Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Technically, they are gasoline vapors, not fumes.
Fumes manifest only after combustion.

The risk is fairly low, but not zero.
Tomatoes, Tomaahtoes, let’s call the whole thing off! :p

·
Registered
21,082 Posts

·
Registered
55,434 Posts
Are we trapped onto believing that deadly force is only delivered by a firearm?...another case of "if all you have is a hammer"...
Deadly force can be applied with a pencil, or just the power of the hand [ maybe some will remember that power of the hand story I related a few times during evenings out after training ]. I don't think we here are locked into believing deadly force only being delivered at the muzzle of a gun.

In my own case, if someone started pouring gasoline on my POV, I'd be alighting with a good chance of demonstrating to that person why it was a bad idea to do so. "unless you'd like me to snatch the life out of you, you'd be smart to leave that lighter in your pocket. If they reach into their pocket for ANYTHING, they'd be staring at the muzzle of a firearm.

Certainly not going to sit there and let them finish what they apparently had in mind.

Or, I might drive away out of sight saying nothing at all. How old and how big is the guy with the gas can? 😅

·
Registered
123 Posts
A protestor was videoed pouring gasoline on an occupied NYPD van. I think this action justifies use of deadly force under FL law. The risk of starting a fire with a firearm discharge is a possibility. What do you guys that study the FL law MUCH more closely than me think?

Go to 27 sec to see gasoline pouring.
Sorry, but I would have lit them UP!

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
Sorry, but I would have lit them UP!
Don't apologize....it wouldn't be considered a poorly chosen option by most...

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
i have served...i will be of service...your majesty...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hearing a whole lot of tap dancing here. I think that I can claim reasonable fear of imminent harm or death - definite ability, jeopardy, and opportunity here. If I am in my car and someone starts pouring gasoline on it. Given I am not committing a criminal act and am in a place (my car - occupied vehicle) where I am authorized to be, I have no duty to retreat. I'm not waiting for the "ignition" source.

·
Registered
55,434 Posts
Hearing a whole lot of tap dancing here. I think that I can claim reasonable fear of imminent harm or death - definite ability, jeopardy, and opportunity here. If I am in my car and someone starts pouring gasoline on it. Given I am not committing a criminal act and am in a place (my car - occupied vehicle) where I am authorized to be, I have no duty to retreat. I'm not waiting for the "ignition" source.
Imminent would be you see him attempt to use an ignition source once the gas had been poured. Of course, one would be outside the vehicle by that time if one had any common sense at all.

Once outside the vehicle, if he were to use an ignition source and set the vehicle on fire, are you in imminent danger of grave bodily harm or death?

Inquiring minds would like to know. Continuing the tap dance.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Imminent would be you see him attempt to use an ignition source once the gas had been poured. Of course, one would be outside the vehicle by that time if one had any common sense at all.

Once outside the vehicle, if he were to use an ignition source and set the vehicle on fire, are you in imminent danger of grave bodily harm or death?

Inquiring minds would like to know. Continuing the tap dance.
Good analysis. If you jump out of the vehicle then you just jumped out of the danger zone. I know some websites use the ability, jeopardy etc. but in the real world I think the analysis is different.

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
Good analysis. If you jump out of the vehicle then you just jumped out of the danger zone. I know some websites use the ability, jeopardy etc. but in the real world I think the analysis is different.
curiosity is getting the best of me...would it still not be a forcible felony?...if someone is in the apparent act of committing arson?...or even property destruction?...

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
It might be but I think you would be at a high degree of risk if you used a lethal force. Even with some of the laws existing now, I tend to analyze it back to the old school “was there any way to avoid it?”

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I always defer to “Am I in legitimate fear for my life or great bodily harm?” If yes, and possible without endangering anyone else, I’ll shoot. It served me well and despite knives, clubs, etc. I never had to shoot. A whole lot of people would be living happier lives today if they had had that mindset.;)

·
Registered
55,434 Posts
I always defer to “Am I in legitimate fear for my life or great bodily harm?” If yes, and possible without endangering anyone else, I’ll shoot. It served me well and despite knives, clubs, etc. I never had to shoot. A whole lot of people would be living happier lives today if they had had that mindset.;)
You and I were cut from the same cloth, both having worked the streets for a considerable time. "Am I in legitimate fear for my life or great bodily harm" to which I'd add, RFN. If it's imminent, RFN or possibly die/suffer grave bodily harm, that's where my firearm is called on.

I'm more the type that won't draw until there's absolutely no other choice left. Having said that, if someone started to pour gas on my vehicle while seated in same, my first thought is to alight from the vehicle. Once I've alighted [ what, all of 1-2 seconds ] I'm no longer in imminent danger of being cooked alive should an ignition source be introduced. We'll just have to wing it from there based on their actions upon my alighting.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
my first thought is to alight from the vehicle. Once I've alighted [ what, all of 1-2 seconds ] I'm no longer in imminent danger of being cooked alive should an ignition source be introduced. We'll just have to wing it from there based on their actions upon my alighting.
What about driving away?

Reactions: bladenbullet
21 - 40 of 57 Posts