Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a brand new, first time gun owner. After extensive research(keeping budget in mind), I purchased a Taurus 709 slim with the intention of obtaining my CCW permit in the near future and having this gun fill that need. I've taken the gun to the range a few times, to the point I feel comfortable in my ability to shoot it well and would like to transition to a concealed carry on an "as needed basis", to an every day carry. As this is my first weapon and as it will be my first holster selection, I'm really leaning towards a pocket carry due to comfort and ease, as the 709 slim seems to fit well into my front pocket. I think realistically, in an environment I'm uncomfortable in, I can put my hand in my pocket and feel secure enough to draw as easily or better than I would be able to from any other holster location. BUT, my main concern with a pocket carry is what I perceive would be the most likely scenario I may encounter. That being someone approaching me outside to rob me of my personal belongings. Within this scenario, I'm expecting that they demand I empty my pockets, in which case I've just given them another weapon to use against me, or I've lost the ability to retain the weapon, should I need it later on in the encounter. If I had it holstered in my waist band, I would conceivably have been able to keep it from their attention and draw on an as needed basis(fyi.. happy to hand over my valuables without bringing my weapon out if it makes them go away). So... my basic question is.. am I over thinking this? Should I just go with what feels most comfortable, or should I take into account a scenario which I think I would be most likely to encounter which would require me to engage my firearm? Has anyone had an instance where a pocket carry was not the ideal location within that particular encounter?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pocket Carry - "empty your pockets"

I'm a first time gun owner and just posted this question within the holster section to see what input may be obtained from that perspective, but would like to pose the same basic question to a defensive scenario. If you were pocket carrying a pistol and were confronted with an armed BG demanding you empty your pockets, what would you do?

·
Registered
15,211 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If they don't pat you down, how will they know if your pockets are empty? Situational awareness goes a long way in keeping you out a a scenario like that

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
One word, TRAINING. I always have Elsie (Ruger LCP) in my pocket, whether the Glock is on my hip or not. Please, please, PLEASE allow me the time to empty my pockets for you, Mr. Bad Guy. I know of seven objects I will immediately give you... at about 950 feet per second.

Now wait for the "pocket carry is a bad idea" guys. :grin

Welcome aboard!

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Pull my gun out of my pocket and shoot them. This is, of course, provided that the BG is threatening me with great bodily harm and/or death. Otherwise I'd just say no. See my reply to your other post as well and welcome aboard, again! :grin

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,211 Posts
Pull my gun out of my pocket and shoot them. This is, of course, provided that the BG is threatening me with great bodily harm and/or death. Otherwise I'd just say no. See my reply to your other post as well and welcome aboard, again! :grin

-on Tapatalk
He's robbing me..close enough for me :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I get to the point where I let someone present a weapon and demand my possessions I have clearly missed the situational awareness aspect of things. I guess, what your saying is, I could be carrying it anywhere, and a pat down would be the same no matter if I was carrying it in my pocket or on my body. My only thought was that if they are focusing in on the pockets, as I would assume they would, wouldn't they at least see the bulge from the gun in the pocket and be less likely to notice it elsewhere on the body?

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
He's robbing me..close enough for me :D
Well yeah, for YOU! :p I like to mess with their head a bit first. It entertains me. :what:

Oh yeah, we tend to thread drift sometimes, Ryan. Please excuse me. We're just trying to make you feel right at home. :) By the way, where are you located? I'm on my phone so I can't see it.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
If I get to the point where I let someone present a weapon and demand my possessions I have clearly missed the situational awareness aspect of things. I guess, what your saying is, I could be carrying it anywhere, and a pat down would be the same no matter if I was carrying it in my pocket or on my body. My only thought was that if they are focusing in on the pockets, as I would assume they would, wouldn't they at least see the bulge from the gun in the pocket and be less likely to notice it elsewhere on the body?
Chances are, they won't ever know you have a gun in your pocket. Like all of us when we first started carrying, myself included, YOU think everyone can see it but the reality is that they can't. In the situation you describe, I would think the gun being in your pocket would be better than one on your hip. If I am incorrect it will be pointed out by another member shortly but I know I would personally prefer one in my pocket if I were in that situation.

