Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the definition of "professional" sporting event means, as it is listed as one of the places that it is illegal to carry in Florida. Are minor league teams included, or is it anyone who recieves pay for playing whatever sport. I have friends who play disc (frisbee) golf, there is a professional disc golfers association, If I go to watch a tournament would I be in violation? I just sent in my permit application a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to make sure I don't break any laws my first time out. Any clarification would be welcome.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Hey beach mystic thats a very good question. As you said there is no clear definition of professional sporting event therefore it should not be illegal to carry at a sporting event as long as it is not a "professional sporting event".

Hopefully you get your permit rather quickly. The minimum current wait time is about 45 days. Good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey beach mystic thats a very good question. As you said there is no clear definition of professional sporting event therefore it should not be illegal to carry at a sporting event as long as it is not a "professional sporting event".
Be careful about this. If the non-professional sporting event is being held at a school or college then you can't legally carry there. So the location of the event is important to keep in mind.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My best guess is that if the event is not classified as a " professional sporting event" and is not held at any of the following then it should be ok.

The following is a list of places where you are restricted from carrying a weapon or firearm even if you have a license. Please note that this is a simplified list. The places marked by an asterisk (*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.

any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
any courtroom*
any polling place
any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
any school administration building
any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
any elementary or secondary school facility
any area technical center
any college or university facility*
inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
A little off topic but in the same light. What about malls? I'm beginning to see gang bangers at the local mall. I don't go to the mall often but I don't want to be bothered or have my family in harms way at the mall either.

·
Administrator
806 Posts
I carry at the mall all the time. Basically in Florida you can carry anywhere other than whats on the above list. But if you are discovered to be carrying and is asked to leave then you have to.

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts
I carry at the mall all the time. Basically in Florida you can carry anywhere other than whats on the above list. But if you are discovered to be carrying and is asked to leave then you have to.
What he said! Nothing illegal about carrying at a mall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts