Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
As Racer said must be a gun belt, I carry a 1911 a lot so if your going to carry a full sized gun then re-enforced is the way to go, light weight gun then not so much.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is a reinforced or heavy duty thick belt only needed for OWB carry? Or does it make a difference for IWB too?
I have tried and used lots of "gun belts" over the years. This one is easily the most effective one I've ever worn, and the only one I've worn for the past three or four years:

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
I’ll echo what’s already said. Get yourself a proper gun belt. One specifically made and reinforced to properly support a firearm. Only one of those will consistently snug your firearm to your body. Important to keeping your firearm secure and while printing isn’t unlawful in Florida, you’ll print less.

IMHO, one of those heavy duty work type belts would probably start out fine, but over time, as the leather stretches and wears, it‘ll sag. Guaranteed. I know, I started with one myself. Especially if you’re carrying anything of size. Which I did. You’ll find yourself constantly fussing with things and cinching up your belt trying to overcome the weakness of the maternal.

If I may suggest, check out Dave over at Ronin Leather Holsters . He does excellent leatherwork, knows his stuff and he’s a veteran to boot. Also a former Floridian. He can talk you through your needs and help you determine what works best for you and honestly, not a heap more expensive than you’d spend elsewhere anyway. If he can’t help you, he’ll let ya know and probably know who can. 👍

·
Super Moderator
30,664 Posts
Agree with all of answers above. For the last 2+ years I've been using Kore Essentials.com "Tactical" Gunbelts (hate the "Tactical" description, but that's their name fore their reinforced nylon webbing gunbelts). I have two, one black webbing and one in tan webbing and both of mine still look like new. They run $59.95 each but they currently have a bundle sale with one leather and one webbed belt for $112. I don't have any of their leather belts but another member (Caleb) does and says his is showing signs of wear. I use for both IWB and OWB and carry my EDCs (.45 ACP 1911 or 9mm P229) in either my PantherConcealment kydex or Ronin Leather Holsters LLC holsters.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Agree with all of answers above. For the last 2+ years I've been using Kore Essentials.com "Tactical" Gunbelts (hate the "Tactical" description, but that's their name fore their reinforced nylon webbing gunbelts). I have two, one black webbing and one in tan webbing and both of mine still look like new. They run $59.95 each but they currently have a bundle sale with one leather and one webbed belt for $112. I don't have any of their leather belts but another member (Caleb) does and says his is showing signs of wear. I use for both IWB and OWB and carry my EDCs (.45 ACP 1911 or 9mm P229) in either my PantherConcealment kydex or Ronin Leather Holsters LLC holsters.
I’ve been thinking of trying out a webbing belt. I’ve only tried a few leather jobs. I’ll check into them. 👍

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
I have 3 from A&G custom gunleather. One black, one brown, and one in brown horsehide

Reactions: Davidw and zukinut

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Reactions: joecarry

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
For those of you reading this thread who do not currently own a decent gun belt, you owe it to yourself to get one to properly carry your sidearm day in and day out, year after year.

Many have a steel inner core that really does help in support of the holster and once you get your first one, it's only a matter of time until you get one for "dress" occasions and another one for your shorts so you don't have to keep changing out belts with the weather.

Like a proper holster, you need a proper gun belt.

AD

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I have 3 from A&G custom gunleather. One black, one brown, and one in brown horsehide
I have two, one in light brown and one in black.

Also have a black dress from Kore and as BeerHunter said, after a year of constant edc wear the thin leather (fake leather?) is wearing off. But, the belt is still going strong.

I just recently purchased one from ……….. (I forgot) that Rick McC recommended. Never got a chance to try it as the little lady stole it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Well put AD. 👍

I don’t think it can be understated. IMHO, the belt is really an intregal part of a good holster. I made the mistake of thinking “Meh, a good holster is all I need.” I was incorrect. Once you wear a decent belt combined with a decent holster, you’ll never go back. They’re equally as important.

davidw, good thread. We haven’t discussed this in awhile. I have no doubt there’s more hanging around here with the same curiosity about belts. 👍

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use a Hank's belt called The Gunner. It is 1 1/2 wide and a full 1/4 in. thick. Bought it early 2012. It is as good of shape now as when I got it. Holds a Panther OWB nice and tight to my side. There are also many good suggestions above. Hope you can find something that works for you and are happy with it.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
My leather gun belts are from Crossbreed and The Belt Man. I've had them for at least 10 - 15 years, I think. Still going strong. I wear my Belt Man dress gun belt even when I'm pocket carrying a snubby.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
Gun belts are all I own

1 - 20 of 32 Posts