Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this elsewhere. What would you do if you were the driver and had your family inside that car.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Greetings Yard! This video has made the rounds on various boards as it sure encapsulates the reasons why people feel the need to carry.

While "the subject" would best serve society by being put out of his misery, you will probably get a few viewpoints on how best to have approached this situation.

I can only speak for myself, but I would do everything I could to drive away. If he approached my door, my window or try to reach inside the car, he would be shot. If I had friends or family in the car, I would probably be more quick to cut him less slack.

My threshold would be when he crosses the line where his violent act crosses from vandalism and destruction of property to fear for my safety.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It would be much easier in this situation to drive over the sidewalk to get away and if the punk just happen to get run over in the process so be it. Gun does not come out unless you are in fear for your life.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Gun does not come out unless you are in fear for your life.
I understand your point but I have to disagree. I think we have to work to prevent the animals from taking what doesn't belong to them. Anything less will only teach them they can take what they want from anybody they want. In this case that includes peace of mind and a decent vehicle.

That poor person is going to walk around in fear for a long time and possibly suffer post traumatic stress just so that BG can make a video of what a tough guy he is?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I understand your point but I have to disagree. I think we have to work to prevent the animals from taking what doesn't belong to them. Anything less will only teach them they can take what they want from anybody they want. In this case that includes peace of mind and a decent vehicle.
Unfortunately these lawyers have me sometimes thinking legal before anything else. However if it comes down to it and I fear for my safety I'd rather be tried than died.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gun does not come out unless you are in fear for your life.
I don't know about you, but I would drop a brick in my pants if this happened to me. If escape wasn't possible via hopping a curb, he would have been shot after the second hit.

Crazed dude with a large blunt object and I am unable to get away? You damn well better believe I'd be fearing for my life.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
She had kids in the car she would have been in the right to well in his own words to shoot that Mo: censored : censored well you get the idea.:ak oh man i think seeing that happen in front of me would have set me off.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
"Officer, he was trying to literally break into my car...see the broken windows? I feared for my life and the life of my family, so I shot him."

Gotta love FL justifiable use of force laws.

-JT

·
Registered
7 Posts
He would have slept on a slab that night. Him starting would have had my weapon out, I would have interpreted him hitting the window as an attempt to break into the vehicle and double tapped him in the head then and there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not in the car

I would not have discharged my weapon in the car. If my wife, and god forbid my kids were in their with me, I would have gotten out when he was on the opposite side and drew him away from the car. As soon as he stepped toward me with the crow bar then I would have double tapped him. No way I am shooting through the window within inches of my wife and kids.

But I would never be caught dead driving a PC cruiser either :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw this elsewhere. What would you do if you were the driver and had your family inside that car.
But let me add something if I may (not to hijack the thread) but would anyone do anything if you were in an adjacent vehicle?

Would you have gotten out and confronted the Bad Guy? I believe in Florida you may have been justified and I think I would have. I don't think I could just sit in my car while that guy just went nuts on that womans car. Also same result, should he make an aggressive move towards me he is getting 2 in the chest.

·
Registered
88 Posts
He would have been taking a dirt nap.

My gun would have been in my hand from the first hit, and as he walked around to my window, he would have been greeted with some bang bang.

I feared for my life, and my family's + he was "trying to jack my car"...

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
Had I been the driver of that vehicle, I think I would have first attempted to evade the lunatic (always a good reason to keep on open car-length in front of you), but having failed that I think I would have exited the vehicle and engaged him once he broke a window...at that point he has gone from merely vandalizing the exterior of my vehicle to having forcibly accessed the interior with what any reasonable person could assume was malicious intent.

I also think I would have ordered the cameraman to the ground at gunpoint; It would be tactically prudent, IMO, to assume he is an accomplice and also possibly armed...not to mention securing the videotape as evidence, if possible.

Of course, it's easy to pontificate what I might do under similar circumstances, but I'll never really know until the SHTF I suppose.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I think I would try to get away from this loon but if trapped he probably would have been shot. I use the words "think and probably" because no matter how you think these things will go you never know for sure unless it is unfolding in front of you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
2-ton vehicle

At one point, he was directly behind the car. If I'd been the driver and had my head in the game, I'd have put it in reverse and slammed into him. I would also have attempted to drive around the vehicle in front of me.

If I am in the car alone, I'm with FLRon. He probably gets a little more slack. If my wife and kids are in the car, I'm less lenient.

Do I exit the car to confront him? Hell NO! I think I'm a decent shot and I train at the range a fair amount, BUT I have NO experience shooting a drugged up moving target swinging a large blunt object for my head. I stay in the car andtry to evade. Failing that, I try to run him over. I tell my family to lay down on the seat to avoid glass and getting hit by whatever he's swinging at the windows. I wouldn't want to try to shoot out from a car filled with my family members unless it was absolutely necessary. If he penetrates the car, with his body or any type of weapon, or tries to drag anyone from the car, then all bets are off and I'll do whatever I can to put lead on target.

Of course... if my wife is with me, and she's carrying, she's likely to pop the bastard before I get a chance to run him over. That'd be too bad for him. (She's a badass!)

- Str8Shooter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts