Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bars and restaurant info seems pretty straight forward and easy to find online but having trouble finding out if its legal to purchase alcohol to go in a liquor, grocery or gas station convenience stores...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The statute reads:
"Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose"
underlining mine
I take that to mean a bar or the part of a restaurant having a bar. But a liquor store is OK as they are not licensed to dispense..
I am not a lawyer.  

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The statute reads:
"Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose"
underlining mine
I take that to mean a bar or the part of a restaurant having a bar. But a liquor store is OK as they are not licensed to dispense..
I am not a lawyer.  
That is my interpretation as well.
I treat a liquor store as I would any other retail establishment, like a Publix.
Even a Publix or Costco separate liquor store is OK, so long as they are not dispending alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

Where it gets a bit interesting (to me) is a Total Wine store when they are actively doing taste testing.
Even there, I still carry, since I can not know from the parking lot whether a taste-testing is going on or not.
Of course, I would not participate in a taste testing while carrying.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
i take it to mean you cant belly up to the bar...alcohol is not dispensed at tables...it is dispensed at the bar...that is the portion of the establishment dedicated to that...

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
i take it to mean you cant belly up to the bar...alcohol is not dispensed at tables...it is dispensed at the bar...that is the portion of the establishment dedicated to that...
This is exactly how I read f.s. Chapter 790.06(12)(a)12, as well. However, I am not a lawyer! 🤠

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
Bars and restaurant info seems pretty straight forward and easy to find online but having trouble finding out if its legal to purchase alcohol to go in a liquor, grocery or gas station convenience stores...
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, stbob! 🍻

Since you joined FCC a few months ago but apparently without making a proper introduction, please take the time to actually educate yourself on how FCC really works (see last paragraph below) and then please post you're own proper Introduction Thread as described here. Your Introduction Thread lets forum members get to know you more, including where you're from and why you're here (without getting too personal) and you'll also get to know us more as members welcome you to the forum! You can make that introduction by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. An Introduction to FCC usually let's us know a little more about you, your firearms experience and ideas on self-defense and then lots of other FCC members will usually chime in to properly welcome you to the forum and after getting to know you a bit more will be more responsive in answering your questions, especially if you're attempting to sell something via FCC classified listings!

I'd like to point out that if you're a veteran, take a look at our Military Service Thread where you'll find many of us there, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding justified use of force and Florida firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Also, I highly recommend you read this thread to understand how to navigate FCC to get the most out of your experience. One particular item that's caught many veteran FCC members off guard is the "Recommended Reading" at the bottom of each page, which MAY contain quite old threads of inactive conversations lacking up-to-date information or context. So beware of the date of the last post (just to the right of the post number) in any thread you come across so you don't mistakenly think every post is recent and start responding to very old posts/threads that been dormant for quite some time, sometimes for many years.

Again, welcome to FCC and good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Its a gray area for me. Some restaurants have a bar area with tables separated by a half height divider or maybe a glass wall, from the rest of the eating area. Carabbas layout comes to mind. Sitting at a high top table just off the bar counts for me as a no carry zone.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
At the end of the day do whatever makes you sleep good at night cause your the one who will have to face the music….

YMMV

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Its a gray area for me. Some restaurants have a bar area with tables separated by a half height divider or maybe a glass wall, from the rest of the eating area. Carabbas layout comes to mind. Sitting at a high top table just off the bar counts for me as a no carry zone.
interesting...then it would almost seem easier to state "the portion of an establishment that is dedicated to serving alcohol for consumption on premises"...

interpreted as written...lawyer or not...the only portion of an establishment that is dedicated to dispensing alcohol for consumption on the premises" is the area behind the bar...it is not dispensed anywhere else...i dont see where a half wall, fence, step, high tables or a big screen television create anything different...every table in the restaurant is served alcohol...

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
interesting...then it would almost seem easier to state "the portion of an establishment that is dedicated to serving alcohol for consumption on premises"...

interpreted as written...lawyer or not...the only portion of an establishment that is dedicated to dispensing alcohol for consumption on the premises" is the area behind the bar...it is not dispensed anywhere else...i dont see where a half wall, fence, step, high tables or a big screen television create anything different...every table in the restaurant is served alcohol...
There have been several threads here coming to the same conclusion as bladenbullet, although I cannot remember if a lawyer, which I am not, weighed in on that "conclusion." Regardless, I agree with his "layman" reading of the statute Chapter 790.06(12)(a)12 until someone presents case law that says otherwise. I know that's not the very conservative legal "opinion" Jon Gutmacher gives in his book, but it's basic English language and reading comprehension! :unsure:

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
That’s how I did it in Florida. I just avoided the actual bar itself. Otherwise I would sit just about anywhere else. In truth though, take somewhere like Chili’s, that “bar area”, a kind of separate walled-off tabled area, is usually noisy and crowded. So, I almost never sat in there anyway.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
That’s how I did it in Florida. I just avoided the actual bar itself. Otherwise I would sit just about anywhere else. In truth though, take somewhere like Chili’s, that “bar area”, a kind of separate walled-off tabled area, is usually noisy and crowded. So, I almost never sat in there anyway.
It's a stupid law.
I can sit ONE CHAIR away from the bar (in some restaurants) and be perfectly legal.

Seriously, what problem is that law supposed to fix?

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
It's a stupid law.
I can sit ONE CHAIR away from the bar (in some restaurants) and be perfectly legal.

Seriously, what problem is that law supposed to fix?
Nothing. I wasn’t around, or at least I wasn’t paying attention, when that law was written. I honestly don’t even know when it was written. But my guess is that it was the kind of political horse trading we’ve talked about a lot. It was a concession caving in to some form of opposition paving the way to enough votes to get it done.

But does it accomplish anything? it pacifies the sheep.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Nothing. I wasn’t around, or at least I wasn’t paying attention, when that law was written. I honestly don’t even know when it was written. But my guess is that it was the kind of political horse trading we’ve talked about a lot. It was a concession caving in to some form of opposition paving the way to enough votes to get it done.

But does it accomplish anything? it pacifies the sheep.
Unfortunately like many others , It seems Very Open To Interpretation ! I believe you are going to the Bar , just to Drink Only .. Now On the other hand , you could just get a table and get just as soused right there .. Again , Wide Open :unsure: 'G'

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Unfortunately like many others , It seems Very Open To Interpretation ! I believe you are going to the Bar , just to Drink Only .. Now On the other hand , you could just get a table and get just as soused right there .. Again , Wide Open :unsure: 'G'
There is no law against drinking while carrying...for the record, I don't drink, so don't go there....where I sit in an establishment has no bearing on consumption whatsoever....

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
There is no law against drinking while carrying...for the record, I don't drink, so don't go there....where I sit in an establishment has no bearing on consumption whatsoever....
Agreed , as 'No Law Against Drinking While Carrying' .
You Do Not Drink & Very Smart while Carrying Period !

IMO I Never would want My Senses Dulled at Anytime , regarding a Lethal weapon on my person. I May Die , Or Over react And Not Good . Speaking For Myself Only 'G'

1 - 20 of 27 Posts