Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, if the laws have changed and I just don't know...please forgive and never mind......BUT......

In case you didn't know, not only is it illegal to carry a concealed weapon INTO the Post Office, you can get the same 20 years in the Federal Penitentiary simply for having it IN YOUR CAR.

Now for me, a law abiding citizen, this means I can NEVER carry my concealed pistol with me IF the Post Office is one of my stops.

So, If I'm out and need to stop by the Post Office, which I try to never use unless absolutely necessary, I have to leave my CCW at home. Or, don't go to the Post Office at all. In this Gun Grabbing era when Progerssives are looking for ANY and EVERY way to put evil gun owners under the jail because of their "natrual evilness and murderous personalities", is it really something that should be taken casually?

I know many people say "screw it", and they carry in there anyway (and have done so for years), or they leave it in their car.
But, should you get caught for ANY reason, you will probably go to jail for a long time.

But is this law even necessary? How many gun crimes has it stopped? Haven't we learned that Gun Free Zones are the deadliest?
Hell, if I worked at the Post Office I'd WANT to be allowed to carry concealed WHILE AT WORK.

This is such a huge infringement that I'm just stunned that nothing has been done to address this.
We have the Constitutional right to bear arms. The Post Office is an American STAPLE and one of the most common stops in the land.
Law abiding gun owners don't go postal. They STOP those who go Postal.

Don't you think this law needs to be rescinded?

·
Registered
20,394 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
I leave mine in the truck, but keep the extra mags and knife in my pockets. Nothing has ever "gone off" when I walk between the two security "things."

If I was worried about having a gun in the vehicle; I'd just park out on the street (or across it), instead of using the PO parking lot.

Rick

·
Registered
54,581 Posts
I've never considered it a priority to unarse to walk in and get my mail or park on the street. No metal detectors, how to frig are they EVER going to catch you carrying unless you're a dumbarse.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
I've never considered it a priority to unarse to walk in and get my mail or park on the street. No metal detectors, how to frig are they EVER going to catch you carrying unless you're a dumbarse.
The ones down here do have some sort of devices inside of the doors that you must walk between to get into the staffed area.

As noted in my post; I'm not sure if they actually work, or not.

Rick

·
Registered
453 Posts
The ones down here do have some sort of devices inside of the doors that you must walk between to get into the staffed area.

As noted in my post; I'm not sure if they actually work, or not.

Rick
Those are for the retail security tagged items. Like at Walgreens and such. Not metal detectors.

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
I'm not sure if some of the answers have been all around serious.. If you are going to find this place absurd there is a long list in 790... Not saying it's not absurd but... Concealed is concealed? Is that an advice? That's is a response for private business with no gun policies. For those who don't care for real, I guess it's the same at bars, schools, voting places, court buildings, heck.. police stations, etc. How you guys make the difference? It is a list, and no place is more logic than the other, except maybe correctional/prisons, but well, if you find some with entrance without metal detectors, go ahead. You are not going to break out anybody, no? :laughing :rolleyes:

If you are going to comply with the law, then you don't need to leave the gun in your house. Just park outside the PO lot and leave gun in the car. There is a right-of-way that people with guns in their cars tradicianally use ;)

And for those rolling their eyes now at this post... there is something somewhere about promoting in a public forum illegal activity... like... breaking an existing law... :dunno :rofl

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
I don't know of anything they sell at the PO that has much value to it; boxes, envelopes and such.

Rick
Regardless, that's what they are. I've got enough metal on me without a firearm to set off any metal detector. Never happens at the PO.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I don't know of anything they sell at the PO that has much value to it; boxes, envelopes and such.

Rick
My post office has all kinds of doodads. Coffee mugs with images from historic stamps, collector panes of stamps, first day covers, and not to mention tons of blank money orders.

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
I understand and practice the concept of "concealed is concealed." BUT, I won't break the law nor risk the potential consequences. I don't go to the P.O. often. But, when I do, I park next door / across the street (Publix shopping center). No biggie. I don't like it. But, it is what it is. I only go when I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I understand and practice the concept of "concealed is concealed." BUT, I won't break the law nor risk the potential consequences. I don't go to the P.O. often. But, when I do, I park next door / across the street (Publix shopping center). No biggie. I don't like it. But, it is what it is. I only go when I absolutely have to.
So park on the street instead of in their parking lot... It ain't that hard. You probably could use the exercise anyway... I agree it's a dipstick law that needs to be changed, but that's not happening real soon me-thinks...

Allan

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
So park on the street instead of in their parking lot... It ain't that hard. You probably could use the exercise anyway... I agree it's a dipstick law that needs to be changed, but that's not happening real soon me-thinks...

Allan
That's what I said, essentially. In my particular case, there's no parking available on the street. But, in the parking lot next door, it's no problem. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
What does the post office have that I can't get at the UPS store? I haven't been in a post office since I started to carry and don't think I will anytime soon. It peeves me off that a federal building that provides a service to the citizens of the US can just thumb their nose at the second amendment. You know the one that forbids the federal government from infringing on my pre-existing right to bear arms......the heck with them. :thumbsdwn

·
Registered
581 Posts
K
In case you didn't know, not only is it illegal to carry a concealed weapon INTO the Post Office, you can get the same 20 years in the Federal Penitentiary simply for having it IN YOUR CAR.
I agree with the intent behind the original post but I don't think that making up facts ever really helps your argument.

39 CFR 232.1
(P)(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to a fine as provided in 18 U.S.C. 3571 or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations or any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.

·
Registered
54,581 Posts
Post Office Gun Free Zones - How many lives have been saved? How many inconvenienced

Why do the numbers even matter? No one could even estimate the number of lives saved and an inconvenience is just that, an inconvenience.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Post Office Gun Free Zones - How many lives have been saved? How many inconvenienced

Why do the numbers even matter? No one could even estimate the number of lives saved and an inconvenience is just that, an inconvenience.
"Going Postal" has very little to do with customers (armed or otherwise). It has everything to do with the traditional work environment within the USPS culture. Their attitude is screw the employee at every opportunity. Pay them an outrageous wage so they are reluctant to go anywhere else ("golden handcuffs") and abuse the hell out of them simply because you can... The ones who have not painted themselves into a financial corner leave after a couple years. Those who stay, in many cases, suffered at the hands of those they worked for (in spite of) & when they finally have enough seniority to get into management they feel entitled/obligated to abuse their charges just like they were abused over years. Some employees crack & "go postal". The rules don't keep the public safe. They don't keep the employees safe. But those rules make management feel good because they did "something".

Allan - whose wife worked for the USPS for 14 years before being driven out by the culture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts