Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a speed loader for my Ruger SP 101 .38 revolver. As usual I know nothing about such a thing and would appreciate your advice as to what to purchase. From what I've seen so far they run in the $9 range but I wasn't sure if one brand was better over another brand.

It seems that someone here always has an answer to my questions. Thank you yet again.

MamaBear

·
Registered
3,224 Posts

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
Mamabear,

The link takes you to the fastest speedloader you can buy, spring assisted.

http://shop.revolverarmorer.com/pro...785E.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=19&productId=167

The hks speedloaders are well made and what I have presently for my revos:

http://www.hksspeedloaders.com/SpeedloaderPage.html [ the 36a is the one for your sp101 ].

The safariland comp111's are also spring loaded and great for fast reloads.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1718.php

Google the three names, you can find them at many online stores searching for the best pricing.

You'll probably go with the hks loaders as they are the least inexpensive and more readily available at your local gun shops. Remember that any loader you buy will also fit the S+W model 36/60 jframes. If your gun is not listed on the package, don't worry as long as it lists the S+W 36/60 models, it will work.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you SwampRat and Brownie,

I'm headed out of town tomorrow morning to drive to Alabama. I'm going to try to look at these links before I go to get some reputable names of speed loaders so I can go to a gun shop up there.

Mom has dial-up internet access so I don't even bother with email or internet while I'm up there. I'll be taking a week off from the board but if you have any other links or information about speed loaders please post them here and I'll find this thread upon my return.

MamaBear

I realize this is a gun site but at the same time I feel like I'm handing over the house keys to a bunch of frat boys who are going to trash the place while I'm gone. It sure is easy to feel like the Mama no matter where you are. :D

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
We'll be good mamabear (well some of us). :D You take care and drive safely. You may be able to take a trip to the library and get on the net to check up on us (oops did I just type/say that?)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I realize this is a gun site but at the same time I feel like I'm handing over the house keys to a bunch of frat boys who are going to trash the place while I'm gone. It sure is easy to feel like the Mama no matter where you are. :D
Only if you're the mama type.

I guess you are.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Mama Bear you will always be the Mama in this house, be careful Drive safe More people on the roads these days. Have a Safe Trip Wish you and the family well.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
I found the moon clip in the S&W video interesting. I wouldn't think that these would work with all revolvers. Does anyone here know more about them?

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Have a safe trip Mamabear. Remember if your going to drive, no speeding. We don't want a new thread entitled "Got pulled over while carrying". :D

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your kind words. We went to dh's office party tonight and I carried a black, sequined hand bag and inside was my loaded LCP with an extra magazine. [snicker] gotta love it

MamaBear

I've printed off some of the speedloader info and will have my brother-in-law go to a gun shop with me.

I'll check back in with you guys in a week.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
I found the moon clip in the S&W video interesting. I wouldn't think that these would work with all revolvers. Does anyone here know more about them?
Here's a pretty good explanation regarding the history and use of moon clips...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_clip

They'll only work with revolvers specifically manufactured or modified to accept them. At this point they're mostly used in competition, as the guns they're used in tend to be large ("N") frame revolvers that are on the heavy side for concealed carry. I have a S&W M625 in .45 ACP that uses moon clips and I can tell you with absolute certainty that they are faster than any speedloader. Not to mention the fact that they make brass retrieval much easier. :thumsup

·
Registered
34 Posts
Speed Loaders

I use a speed loader for my SP101 and my Ruger Red Hawk.

They work very good.........quick way to reload a wheel gun.

But some practice may be required, I use the type with the twist release.

Don't care much for the rubber plunger type.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Here's a pretty good explanation regarding the history and use of moon clips...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_clip

They'll only work with revolvers specifically manufactured or modified to accept them. At this point they're mostly used in competition, as the guns they're used in tend to be large ("N") frame revolvers that are on the heavy side for concealed carry. I have a S&W M625 in .45 ACP that uses moon clips and I can tell you with absolute certainty that they are faster than any speedloader. Not to mention the fact that they make brass retrieval much easier. :thumsup
Thanks, Deadeye. Interesting article. I'm glad to see that I wasn't totally screwed up thinking they wouldn't be suitable for all revolvers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts