Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys,

Election day is looming and the parties are doing their best to get all the data they can on the voters.

I accept that as part of our form of government.

However, something that disturbed me was a question casually included in a recent telephone poll that I responded to the other day.

The guy asked me if I owned a gun!

Now, I don't wear a tinfoil hat (most of the time;), but I can tell you I was a bit concerned about where that info could end up!

You don't have to see "Red Dawn" to know that a list of gun owners can be a dangerous thing!

Heck, even making the jump to apply for the CCW Permit went against my grain.

Needless to say, I "Declined to comment".

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you enjoy your 2nd Amendment Right, you've noticed ONE thing about this election year.

They don't say a word about Guns.

Neither of them.

The Dems know that the anti-gun stance they took, pretty much cost them the election.

To be honest, I don't know WHAT to make of the two morons we have running for "office" here.

I don't trust either of them.

Ron Paul

-Wraith

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
The answer to that question should have been "none of your business". Maybe I'm just paranoid but it's easy to get info one someone through their phone number and someone sinister can easily start a list of gun owners through this survey.

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat? :rolf

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Wraith, +1!

@ Deadeyedick, Great Pic!

The question took me off guard and for a split second I actually considered telling the pollster that I was in fact a proud owner of multiple firearms.

The question was so casual and so seemingly harmless that it almost got past my internal filters.

I am happy I caught myself, but like I said, its a bit unnerving.

The thing that bothers me the most, is the fact that I was taking time out of my evening to contribute to our democratic process out of a sense of patriotic duty.

That sense almost made it seem as if I was talking to a public body. I.e. a non-private institution. (Not that I should divulge my 2A stance to gov't per se).

In a split second it dawned on me that I had absolutely NO idea who was collecting the info, much less where it would be transmitted to. There was no accountability and I certainly had few if any rights to tell the pollster to strike or refuse to transmit data that they compiled from me.

Public or private body aside, it occurred to me that I had almost been duped into voluntarily placing myself on a default gun owner registration list.

Now, I don't mind answering a political survey or two, but if someone was to call me up at night and say "Hello Sir, would you be willing to place yourself on a gun owner register?" my answer might not be fit for printing.

Yet, that is almost exactly what happened and I almost didn't even realize it.

Vigilance is a useful tool in nearly any situation and this experience drove that point home.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hell yes I owe guns.:dancingbanana
Now factor that into your position if you want my vote.

AFS

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
The answer to that question should have been "none of your business"

I've been answering questions with this response for years when appropriate:

"OOhh, I didn't tell you?"----pause for some response to the question, then---- "Must be none of your freakin business":rolleyes:

:D

Brownie

·
653 Posts
I don't consider participating in polls a patriotic duy. Its not part of the electoral process. Its only a part of the political process. It does nothing to promote or aid the electoral process or our democratic system in any way. If anything they serve to hinder the process. The only thing polls serve is as way for the candidates to know how they stand with the average voter. If they addressed the issues and they did what they sincerely felt was for the betterment of the nation and not just to get elected they wouldn't have to try and find out how they are doing. They would be winning hands down. Problem is they all want to feed us a bunch of BS and then gage how well we believed the BS they fed us so they know how much more of it they can feed us. As it was said here before all they get from me is the click.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
OK guys,

Election day is looming and the parties are doing their best to get all the data they can on the voters.

I accept that as part of our form of government.

However, something that disturbed me was a question casually included in a recent telephone poll that I responded to the other day.

The guy asked me if I owned a gun!
Answer:

" No sir, don't believe in them, don't have one, don't even know what one looks like, next question. " :rolf

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
So now the person running for office can assume guns aren't a matter to be considered in his/her district.

AFS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts