Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: Last Friday after the CDC changed its mask recommendations for fully-vaccinated people, Publix announced that fully vaccinated customers no longer are required to wear masks.

Scenario: You are at the deli counter of your local Publix, with your normal EDC. You are happy to no longer have to wear the mask since Publix changed their policy. While you are waiting on your order, another masked person waiting at the counter looks at you and says, "You still have to wear your mask." First question: How do you respond to him at this point?

After your answer in the first question, he goes to tell on you with the deli staff, to which they tell him that Publix changed their policy. He then death stares at you and says, "Could you please back away from the counter while they are slicing my order." Second question: How do you handle this request.

At this point the Chad (male version of a Karen) is visibly agitated and has not quit staring at you and muttering under his breath.

Third question: What do you do from here. Do you decide it's not worth it and leave the store? Do you tell him to shove it and mind his own business? Do you resort to Publix management?

Final question: If you decide to stay and finish your weekly shopping trip, how do you handle the rest of your shopping and what do you do when you leave the store finally.

Moderator Note: This scenario is not intended as a platform to discuss the CDC recommendations or Publix policy or any other store's policy. Please stick to answering how you would handle the scenario.

Final Note. The above actually happened to me and my wife this past Saturday. After a few people comment, I'll talk about how I handled the situation.

·
Super Moderator
29,671 Posts
After hopefully Publix staff reminds them of the Company's policy change, I won't be doing anything special except keeping Chad in perspective for my own heightened state of awareness, as required as I go about my business. If Chad has a particular problem, it's for them to deal with in an appropriate and peaceful way. So if he escalates, then my next move is to request the Deli call management and see what happens from there. :unsure:

Reactions: GD2A

·
Registered
27 Posts
"If you're that uncomfortable with others not wearing a mask, perhaps you should stay home and have your Publix order delivered."

Then I start ignoring him. Or, if he won't stand for that, I ask the deli person to call a manager over. I ain't putting up with that crap.

·
Registered
15,269 Posts
Andy..I'll leave what I would say and do to your imagination 😁

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Thoughts
1. No I don't
2. give a little more space (one thing I'm liking about this whole ordeal is more personal space)
3. Hope that satisfies the aggravators issue, continue to stare at him maybe ask him to hurry up with what he's doing other customers would like to order today.
4. Not sure how 3 has turned out. How that goes plays a big part in the rest of the adventure. Hopefully carry on as normal.

Reality.
I'll slip my face sock on to go in the store.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
River and I are not often on the same page about things, but on this one....I am !00% sure we would have almost the exact same reply to those questions.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
River and I are not often on the same page about things, but on this one....I am !00% sure we would have almost the exact same reply to those questions.
I dunno. I kinda wish da Pig would have shared what he would've said. Always seem to learn a couple new adjectives from his posts. :cool:

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Wally World has also implemented the same changes. People who are fully vaccinated need not wear a mask. The big question I have is, "how do they determine who has and hasn't been vaccinated?" Do you have to wear your cert card or something? :unsure: Do they just go on the "honor" system?

I'm still probably going to wear a mask, even if I don't have to. the "Lyft" ride I'll most likely take to/from Wally World will still require it. And some of the other places I may go will still require it (after all, The CVS pharmacy I went to to get my 1st dose of the vaccine required me to wear a mask all while I was there).

It's not a big deal to me. I don't mind wearing one. In Andy's scenario, I'd probably be still wearing mine so I'd not have been confronted.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Excellent question. I’ve mentally prepared for that one. My plan is to say “I am fully vaccinated and I dare say very relieved that the CDC says I don’t have to wear a mask as does Publix” I am assuming you are not fully vaccinated and I congratulate you on wearing a mask.

I am a conflict avoidance kind of guy and given the circumstance, I plan to keep one of those cheap masks in my pocket and if it makes a goofball happy I will slip a mask on to avoid a big argument. It’s kind of the reverse of the plan I had for those dummies who were saying “I ain’t puttin no diaper on my face for nobody”, just walk away from them. It’s a small price to pay for a few minutes to avoid a conflict with some person you know nothing about.

There’s no litmus test these days to determine whether the person you’re talking to is a nutcase. As my late mother aptly observed, There are more horses asses in the world than horses.

The alternative might be to quickly lead to violence and you might find out you’re not as tough a guy as you think.

·
Registered
15,269 Posts
I never once wore a mask into a store since this crap started. Was asked to, once, at a Lowes I believe. My reply was a version of " consume fecal matter while vocalizing loudly at the glowing sphere in the evening skies". To paraphrase

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Well said, Go F-yourself would have been my reply. On a personal note I have not worn a mask if they say anything workers that is, I just say I forgot I have one in my pocket I'll put it on the whole time I'm walking away.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Scenario 1. Reply that I do not, and suggest he mind his own business.

Scenario 2. If I was an appropriate distance away, I would tell him no, and after inviting him to engage in aerial intercourse with a rotating piece of perforated pastry, I would pretty much ignore him.

After that, I might cough in his general direction, while making references to my recent trip to Beijing, and how I have not been able to shake that cough, just to give him fits.

I would continue to shop.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
First; I plan on wearing a mask in Publix for the time being even though i am vaccinated.
I still don't want to catch Covid19 even though it would probably be an an asymptomatic case.
IF I were not wearing a mask,I would simply remind him of the new rules and that's it.
Ignoring people who "annoy" you is often the best method.

Reactions: Old Farmer

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
After inviting him to engage in ariel intercourse with a rotating piece of perforated pastry, I would pretty much ignore him.

If he is that tightly wound, I might cough in his general direction, just to give him fits.
I don't get your metaphor.
Ariel intercourse???

rotating piece of perforated pastry ?????

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I’ll start by saying, I still plan on wearing my mask in public for a while. I don’t mind, and I kinda like being armed and wearing a mask so,it’s all fine and dandy, that being said:

It depends. It depends on how he said it and his demeanor. Also depends on what kinda mood I’m in. My courteous response is going to include “hey, both CDC and Publix have updated guidelines on wearing masks you are not aware”. That’s gonna be 90 percent of time.

Now, part two, where he hears from deli and then death stares me (at least he said please), I’m going to be a bit more blunt “I’m waiting just like anyone else and already have my order in with them”, and then I dont budge. I may smile nicely at him and then just wait. Even though he’s muttering now I’m probably just going to stand there and wait politely. If he says anything else to me then I just flat out tell him he’s wrong and needs to get up to date on what is happening, and that even the Publix deli worker told him the rule change so it’s none of his business to try and tel me what I have to do.

This is pretty much going to end it for me. I’m going to finish my shop and exit and go about my life. He doesn’t matter.

While he was muttering, since you said he was a “Chad” you should have struck up a convo with him. “You seem like the kinda guy that likes the band Imagine Dragons. When he said “yes I DO like Imagine Dragons” that’s when you say “well imagine dragon both of DEEZ NUTZ across your forehead!!” At this point we may fight. Totally up to him.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I don't get your metaphor.
Ariel intercourse???

rotating piece of perforated pastry ?????
Ariel was a typo that was fixed in a later edit (damn you autocorrect)

"Aerial intercourse at a rotating piece of perforated pastry."

a.k.a. Take a flying f*ck at a rolling donut....

1 - 20 of 143 Posts