Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chapter 790 does not seem to be absolutely clear regarding my question. As a concealed license holder I am allowed to carry concealed on my person. Per 790 anybody over age 18 can carry in their vehicle if weapon is securely encased be it a center console, glove box , shoebox with cover i.e not readily available.

My question is specifically about my pistol being readily accessible via a magnetic mount near my right knee. If I am asked to exit vehicle the weapon is not conceaed but quite visible. In a seated position the weapon is concealed "on or abut my person" as it is not clearly visible. If I were to place a small towel over the weapon it would not be visible if I were to exit vehicle.

As a license holder I need not keep it in a container with lid and frankly I do not like to carry either OWB or IWB while seated.

Am I in violation of Fl. statute if I were to secure my weapon to a magnetic mount while driving either covered with towel or not covered? In other words is the weapon considered concealed if not visible while seated in vehicle.?

I just cannot decipher statute to determine legality of magnetic mount

·
Super Moderator
6,210 Posts
There was a discussion about these sorts of gun mounts a few years ago on here. There was a lot of back and forth with those who felt it was or wasn’t legal.

I’m not a lawyer, but as I recall the summary was if you have a license, the only real duty you have is to not let the gun be seen. Cover it with a towel or something of that sort.

If you don’t have a license, the mount may violate a number of laws.

More legal minded people will be by shortly to weigh in.

Here's the previous Thread on this: Magnetic Vehicle Mount

Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
My gut tells me it is a violation. It’s certainly not “securely encased” and not concealed on your person per the permit. It’s an iffy proposition at best and I believe you might be at the mercy of the determination of a police officer on the scene. A lot of that would depend on your attitude, his attitude etc.

I would not recommend the magnet in your car. If an officer is speaking with you and you move your knee and he sees a weapon, I can’t see that working out very well for you.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
790.001 (2) states on or about your person. So he would be ok there. But the rest of it is sketchy. it has to be in a manner concealed from sight of an ordinary person. Might be a problem.

2) “Concealed firearm” means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
Here is a link to the latest previous thread on this subject, but there are also several older threads, too:

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
My gut tells me it is a violation. It’s certainly not “securely encased” and not concealed on your person per the permit. It’s an iffy proposition at best and I believe you might be at the mercy of the determination of a police officer on the scene. A lot of that would depend on your attitude, his attitude etc.

I would not recommend the magnet in your car. If an officer is speaking with you and you move your knee and he sees a weapon, I can’t see that working out very well for you.
We now have a legal opinion from an actual lawyer and N/C so take it.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Another thing is you don't want to magnetize the bullets.
You don't want them sticking to the barrel.
😂
Op
Get off Facebook
Pass on the magnet
Police are quite nervous and jumpy these days.
any site of a gun might not end well for you

·
Registered
129 Posts
My data point: On long trips - like across state sometimes - I will carry in a seat holster; the current is by Alien Gear. Have been stopped and reported it when asked as "in a holster under my right knee." Was not required to unass the vehicle so don't know how that would have gone, but was told to leave it there and all would be well - and it was.

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts

·
Registered
55,202 Posts
I tested a magnet [ strong friggin magnet too ] holster years ago with a glock 17 left fully loaded for 6 months in a drawer based on a question about magnetizing the slide. Results showed NO magnetization of the slide.

Wrote a report on it here years ago, can't find it presently

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
I tested a magnet [ strong friggin magnet too ] holster years ago with a glock 17 left fully loaded for 6 months in a drawer based on a question about magnetizing the slide. Results showed NO magnetization of the slide.

Wrote a report on it here years ago, can't find it presently
Found this post, looking for the longer test report. 🤠

. . .and this one, still looking for the actual 6 mo test report. :unsure:

. . .a few posts on the subject in this thread.

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
55,202 Posts
Found this post, looking for the longer test report. 🤠

. . .and this one, still looking for the actual 6 mo test report. :unsure:
That what I was looking for, wow 4 years ago now. But I had that holster back when I had the shop 9-10 years ago now,

thanks BH

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
That what I was looking for, wow 4 years ago now. But I had that holster back when I had the shop 9-10 years ago now,

thanks BH
Glad to be of service! 🤠

Reactions: brownie
1 - 18 of 18 Posts