Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One subject I have not seen mentioned here (pardon me if I missed it) is keeping your weapon securely in your hand when drawn in a defensive scenario.

If you draw and shoot as one, flowing action it probably isn't a problem BUT you should be aware that a pistol pointed so as to touch your target or within reach of a hand can be taken from you by someone with very minimal training and practice if you aren't careful.

We used to practice with wooden pistols at the police academy to disarm a BG with a pistol who is foolish enough to put it in our reach.

A grabbed barrel, twisted toward the holder can cut/break a trigger finger and end up with the gunman shot or disarmed. This is because someone holding a gun on you has a given reaction time. He CANNOT fire before an untelegraphed grab that hits its mark can wrest the pistol away. Almost noone believed that but it was proven to us by competent instructors. We then spent quite a few sessions with disarming as a practice technique. Missing the gun with your grab OR telegraphing your move can, however , be fatal............the reason for the repetitive practice.

I don't bring this up to suggest anyone here (LEOs excluded) try to learn the technique to disarm someone who has a pistol on you. Only to make you aware that YOU could be the one having the weapon taken away and used against you. Another reason why drawing it when you are not sure of shooting it is a very bad idea. In any event, IF you do have to draw it in very close proximity to a potential target, make sure it is not within his reach or, at least, on the far side of your body from him as in turning 1/4 from facing and your pistol on the far side.

· Registered
2,083 Posts
One thing we train for weapon retention is that if the person going for your weapon has not yet gotten a hold of the weapon, turn that hip away from the opponent. Bear in mind we train to fight strong side forward, and our group tends to carry on the strong side (i.e., no small of back, crossdraw, etc. carrying).

If the opponent gets a hand on your weapon, then turn that hip into the opponent, as turning away at this point may actually help the person get the weapon out of the holster.

Techniques to deal with the attacker after this are varied. :)

-JT

· Super Moderator
11,164 Posts
Another aspect of this is the importance of mindset with respect to using the weapon. I'm very inexperienced myself, but I do understand that a big part of carrying a weapon is the possibility that it could be taken away from you.

When friends inquire about starting to carry, I recommend that they ask themselves if they would be prepared to use it should the necessity arise. If they hesitate, I recommend that they not consider carrying until they can answer yes to that question, because the gun would be more of a liability than an asset.

· Registered
6,912 Posts
OK, I'm going to step out on another splintered limb here, but here goes from my years as a SWAT Team member and firearms instructor.

Issue 1:
You should have never unleathered your weapon if you weren't prepared to use it, i.e. a right-damn-now threat of extreme bodily harm or death. Pulling a weapon for intimidation purposes is extremely poorly advised.

Issue 2:
If you've followed Issue 1, you are already in immediate danger of loss of life at close range no less. If the BG makes a move to rest me of my only defense, he will immediately meet the consumate end result of why I opted to initiate Issue 1 to begin with.

Beers y'all,
Ken

· Registered
11,589 Posts
OK, I'm going to step out on another splintered limb here, but here goes from my years as a SWAT Team member and firearms instructor.

Issue 1:
You should have never unleathered your weapon if you weren't prepared to use it, i.e. a right-damn-now threat of extreme bodily harm or death. Pulling a weapon for intimidation purposes is extremely poorly advised.

Issue 2:
If you've followed Issue 1, you are already in immediate danger of loss of life at close range no less. If the BG makes a move to rest me of my only defense, he will immediately meet the consumate end result of why I opted to initiate Issue 1 to begin with.

Beers y'all,
Ken
A splintered limb indeed...that's quite a bold stance you've taken there. :rolf :thumsup

· Banned
11,156 Posts
Distance, distance, distance.

· Registered
6,912 Posts
Distance, distance, distance.
Bingo, Mac45, my thoughts exactly. Anything that is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances to avoid DF should be considerd. But once that distance has been comprimised.........Back to Issue 1. Many, many, many "what if's" can be thrown in here, but IMHO, Issue 1 rules the roost.

Beers,
Ken

· Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
For my .02.....can't disagree with anything stated here. I will only add that learning to draw to and shoot from 'retention' at bad breath distance is a valuable tool to have and keep in your bag.

· Registered
321 Posts
I concur with hodawg that if my gun comes out of its holster, it is going to be fired, probably very many (13) times. I am not a LEO, and I am not about to draw down on some BG and tell him to "drop it." It's not my job to point my gun at someone and tell them to stop what they're doing.

So, if my gun is in my hand, there will be very little time for the BG to grab it. If it is in my hand, it is being fired, not just pointed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.