Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize you can only provide opinions, but these statues can be very confusing. I cannot carry (ccw) on school property, but can I have a firearm in my car while in the parking lot? Sounds like a no-no, but then I read something about "allowed in a vehicle."

If I have to pick up a kid or drop something off, I hate to have to disarm myself if I am nearby the school.

Also, the post office? I always leave the pistol in the car when I go to my PO Box, but cannot find a definitive answer on whether or not I really need to do that.

Help!

Johnny Z

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know the PO boxes are in a separate section of the PO building in my neighborhood, almost like an entrance, and with no workers present. I'm not sure if that's how your PO box area is set up, but if so, it's still part of the building. I sure wouldn't risk bringing in a gun. I believe that the increasingly popular mini POs that are set up in gift stores and the like, with po boxes on the wall, are considered to be "contract post offices," not federal offices, and under regulations are defined as private. You should be a-okay to carry in that kind of place.

Oh....and welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
A post office is a federal building unless it is a private PO in some off site place like mailboxes etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and the info. The Post Office issue presents a rather simple problem, and I want to do it right. If I cannot carry, I have remove the pistol from its holster and leave it in the car. I don't really want anyone to see me handling a weapon as many might panic. If carrying it inside the post office were allowed, I'd be stupid to remove and expose the gun each time I went in. It is almost a convenience thing.

Very happy to find this forum.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I have one of these boxes for my car as well. I work in a federal building. So, every morning I lock ny pistol away and every afternoon I unlock it and put it back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts