Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping you folks could help a soon-to-be CCW with a snag.

I have played by the rules and sent all the paperwork/fingerprints to Tallahassee (still waiting.) Bought a nice IWB holster, heck even a gun belt. Played around with wearing a loose shirt (button-down) over it... but as I am walking around the house practicing with this setup I cannot seem to keep from "printing."

I am fine so long as I am standing but as soon as I bend over or lean forward, the handle/magazine bottom shows through. FWIW, I am trying to hide a HK USP compact. I am average build. 5'11 and 165~... do I need to look for something else to carry? It seems like I am trying to hide a cereal box under my shirt.

AWD

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I'm headed out the door shortly to do some last minute Christmas shopping and I just had to take off my brand new sweather because I was printing so badly. However for me there is no way to totally not print any part of my weapon unless I wear ridiculously baggy clothes or a jacket. For me there is always going to be a little printing but not enough to tell if it's a gun. Couple that with the fact that people are totally oblivious to their surroundings and don't notice anything at all. For all they know it could be a cellphone. So if it's a slight print I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Photos would help, or at least letting us know what rig you're using and what position you're wearing it in. For example, a Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:30, with slight forward cant. Your carry rig will need to hold your gun as tightly to your body as possible, with enough cant to help keep the butt of the gun from protruding too much, depending on where it's carried on your hip.

Printing while leaning forward is going to happen, unless you're wearing a parka or something. And if you're doing that in FL, you've got other issues nobody here will likely be able to assist you with :D

For various reasons, I tend to not lean over if possible. I'll usually squat or go down on one knee. That mitigates the leaning-printing risk for me a bit.

-JT

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Definitely post some pic's, maybe we can help. The right holster can make a big difference

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Photos would help, or at least letting us know what rig you're using and what position you're wearing it in. For example, a Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:30, with slight forward cant. Your carry rig will need to hold your gun as tightly to your body as possible, with enough cant to help keep the butt of the gun from protruding too much, depending on where it's carried on your hip.

Printing while leaning forward is going to happen, unless you're wearing a parka or something. And if you're doing that in FL, you've got other issues nobody here will likely be able to assist you with :D

For various reasons, I tend to not lean over if possible. I'll usually squat or go down on one knee. That mitigates the leaning-printing risk for me a bit.

-JT
I am using a Tucker Texas Heritage, it is a very nice rig. Has adjustable clips for cant and rise. I have been trying it at between 3:00 and 4:00. The thing that gets me is the more cant the less visible... but getting in and out of my truck is awkward with it at 15 degrees... maybe I just need to keep at it.

Which leads to another question. If I am taking out/holstering in my truck and someone walks up and sees me then what? I have never thought of this at all.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Which leads to another question. If I am taking out/holstering in my truck and someone walks up and sees me then what? I have never thought of this at all.
I practice taking out/holstering while seated in my truck to the point where I can holster the gun without looking. I try to be discreet in the vehicle but if someone sees me and calls 911 then I've done nothing wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the USP compact in a Supertuck. It does print occasionally but that can be minimized by squatting or kneeling instead of bending.

Remember, you will have the "i've got a gun on me" paranoia for a while but it will pass. Most people are too self absorbed to even look for a CW.

Happy Carrying.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
It's funny, but after almost 15 years of CC, I don't give printing much of a thought.

I once had a G26 in a paddle holster under a jean jacket. I was on my motorcycle, the jacket usually stays put when I button the bottom button. Unbeknown to me, the button became undone and the jacket rode up over the gun.

I pulled in for gas and discovered I was "exposed"... hoping it was a recent event, I asked my buddy who was riding alongside me. He laughed and said "about 100 miles or so". This took place riding down the Florida Turnpike from the Palm City area through Miami!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I admit, I have been so preoccupied with not printing that I have not thought about how most people won't notice. I asked the wife if she noticed, and she said that I am being paranoid.

Still going to be weird at first...

AWD

·
Registered
28 Posts
You'll become less paranoid about your own carry and will watch others more closely. You will start to notice the legal CC types and the criminal element even more.

I believe you are starting to cross into the sheep dog mentality.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The gun only needs to be concealed. Printing is a different subject. Some places you may not want to print at all, other places it is not important.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don't even give it a thought, You'll get over it in 6month to a year :D PS MERRY CHRISTMAS :dancingbanana

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have found that even with the right settup and gun , there will always be some sort of printing. Like others here have said a little most likley won't matter much depending on where you are. I have found that darker colors help hide the printing problem considerably. Also a shirt with a texture or some kind of pattern can help. Shirts that are light material will help in some cases as they do not cling to the gun or lay against it in any detail. I went thru my closet trying on different shirts once just to see what worked well and what did not. I still find myself checking out the store window reflections tho once in a while. Mostly you will just get used to it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
With all the cell phone cases every one wears these days. It looks like everyone is packing. I print with my case. One could definitely mistake it for a gun handle, but most assume its a cell phone case.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I carry a full size large frame pistol and it prints a little but it's concealed and that's all that matters. Printing ain't brandishing. LEO's and some other concealed carriers may notice but so what. The sheeple and thugs are both too dumb to take notice.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You will notice printing more than anybody else. Thats because you automatically notice things on you that are different than what you expect to see. After a while that passes.

You probably will need to make some changes to your wardrobe to better conceal your weapon. IE: looser fit and different materials.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts