Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
54,946 Posts
Brownie....
If you just had two categories:
Women and Men
What pistols do you think are the three that feel best using your method? Three for women, three for men.
Hard question to answer Joe, as everyone's hands are different in size.

Some like a thin grip, like my shield, but others want something more hand filling like a Ruger Security 9 [ two small concealable semi's.

The K frame S+W would be at the top of the list because one can get target grips [ hand filling for big hands ], combat grips [ for smaller hands ] Hogue or other rubber type grips which cover both categories and reduce felt recoil. It will take light 38's for plinking, heavy 38+P's for serious business or 357 in 125's or 158 grains.

I'm not sure I can really answer the question you posed, there's really no rhyme nor reason why someone chooses one over another. Some discuss "it's too heavy", others discuss "it's too light".

Sorry Joe.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Well, one thing about poly guns is they can be cut, shaped, textured and re-sized.
Here are two G17’s of mine. The top one was reshaped and sized for my, at the time, arthritic hands. Also, if the law ever changes nationwide to “maximum ten round magazines” Glock 17 can be chopped easily to accommodate ten round mags.

D603BDA2-F625-4A96-8DCB-9E5A679EDF9A.jpeg

Reactions: brownie

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
I think I understand what joe was getting at (three most popular for each gender?), but I had the same answer que'd up from my POV, brownie. As soon as anyone puts the "best" descriptor on anything, it's immediately subjective in nature (e.g. "best carry caliber" 🤣 🍿).

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
I think I understand what joe was getting at (three most popular for each gender?), but I had the same answer que'd up from my POV, brownie. As soon as anyone puts the "best" descriptor on anything, it's immediately subjective in nature (e.g. "best carry caliber" 🤣 🍿).
I used “best” in line with Brownie’s scale of 1-10, which feels “best”.

·
Registered
20,663 Posts
Well, one thing about poly guns is they can be cut, shaped, textured and re-sized.
Here are two G17’s of mine. The top one was reshaped and sized for my, at the time, arthritic hands. Also, if the law ever changes nationwide to “maximum ten round magazines” Glock 17 can be chopped easily to accommodate ten round mags.

View attachment 70644
They dont have to be chopped to accept ten round mags...there are ten round mags available for them...

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
They dont have to be chopped to accept ten round mags...there are ten round mags available for them...
Yup, but they can be chopped to use readily available G26 mags.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I think of my firearms as tools. I have several Glocks and they’ve been my go to SD gun for 20 years. However, I could never take a hacksaw to one of mine to make it fit G26 mags. It would have to be a matter of live or death for me to do that. I’d just use my G26 instead. ;)

·
Registered
20,663 Posts
Yup, but they can be chopped to use readily available G26 mags.
10 round g17 mags are readily available...they are law in some states and magpul also makes them...

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
10 round g17 mags are readily available...they are law in some states and magpul also makes them...
I have never seen a stock 10 round G17 mag in any gunstore in South Carolina.
G26 mags are abundant.
I wouldn’t bother with Magpul mags. YMMV

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I’d carry my 4 inch 686 plus if it weren’t for all the sweating and hot weather in FL. On the other hand I personally never felt a need to carry a small gun in the summer. So I EDC the handgun I shoot second best to the S&W, which happens to be my sexy as all heck, Block 23 (it’s not a typo fellas. It’s hip to be square!). Have had it for a long time and it’s never failed me, mine is a Gen 3.

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
I used “best” in line with Brownie’s scale of 1-10, which feels “best”.
Joe, that wasn't a criticism of you at all. I merely meant that "best" is a relative or subjective term. It totally makes sense when brownie's talking to a specific person about what handgun feels the "best" for them. However, I was pretty sure he wouldn't say what was the "best for women" or the "best for . . ." because it's too subjective.

·
Registered
54,946 Posts
I’d carry my 4 inch 686 plus if it weren’t for all the sweating and hot weather in FL. On the other hand I personally never felt a need to carry a small gun in the summer. So I EDC the handgun I shoot second best to the S&W, which happens to be my sexy as all heck, Block 23 (it’s not a typo fellas. It’s hip to be square!). Have had it for a long time and it’s never failed me, mine is a Gen 3.
My small gun in the summer throws 230 grain Federal HST's, Ranger T's and Speer GD's like a 1911. (y)

·
Registered
20,663 Posts
I have never seen a stock 10 round G17 mag in any gunstore in South Carolina.
G26 mags are abundant.
I wouldn’t bother with Magpul mags. YMMV
i guess i would wonder where all those ten round mags would be if a situation desperat enough to cut your g17 should arise...kind of like ammo today...

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
i guess i would wonder where all those ten round mags would be if a situation desperat enough to cut your g17 should arise...kind of like ammo today...
Im in need of neither. Always well stocked. Chopping a Glock isn’t a big deal, it’ll still run the full size mags, which would be illegal in the scenario I posted about.
However, I recently handled a G19x. The 19 grip with the 17 slide has a nice balance to me. Maybe I’ll chop a 17 to a 26, add a pinky extension and have a more easily concealed Glock with a full size sight radius.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Joe, that wasn't a criticism of you at all. I merely meant that "best" is a relative or subjective term. It totally makes sense when brownie's talking to a specific person about what handgun feels the "best" for them. However, I was pretty sure he wouldn't say what was the "best for women" or the "best for . . ." because it's too subjective.
So that would be in line with which is the lightest gun in the picture?😂

A3530F8B-EA52-490E-8001-ABCA14E2B26A.png

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
^^^^
Toucé! 🤣

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Im in need of neither. Always well stocked. Chopping a Glock isn’t a big deal, it’ll still run the full size mags, which would be illegal in the scenario I posted about.
However, I recently handled a G19x. The 19 grip with the 17 slide has a nice balance to me. Maybe I’ll chop a 17 to a 26, add a pinky extension and have a more easily concealed Glock with a full size sight radius.
Isn’t it the other way around? G19 slide on a g17 frame. This is why I like G43X..... the grip is longer but retains the small 43 slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Isn’t it the other way around? G19 slide on a g17 frame. This is why I like G43X..... the grip is longer but retains the small 43 slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whoopsie....good catch....I sayed it backwurds.....now I have to chop the slide😂

6C0348D6-F7CE-4BE0-857A-A8ABADA8D72F.jpeg

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
21 - 40 of 51 Posts