What kind of holster are you using?

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
That thread merge just messed with my head! :sly:

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not decided on a holster yet. I'm really leaning towards a pocket style holster, but this one particular scenario(and I guess a million others just like it) are making me think otherwise. If it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and all things being equal, I will probably go with a pocket option. As to which option, I've yet to decide.

·
Registered
15,211 Posts
pocket holsters have their place. Hand can be kept on the gun and look natural. Drawback is they are awkward and somewhat slow to draw from. Even when I carry a j frame BUG I usually carry it in a crossdraw holster. Hodawg was going to put on a training class for just such a scenario. Whatever holster you choose as far as pocket carry, make sure it breaks up the gun outline and stays IN the pocket when you draw

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
So you're pocket carrying and someone trying to rob you tells you to empty your pockets? You own their ass.

Your gun is in your pocket and they just told you to put your hand in your pocket and remove articles from it? Draw, move laterally to avoid their weapon and make judicious application of lead.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
So you're pocket carrying and someone trying to rob you tells you to empty your pockets? You own their ass.

Your gun is in your pocket and they just told you to put your hand in your pocket and remove articles from it? Draw, move laterally to avoid their weapon and make judicious application of lead.
This, unless I think I can GTFO of there instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, in my scenario, BG approaches and tells you to empty your pockets, you're pocket carrying, pull and engage. If you weren't pocket carrying, would your reaction to pulling your weapon be different?

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Google the "DeSantis Super Fly" pocket holster. That would be a good option if you're worried about someone seeing the thing in your pocket. That is the holster I use in NPEs (non-permissive environments).

For everyday carry, I use the DeSantis Nemesis. It is less bulky.

I just picked up a DeSantis Pocket-Tuk a week or so ago and have been using that one lately. It can go from a pocket holster to an IWB (in-waistband) tuckable holster by adding and removing the belt clip. I'm still breaking it in so I can't report much yet but I like it so far.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I would try to distract him with the left hand by dropping a few bills on ground, then if he looks down shoot him with the right hand gun from pocket . Just my plan if i am in that type of robberie . like most plans it will probably fail

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
pocket holsters have their place. Hand can be kept on the gun and look natural. Drawback is they are awkward and somewhat slow to draw from. Even when I carry a j frame BUG I usually carry it in a crossdraw holster. Hodawg was going to put on a training class for just such a scenario. Whatever holster you choose as far as pocket carry, make sure it breaks up the gun outline and stays IN the pocket when you draw
I used to think that, until we did a little experiment. With my hand on the gun in my pocket, my time to first shot was about .25secs (repeated numerous times). My fastest time ever from concealment to first shot is .68 (.70 the day of the experiment), from open carry (gunfighter draw, hand near weapon) is .42 (.8 the day of the experiment).

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
No problem drawing from pocket UNLESS your using jeans or other horizontally slotted front pocket pants. You need to use slashed pockets (cargo style or similar) for your hand and weapon to be drawn in a rearward motion with very little possibility of snagging it. If you're going to wear jeans, IWB is better IMO. PLEASE seek training with a qualified instructor (many awesome instructors in here) and learn how to fire from 1/2 or 3/4 hip. Especially at bad breath distance. And please forget about the sights for such a small gun, point shooting is what you need to learn, period.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Google the "DeSantis Super Fly" pocket holster. That would be a good option if you're worried about someone seeing the thing in your pocket. That is the holster I use in NPEs (non-permissive environments).
Seconded. The extra flap makes it look like a wallet.

As far as pocket carry not being detected...unless you have really big pockets or a really small gun, that's unlikely. Usually at best you can disguise it as a nondescript bulge.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts