Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen somewhere (either in this forum or another), a post about carrying a Derringer in the right front pocket.

The author pointed out that:

(1) the Derringer is very concealable with a pocket holster.

(2) having your hand in your pocket with a grip on the Derringer does not constitute a "threat" since it is very natural to have your hand in your pocket - you could be reaching for your keys, etc., etc.. How could anyone claim that you were brandishing a weapon??

(3) if need be (in a life threatening situtation), the Derringer can be drawn VERY quickly since you already have a grip on it (and possibly cocked it) and you could get off 2 shots. If you are lucky and the 2 shots throws your assailant off balance, then you could possibly have much more time to draw your principal carry weapon, take aim, and finish the job.

Opinions ???

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
If I'm carrying in the pocket, I don't think I would want just 2 shots. Those 2 may not work and in seconds the BG could be on top of you. I'd opt for a few more rounds to send down range if I was to pocket carry. Even most of the 380's today are small and concealable in the pocket but carry 3 to 5 more than a derringer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'll sick with my KT-3AT. It's in my pocket at all times in a Don Hume holster. Feels about like a large knife and after a few mintues you don't even notice it.:drinks

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
With the right pants or shorts, I can carry a Kahr P9 in my pocket.

If you really have your heart set one, I suppose you could stick a derringer in your vest pocket while gambling aboard a riverboat there, Maverick. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Better Explanation

Out on the street, I carry a DA .45ACP either in a shoulder holster or at 4:00 IWB under a shirt. This 45 is a BERSA with a safety that renders the trigger inoperable, so I can load one in the barrel and feel comfortable in doing so. Flicking the safety off (as I am drawing the gun) puts it into Condition Red - CLICK BANG !

The scenario that I am looking at is this:

My wife and I are in a questionable neighborhood (on business) with some of Rodney King's drug crazed rappers circling and taunting. They have not displayed any weapons - yet ! My hand is in my pocket gripping and cocking the Derringer (totally unseen by human eyes). I have not brandished any weapon. There is someone with a video cam taking all of this in (a la Rodney King) to prove ****** started the trouble by drawing and threatening.

One of them lunges at my wife, I don't have time to lift the shirt and draw nor do I have time to reach inside my coat and draw. BUT, I can draw a fully cocked .45 ACP Derringer, flick off the safety, and blow this dude's ass away in a millisecond. He staggers but continues to come at my wife, and I fire the 2nd round into him.

Now his litle friends realize that I only have 2 shots - they get bold and advance. I pull the 7 rd BERSA .45 ACP and finish the fight - then reload another magazine.

The whole point of this scenario is that I NEVER brandished a weapon in a threatening manner, but I was able to come out smokin' with a .45 cal Derringer once they made their move.

If they produce their video for the LEO, then my point is proven.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
I understand your reasoning but, tactically speaking, I think that there are far better choices for pocket carry than a 2-shot derringer.

I would first attempt to withdraw from the situation, but frankly, if my wife and I were surrounded by a group of individuals like the one you described, my gun would be coming out and they'd be getting ordered, in no uncertain terms, to back the f**k off! A group of menacing gang-bangers, even unarmed ones, still represents a disparity of force and a potential for death or grievous bodily injury to you and your wife.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts