Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still doing research on holsters. At our local gun range I saw an Uncle Mike's holster for my LCP and it fit perfectly. I would have to broaden my style of shirts and blouses somewhat but it will be doable.

I'm also considering a belly band. Would someone be willing to post pictures of belly bands? How many extra magazines do you carry? My LCP has 6 rounds. Could I get by with a revolver in a belly band? The few places I've found online that actually have belly bands never show a person wearing one so I'm having a hard time visualizing how one actually would look on someone.

Thank you for any suggestions. I'm in a constant state of learning and am enjoying this new venture. I so get somewhat confused when some places say leather is not good for a holster yet everywhere I look there are leather holsters for sale. How to I reconcile that? Is it a certain type of leather that is not good or is it the duration that the gun is actually in the holster? It would be nice to not look like a dear in headlights when I go into a store and start asking questions.

MamaBearto2

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Here is a pic of someone wearing a bellyband holster. It's not me though.:laughing If you notice, he is carrying a revolver. I have no personal experience wearing one of these so I cant attest to it's comfort. I'm not sure if I could keep anything around my stomach for long periods.

I so get somewhat confused when some places say leather is not good for a holster yet everywhere I look there are leather holsters for sale. How to I reconcile that? Is it a certain type of leather that is not good or is it the duration that the gun is actually in the holster?
Leather and guns go together like peanut butter and jelly. Some people just prefer to go with the latest kind of holsters made of Kydex. Kydex is good for many types of situations and it's easy to re-holster with in general. It's also requires little to no care. However a quality leather holster is better in my opinion. Leather has character and once broken in conforms better to the body. It also does not wear on the gun's finish as much as Kydex. This is the reason why some of the most popular holster are a combination of the two.

Here is a leather holster for a revolver.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Leather's been in use as a holster for a couple hundred year...prolly longer...it's a preference thing.

Likely what the anti-leather folks dislike is the fact that leather will retain liquids...such as body sweat...and can then encourage rust on many types of gun finishes. Good...harness type leather though (which most good holsters are made of) would have to be drenched in order for the wetness to get to your gun. Plus...with proper care, cleaning and treatment..it is a non-issue.

That's why, as Nkm mentioned...some holster makers have thought a little outside of the box and combined the newer materials (like Kydex) with leather...taking advantage of the positive properties of both materials...and in some respects...keeping the costs lower for what you are getting.

www.crossbreedholsters.com is one good example.

As far as belly bands go...the only piece of advice I will pass along on them is this...if you buy one...buy two.

This is Florida...and it gets mighty hot here...and that elastic/nylon band around your belly is gonna get a little....uhhh...dirty... ;) So...buy a second so you can have it to wear while the other is being washed and hung out to dry. (since I believe the elastic will not last long if it is frequently exposed to the heat of a dryer)

The only other consideration that I can think of right now is drawing from it. Unless you wear your shirts 'tails out' (which then opens up other possible carry options) it will be a slow and clunky process to draw from one of these things...

If you are in a buttoned shirt...you could commit to the "superman' draw...where you firmly grab each side of your shirt and RIP the buttons off to access your gun...hopefully...you actually needed it and it was not a false alarm if you do this...

If your situational awareness is up to par...perhaps you would have time to simply unbutton a button or two and reach in...assuming you keep the gun positioned for that type of draw and that you CAN keep it in said position and not print.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'm not a fan of bellybands, as I can't see just how one is supposed to access their weapon quickly; particularly, under stress.

Leather is a common and popular choice for concealment holsters, but in FL, the holster absorbing sweat and humidity can cause some concerns with corrosion on your firearm. However, as long as you properly maintain your firearm (such as wiping it down with a silicon impregnated cloth before storing it for the day/night), you should be okay. My beef with leather (no pun intended, honest!) is that quality leather is expensive, and there is often a waiting list that can be measured in months.

The kydex-leather hybrids, like Crossbreed and the Comp-tac Minotaur series are very good choices for the FL climate, in my opinion. For the record, I use a Crossbreed Supertuck daily, and have been extremely satisfied with it, both in comfort, and concealability. Furthermore, the wait for my holster was 2-3 weeks, rather than 3-4 months, and the price was very nice.

However, kydex can cause wear on your gun's finish, but so will leather, over time. Finish wear on a gun is a sign of good, honest use and practice :) In my case, my gun has a polymer frame and a stainless slide, so wear is not an issue for me.

Another option is the Smartcarry style of holster. It's almost like a bellyband for appendix-carry. Personally, I don't like them. Just a personal thing with a gun's muzzle being so intimate with my twig and berries. However, many people swear by them.

But, an overriding concern may be that it is often difficult for a woman to find a good, comfortable concealment holster, as precious few holster makers design anything SPECIFICALLY for a woman's figure. Cunningham Holsters is one maker, and I believe Mitch Rosen makes the Nancy Special.

If at all possible, stick with on-the-body carry. Carrying in a purse, or even a fannypack, has numerous risks. To me, the most significant of these risks is if someone were to snatch the purse or fannypack. Not only do they have the items in your purse/fannypack, they've got your weapon, too.

I just re-read the original post before putting my reply up. For an LCP, depending on your mode of dress, a smallish-pocket holster may work as well. Just be sure that any pocket holster you use properly covers the trigger. I've seen some cheapie holsters that don't quite cover the holster. Bad juju.

Enough rambling. Too much caffeine in a short time span.

-JT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Belly band

The picture shown has the belly band very high. I use a belly band occasionally and were it as you would a smart carry holster. (sorry no pics) This at the belt line with my piece slightly off center. I can wear jeans or dress slacks and my shirt tucked in and no one knows I am carrying. A simple tug on the shirt and I have access to my weapon. ( I carry a Glock G23).

Chuck

·
Registered
88 Posts
hope you dont plan on eating at buffet alot or you may need a few dif sized belly bands lol...

Just stuff it in the pants :thumsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Belly band holster is very comfortable for me even in Florida. I wear it as in the photo positioned for cross draw (right handed). I have the second and the third button of my shirt unbuttoned. Drawing is relatively easy and fast after some practice. Works with tucked or untucked shirt.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use a belly band when wearing shorts w/o a belt, but wear it even with the belt line. Haven't had any problems with it and its is comfortable to wear.
Never tried wearing it across the belly :D

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I use a belly band when wearing shorts w/o a belt, but wear it even with the belt line. Haven't had any problems with it and its is comfortable to wear.
Never tried wearing it across the belly :D
I wear it the same now i don't use it everyday,When i use sweat pants sometimes when i used cargo shorts loose shorts and i must say conceals nicely when my wife uses sweats she will use it as well.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts