Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a bag guy tries to enter your home you can shoot.. he tries to enter you vehicle..you can shoot but what about a motorcycle??? Just a few nights ago a large homless man came up to me wile i was at a red light with my old lady on the back and asked me for a cigerette when i said NO he got pissed made a few agressive/threatening movements at us at close range 2-4feet fortunetly the light changed and i left. but i wanted to stick my gun in his face a tell him to get lost... I was at a couple disadvantages.. give me some feed back
??

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
An intro in the Introduce yourself would be a good start!:thumsup

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just read something about this in the

Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership Seventh Edition.
By Jon H. Gutmacher Esq.

I suggest you get a copy and read it as sticking a gun in his face might have landed you in hot water. :thumsup

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
An intro in the Introduce yourself would be a good start!:thumsup
This and welcome to the forum. Good post. mmmm, I'm not sure about this one. I recall being discussed before. The old timers will soon chime in. I don't have Gutmacher's book at hand right now to look at his definition of conveyance when referencing a motorcycle.

Sticking the gun in someone's face is a sure ticket to trouble. Unless you intend to pull the trigger, don't bring it out. More than likely a homeless is not going to call the cops on you if you pull it out, but any bystanders witnessing this will.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Motorcycles same as a car. Page 96 of THE BOOK =).

CCW Permit concealed on your person no permit in a saddle bag.

·
Registered
13,700 Posts
Did you think of driving away when he approached you? It's what I would have done with my wife on the back. And I would have laughed as I drive away.

·
Registered
135 Posts
IMO as a concealed gun carrier even with Stand your Ground you should do everything you can to DE ESCALATE the situation. Including running away and leaving the area.

Gun coming out of my holster is my last resort.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Did you think of driving away when he approached you? It's what I would have done with my wife on the back. And I would have laughed as I drive away.
IMO as a concealed gun carrier even with Stand your Ground you should do everything you can to DE ESCALATE the situation. Including running away and leaving the area.
Gun coming out of my holster is my last resort.
Agree with both of these.
IMO he had't yet justified your "shooting him", so likewise he didn't justify your "pulling a gun on him". There's not difference.

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
If someone approaches me while stopped at a light [ and the bike is always in neutral at those times ], I put the kickstand down. I've had occasions to alight rather quickly off the bike either while at a light or just talking to others in a parking lot as I pulled up. Many people think you are a victim because it will take you too long to alight from the bike, that's not necessarily true :grin

The passenger, if there is one, gets to sit there while I jump off and deal with whatever happens to need dealing with, but I'll not get trapped taking blows or attempts to push on me or the bike to get it unbalance and dropped to the street.

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
If someone approaches me while stopped at a light [ and the bike is always in neutral at those times ], I put the kickstand down. I've had occasions to alight rather quickly off the bike either while at a light or just talking to others in a parking lot as I pulled up. Many people think you are a victim because it will take you too long to alight from the bike, that's not necessarily true :grin

The passenger, if there is one, gets to sit there while I jump off and deal with whatever happens to need dealing with, but I'll not get trapped taking blows or attempts to push on me or the bike to get it unbalance and dropped to the street.

Get that stand down when stopped if someone approaches you in the street. Bale off either side isn't too difficult and you're not trapped trying to not drop the bike AND be dealing with some asshat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreaciate all the comments.. would have taken off from the get go but traffic in front and behind.. ultimitly no one was harmed. but would still like to know if considerd a personal convayence?????

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
If someone approaches me while stopped at a light and the bike is always in neutral at those times , I put the kickstand down. I've had occasions to alight rather quickly off the bike either while at a light or just talking to others in a parking lot as I pulled up. Many people think you are a victim because it will take you too long to alight from the bike, that's not necessarily true :grin

Get that stand down when stopped if someone approaches you in the street. Bale off either side isn't too difficult and you're not trapped trying to not drop the bike AND be dealing with some asshat.
Sitting at a light in neutral is one of the worst ideas anyone on a bike can have. The risk of being struck from behind by a vehicle is several magnitudes greater than getting rolled by a thug at a light. Statistically, a bike getting rear-ended at a light is the single greatest bike/auto crash event.

Getting off the bike prior the pillion is a good trick. I would think INTENTIONALLY dumping the bike would be the only way to accomplish this quick enough to not leave one exposed to an attacker.

Brownie, I'll never rise to your level of martial expertise, BUT between the hundreds of thousands of miles I have on 2 wheels, and a quarter century of responding to bike accidents, I think I have you trumped on this one!:cr

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
George,
Sitting at a light in neutral is one of the worst ideas anyone on a bike can have.

So if I see someone about to rear end me at the light, I boot it into the intersection and get crunched taking a leg? :grin No thanks, I'll take my chances with getting rear ended. After the first car pulls up behind you, you've got a buffer, but I agree it's that first one you gotta watch out for. And I don't throw it in neutral and stand down unless I'm approached [ it's happened twice with a problem developing ]. The first time I had to dump the bike and get to work [ and that PO'd me more than having to deal with the asshat, he took more pain for that than being an aggressive turd ]. The second time I just jumped off the bike with the stand down in neutral and went to work [ surprised the crap out of the guy I lept off the bike like I did which gave me a little advantage to join the party ]. I don't want to drop the bike if I don't have to, it really upsets me. :grin

Getting off the bike prior the pillion is a good trick. I would think INTENTIONALLY dumping the bike would be the only way to accomplish this quick enough to not leave one exposed to an attacker.

See above, with the stand down, just throw the leg over the seat on either side and use the bike as a barrier initially :thumsup

I have no idea how many miles I've put on bikes, but the first mile on one started in 1969 and with the exception of 3-4 years in between have been sitting on one since then. I haven't ridden near the miles you have though, perhaps a couple hundred thousand at best [ and I say that because the beemer had 89K+ on it when that one got crunched with me on board [ at least until I went over the handlebars and through the windshield :dunno ] so I'm thinking just a couple hundred K.

Keep that beast up on two wheels at all times :thumsup

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm with Brownie on this one, except get off the bike on the opposite side of the BG, this places the bike between you and him, giving you a buffer/cover/barrier to diffuse the situation and time to draw your weapon if needed.

Also being rear ended the first thing you would do is let out on the clutch, compounding the problem as now the bike lunges forward as you roll off the back of the bike into the middle of the intersection.

I rode for a few years, now I pick up those that no longer ride.
Godspeed
MrC.

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
I'm with Brownie on this one, except get off the bike on the opposite side of the BG, this places the bike between you and him, giving you a buffer/cover/barrier to diffuse the situation and time to draw your weapon if needed.

Also being rear ended the first thing you would do is let out on the clutch, compounding the problem as now the bike lunges forward as you roll off the back of the bike into the middle of the intersection.

I rode for a few years, now I pick up those that no longer ride.
Godspeed
MrC.
We're on the same page, I wrote just throw the leg over the seat on either side and use the bike as a barrier initially :thumsup

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Hmmmmm, I wonder why virtually EVERY Motorcycle Safety Course recommends sitting at a light in first, clutch in, and scanning the rear? I'll have to tell them they are all wrong! BTW, you don't dart into the intersection, but rather take a diagonal escape route.... but then again, everyone who has taken (or in my case taught) a MSC already knows that!

Oh, you also mentioned getting off whilst the "passenger if there is one, gets to sit there while I jump off"... My comment of you getting off PRIOR to the pillion (passenger) being a good trick stands... I'd like to see a video of that! Sure it can be done, but not in any kind of timely fashion, and CERTAINLY only on the kickstand side, hence my comment of "intentionally" dumping the bike (and passenger).

The passenger, if there is one, gets to sit there while I jump off and deal with whatever happens to need dealing with
Again Sir, I will never rise to your level of Martial Artistry, but on a motorcycle, I can hold my own with anyone (well at least anyone MY AGE.... the kids riding today are just nuts! LOL!)

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
George,
My passengers are isolated by the back rest, I can get off from either side while they sit and relax, like when I get on and then remember I have the key in my pocket. Quick on and off for me, the seat isn't high enough to create issues, though I would guess it would really be dependent on the bike set up and seat height. I've had to learn to get on and off with the backrest in place, so whether there's a passenger or not, it doesn't matter as I can't swing the leg over the seat with the rest anywhoo :grin

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Always have an out. I leave room in between myself and the car in front of me that I can make a move, like pulling next to either side of the car in front of me. This allows the car in front of you to take a hit, and if they pull to either side and they hit you, it's a small graze VS a full on hit. Clutch in and in gear is the way groups I have instructed and I taught. No offense Brownie, simply stating what Illinois MSF teaches. Some bikes if you put the kickstand down (even in neutral), the bike will stall. I have been known to take a track bike or two on the street, and those bikes don't have kickstands. :)

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
All my bikes have had kickstand shutoffs in gear, but none have had that feature when in neutral. I/m not sure of the 150 Honda in HS, can't remember that far back.

Clutch in and in gear may be recommended everywhere, and as I mentioned previously, that's where I sit at the light as well. Until such time as I determine I may need to alight from the bike in a hurry if being approached by someone that has given enough indication there's a potential problem. How many people actually approach a bike for no reason at a stop light in the middle of the road? Not many, it's happened twice to me, the first time was a learning experience, and I've adjusted my actions to be able to jump off without worrying about dumping the bike. :thumsup

1 - 20 of 34 Posts