Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oops, Wrong Section found Answer in Legal Section.
My Bad.:ak:doh

I have had numerous answers to this over the years but was wondering if there is a "Textbook Proper Answer". How do you Identify yourself to Law Enforcement if the situation arises, at a Traffic Stop, Situation??? You tell me the situation. How do you do this correctly. Officers have told me, They really don't want to know. Hands Up, on the Ground. As long as it stays where it is, it's alright. And, many other responses. What to do, Really.
SO-13

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The simple answer is that you are not required to say anything.

Personally, my opinion is that unless there's a chance of it becoming an issue (I have to exit the car, for example), I'm not going to make it one by telling him something he doesn't need to know. It's concealed, I'm seated in the car which puts it completely out of his view, and I have no plans to do anything to uncover it. No reason to say anything that might get him/her all upset. Some will appreciate you telling them, some won't. But you don't know which is which until it's too late.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
while it's not required to notify a LEO that you're armed some of us do.
The most common way is simply to include your CHL when you do the D/L Reg Ins hand over and shut up!!
Let the LEO tell you what he/she wants you to do after that.

AFS

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
I frequently get rolled on by LE and in 17 years of doing surveillance work as a P.I., I have only been asked one time if I was armed (and that was by some wet-behind-the-ears Gainesville cop who didn't look old enough to shave).

Do not volunteer any information during a traffic stop. If the LEO has reason to believe you're armed when he initiates the stop, he will likely wait for backup to arrive before he even approaches your vehicle. If he doesn't have reason to suspect that you're armed, the question probably won't even come up.

When stopped by police, you should:

A) Pull as far over to the shoulder as possible
B) Shut off your engine
C) Roll down your driver and passenger side windows (many officers, especially FHP, approach from the passenger side)
D) Have your DL, registration and insurance card out
E) Place both hands on the steering wheel
F) Don't be an asshat

:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
When stopped by police, you should:

A) Pull as far over to the shoulder as possible
B) Shut off your engine
C) Roll down your driver and passenger side windows (many officers, especially FHP, approach from the passenger side)
D) Have your DL, registration and insurance card out
E) Place both hands on the steering wheel
F) Don't be an asshat

:D[/QUOTE]

my understanding is that the best thing to do is both hands on the wheel till instructed by officer for your lic and reg. That way you are not digging for it while they are approaching your vehicle and they cannot see what you are doing. By waiting they can observe your movements as non-threatening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts