. The reason I want a Safety is I just feel more comfortable, I will say if the firearm had a backstrap that has to be depressed before firing I would be fine with that. I know that it's not going to fire without pulling the trigger, for me it makes me feel more comfortable knowing there's more to the safety system than just the trigger. Thanks so much for the post!
John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually I'm fine with having just a 9mm for carry. It doesn't need to be any more than that. I already have a H&K USP .45 and a Glock 22, those are my 2 full Size handguns. Like I mentioned before I also have a Glock 27. Speaking of which, I wonder how large a H&K USP Compact is size wise compared to the M&P. Thanks for the response, I get what your saying about the trigger, Since I don't carry my glock chambered, maybe it's just something in my head I need to get over.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts