Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance has a charge from 7 years ago for battery on a leo and resisting arrest (both are felonies) but adjudication was withheld on both charges; is he still able to get a concealed weapons permit? I've heard diffrent answers but nobody I have asked really knows; I really just don't want to pay the 102 bucks for no reason.

:aarg:dunno:pistols

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Final disposition? Withheld means postponed, usually for a specific period until certain conditions are met. :dunno

·
Super Moderator
27,742 Posts
My fiance has a charge from 7 years ago for battery on a leo and resisting arrest (both are felonies) but adjudication was withheld on both charges; is he still able to get a concealed weapons permit? I've heard diffrent answers but nobody I have asked really knows; I really just don't want to pay the 102 bucks for no reason.

:aarg:dunno:pistols
Welcome to FCC, princess.chele! :wave

First, I would ask has your fiancé called DOACS to discuss his situation with them and/or has he talked with an attorney competent in Florida firearms law? Yes, a consult with an attorney will likely cost more than the application fee, previous run-ins with law enforcement create tedious legal questions and eligibility for a FLCWL likely hinges on the specifics on your fiancé's case, which he may not be comfortable discussing in an internet forum. :dunno

Secondly, I would like to suggest that you go to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. With your own introduction thread, you'll find the rest of the FCC membership will chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, too! Besides your immediate question, there's lots of great information and help to be had from the members here. :grin

Again, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Sorry. Allow me to be the first one with a cold response.
Your fiancé battered a police officer and now wants to carry a concealed firearm?
They should have locked him up. And if he's the kind of person to do that please rethink marrying him.
Because if he will beat up a cop what is he gonna do to you in a dark home when you two are all alone and he loses his temper?
Better men out there my dear.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Your fiancé battered a police officer and now wants to carry a concealed firearm?
They should have locked him up. And if he's the kind of person to do that please rethink marrying him.
Because if he will beat up a cop what is he gonna do to you in a dark home when you two are all alone and he loses his temper?
:clap

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
I'll play Devil's Advocate here. It was 7 years ago. Before the "recording the police" revolution was fully under way. Perhaps his charges really amounted to nothing more than contempt of cop - hence the adjudication withheld. How often are they really going to give someone adjudication withheld on felony battery on LE and resisting unless it's a crap case?

That said, if he did actually do it and by a stroke of luck got a hall pass with the adjudication withheld - run, don't walk. Anybody dumbass enough to commit battery on an LE is lacking critical judgement skills and you would be well served not to be in the blast radius in the future.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
To answer the actual question:

IF adjudication was withheld, he's completed all court requirements (probation, etc...) and it's been at least 3 years since said completion of requirements, Yes, he is eligible for a CWFL.

Be prepared to submit documentation proving all of the above.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
I'll play Devil's Advocate here. It was 7 years ago. Before the "recording the police" revolution was fully under way. Perhaps his charges really amounted to nothing more than contempt of cop - hence the adjudication withheld. How often are they really going to give someone adjudication withheld on felony battery on LE and resisting unless he had money, a good lawyer and got lucky

That said, if he did actually do it and by a stroke of luck got a hall pass with the adjudication withheld - run, don't walk. Anybody dumbass enough to commit battery on an LE is lacking critical judgement skills and you would be well served not to be in the blast radius in the future.
How about that?

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
How about that?
Eh, anything is possible. We know next to nothing and in all fairness she didn't come here asking for relationship advice. But we're helpful fellows and can't help ourselves. :grin

Thanks to Rvrctyrngr for actually answering her question. I let myself get caught up in the other facets.

·
Super Moderator
27,742 Posts
To answer the actual question:

IF adjudication was withheld, he's completed all court requirements (probation, etc...) and it's been at least 3 years since said completion of requirements, Yes, he is eligible for a CWFL.

Be prepared to submit documentation proving all of the above.
:thumsup That was a better way to answer her question because the answer is conditional on unknown facts, which is why I didn't give an answer; I didn't have enough facts and referred them to discuss their situation with DOACS and/or an attorney. :grin

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Eh, anything is possible. We know next to nothing and in all fairness she didn't come here asking for relationship advice. But we're helpful fellows and can't help ourselves. :grin

Thanks to Rvrctyrngr for actually answering her question. I let myself get caught up in the other facets.
Sorry, Pig made me do it. We know he battered a cop and now wants to carry a gun?
Sounds like a recipe for another news story about somebody getting shot.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Sorry, Pig made me do it. We know he battered a cop and now wants to carry a gun?
Sounds like a recipe for another news story about somebody getting shot.
In all fairness we only know that a cop said he battered a cop, and the cop said he resisted arrest. I may be wrong but I think that usually all it takes is the word of the officer to get a conviction on both of those charges, absent evidence to the contrary. If that's so, then the fact that he was given adjudication withheld on both says more to me than the charges do.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
What if he was a minor at the time? :dunno

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
In all fairness we only know that a cop said he battered a cop, and the cop said he resisted arrest. I may be wrong but I think that usually all it takes is the word of the officer to get a conviction on both of those charges, absent evidence to the contrary. If that's so, then the fact that he was given adjudication withheld on both says more to me than the charges do.
Fair enough.

Same brain in his head no matter the age then or now.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Actually, I don't think it's really the same brain as he would have if he survives long enough to mature. But what I meant to imply with my poorly worded question was NOT that he should be treated lightly (no adjudication, probation, etc) but that our justice system DOES usually treat minors lightly, sometimes for repeated offenses. There should be a limit, but as others have said, we don't know the details, we're guessing.

·
Registered
15,142 Posts
The OP bailed

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
The OP bailed
Gee, wonder why?

She comes here looking for information and all you knights in rusty armor try to save her virtue....knowing g absolutely NOTHING about the facts of the situation.

Nice job.

·
Registered
54,668 Posts
Gee, wonder why?

She comes here looking for information and all you knights in rusty armor try to save her virtue....knowing g absolutely NOTHING about the facts of the situation.

Nice job.
:rofl

·
Registered
15,142 Posts
Gee, wonder why?

Nice job.
Wasn't me. I lost interest when the word "fiance" was uttered

1 - 20 of 62 Posts