Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a model 1911 Colt Combat Commander that I bought back in 1974 and carried it as my off duty weapon when I was a LEO.

Right now, it is in great shape and still shoots sweet, but it is a piece of machinery, and all things have their live span. I am concerned about what happens if and when something does finally break on it and having the parts necessary to fix it right away.

I would appreciate it greatly if I could get some advice on what parts are most common to break so I can purchase them now and have them in my possession if and when the time comes.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Are you concerned about the future availability of parts? Because I don't think that the supply of 1911 parts is going to dry up anytime soon, even if Obama is able to implement elements of his gun control agenda.

Extractor
Ejector
Firing pin
Springs
Sights

These are the parts that I'm guessing are most prone to failure (mostly because they're small and more fragile), but it's not an inclusive list by any means.

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
Extractor, firing pin and recoil springs, magazines, firing pin [ if it's not a 38 super pin which it probably is, it won't ever need to ever be replaced ]..

You should replace the springs together about every 5K rds

The extractor may need to be adjusted ocassioanlly but won't need to be replaced unless it chips out on the claw for about 25k

Brownie

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deadeye and Brownie, thanks for the info!!

My concern is a little combination of Obama in office and parts availability, and/or having something break on it, when I need it, and having the parts handy to make it operational ASAP to keep the "zombies" at bay. :drinks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just purchased

I just purchased a XSE series Colt Commander.

Question:

On your 1974 1911..........what have you had to replace at this time, if anything ?

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just purchased a XSE series Colt Commander.

Question:

On your 1974 1911..........what have you had to replace at this time, if anything ?

(( knocking on wood & crossing fingers ))

I have not had to repair or replace anything ... which is very good, but it then begins to make one wonder .... odds are something is gonna break sometime, but when?

So better to be safe than sorry, I wanted to find out what parts I would need, just in case.

The response has been great and I would like to thank you all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
XSE Series Commander

I just purchased a Colt XSE series LW model Commander.

It's a 2008 model.............2 problems already.

Anyone else having any trouble with this model.

The LW model has a teflon coating on the Alum: section, already rubbing off in some areas.

I can not get the set screw tight enough on the rear sight, after a few rounds it goes loose.

Hope this teflon coating is not a trial with Colt.

Thank you for any information.

I will be sending it back to Colt for these problems.

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
DRB68,

If it were me, I'd use blue loctite once the rear sight was set correctly for windage and be done with it.

On the finish, I'm not sure about the teflon coating, but it is presumed to wear like all finishes to some extent with holster use. There are some finishes like Dura coat and black Ti, etc that are more resistant to wear but in the end most finishes will wear.

Brownie

·
Registered
34 Posts
DRB68,

If it were me, I'd use blue loctite once the rear sight was set correctly for windage and be done with it.

On the finish, I'm not sure about the teflon coating, but it is presumed to wear like all finishes to some extent with holster use. There are some finishes like Dura coat and black Ti, etc that are more resistant to wear but in the end most finishes will wear.

Brownie
Thanks for the info: I have heard of loctie, (red)...what is the diff: between blue or red?......the wear of the teflon was within a few days of having the gun......I think it may be a Colt bummer, as my holster does not ride the area where it's coming off............Don

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
Red loctite will require heating to get it loose once hardened, while blue will loosen with some force without heating.

I don't like using red, but the glock doctor who puts my night sights on uses red. He says if he needs to remove them later, he'll use a hair dryer to warm it up.

I've used blue for years on grip screws etc and not had a problem with anything loosening further once used.

Brownie

·
Registered
204 Posts
(( knocking on wood & crossing fingers ))

I have not had to repair or replace anything ... which is very good, but it then begins to make one wonder .... odds are something is gonna break sometime, but when?

So better to be safe than sorry, I wanted to find out what parts I would need, just in case.

The response has been great and I would like to thank you all.
Springs are the most important in the 1911 Colt to replace. Recoil spring at about 2,500rds should be replaced. Mag springs when needed. Firing pin and spring at or about 5,000 to 10,000rds. Sear at about 20,000rds. There's all kinds of places to get these parts from. Brownells,Midway,Wilson,and Brown are just a few that have anything you would want.

Stay away from +p ammo and that pistol will last a life time for sure. Remember that the Commander and Officer models are required to be changed earlier.:drinks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts