Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short, i was accused of being involved with a "violent" crime, with no evidence against me. After being arrested, then jumping all the legal hurdles, my case was eventually dismissed. i called the department of agriculture and was informed that my ccw had been suspended pending a review of my situation. it has now been 2 months since i submitted my court disposition showing my case was dismissed/nole proccesed and my permit is still under suspension. Has anyone else had to deal with a suspension? and can they suspend my permit indefinitely even though i wasnt convicted of a felony? i ask this because the people at the D.O.A make it sound like they can not return my permit on just grounds of being arrested.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Good question -- For your lawyer.

Next time, stay away from felons.

Jeff
Per the bolded: Quite the accusation with no presentation of evidence! Do you have inside information as to this person's situation and associates.:thumbsdwn

·
Registered
781 Posts
Educated guess based on lack of full details. Sorry if it offends you. The advice still stands.

Based on the presented story, he somehow got involved enough to be accused and arrested. That's really hard to do without being too close to trouble makers to begin with.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
long story short, i was accused of being involved with a "violent" crime, with no evidence against me. After being arrested, then jumping all the legal hurdles, my case was eventually dismissed. i called the department of agriculture and was informed that my ccw had been suspended pending a review of my situation. it has now been 2 months since i submitted my court disposition showing my case was dismissed/nole proccesed and my permit is still under suspension. Has anyone else had to deal with a suspension? and can they suspend my permit indefinitely even though i wasnt convicted of a felony? i ask this because the people at the D.O.A make it sound like they can not return my permit on just grounds of being arrested.
Contact a lawyer who deals with CCW and firearms-related issues. Might be a good idea to get a lawyer and put him/her on retainer, in case this should happen again.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Two months may seem long to you but it is a drop in the bucket for the govt. A lawyer sounds like good advice , don't sweat it yet, it probably is still on a desk waiting for a clerk to get back from coffee. There is a lot of stuff going through that department this year. Just remember.....NEVER carry without one....or game over.

·
Registered
557 Posts
good luck, but you got yourself into this mess. It may be easier to get a driver's license reinstated than your license to carry a firearm?

If its important to you, you may want to straighten up?

I'm not even sure if someone that is "accused" of a violent crime and arrested.... than dismissed for whatever technicality, should even be allowed to carry a firearm? I have more faith in the LEO that put the cuffs on you than any courthouse politics. Just my honest opinion.

I will take the beating now :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
For a group so self defense focused some of yall sure do assume this fella was not minding his own business when trouble came to him. Even if he was not totally innocent of upholding some undefined standard he was not convicted of any crime. Sorry for what happened to you OP and apologies for the assumptions you are getting now too. They must be in a bad mood tonight. Its a nice place here cept for the anti OC trolls.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Remember Richard Jewell.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
For a group so self defense focused some of yall sure do assume this fella was not minding his own business when trouble came to him. Even if he was not totally innocent of upholding some undefined standard he was not convicted of any crime. Sorry for what happened to you OP and apologies for the assumptions you are getting now too. They must be in a bad mood tonight. Its a nice place here cept for the anti OC trolls.
How about a heads up on who the OC trolls are here. I want to be on the look out for them in the future. :grin

I didn't realize we had anti OC trolls on the forum. Perhaps start a thread on anti OC trolls, should be an interesting thread :thumsup

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
You can be accused of almost anything by anyone and it is enough to get you arrested and possibly charged ! That doesn't make it true or make you guilty of a felony ! I think your License should be restored with the same speed with which it was suspended ! I am curious though > Were the charges dropped , or were you acquitted ! kevin

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Strange! I cannot view this thread. I get this message (see below). I also cannot upload pictures, ever since the site's Hacking Event.
HELP ADMINS.....

"Barry45ACP, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home"

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
Just think if we had OC he wouldn't need to worry about his silly license

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
unless of course a license was required to open carry , just like it is for concealed carry now ! Perhaps you are referring to constitutional carry ? In that case I would think that only a felony conviction should suspend your rights ! Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Suspension lifted!!!

well today is october 12th.. and after 2 and a half LONG months, they finally sent me a notice stating the suspension was lifted and my licence was in good standings!!! definitely a great feeling. hopes this helps someone who might be going through a similar situation.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Congratulations on your license reinstatement. I trust you've made the appropriate changes, in your life, to prevent this situation from happening to you again. Take care, carry early, and carry often.

·
Registered
475 Posts
what changes? he was innocent..

i am around felons and am in "not nice" places daily..

the soccer mom that works in our church is a felon.. when she was 18 she stole checks from grandmaw..

a fellow pastor is a felon, he had massive speeding tickets when he was young..

i pick up homeless folks and take them to the Doctor or clinic or VA.. some are felons..

things arent what they seem.. shucks, i even wear a hoodie when its nippy on the bike.. LOL

Be blessed :)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Probable cause is the standard to actually arrest someone (as opposed to making them a "person of interest".) Probable cause can be defined, generally, as the Officer having a "reasonable" suspicion that the arrestee has committed a crime. The standard here is much higher than that required to stop and frisk, etc. which is based on an Officer's experience and borders, in some cases, on instinct.

Given that standard for arrest, mere technical errors aside, either there WAS PROBABLE CAUSE or you may have grounds for civil action.

The dept., IMHO, had an obligation to investigate whether the charges being dropped were because they were made in error OR it was more convenient for the State to Nolle. Often occurs when an arrestee agrees to cooperate with the prosecution of a co defendant or the case , while sufficient for PC, would be difficult to prosecute given exigent circumstances.

Generally, a defendant is asked to sign a waiver under certain circumstances of charges being dropped, as in a difficult prosecution but NOT a declaration of innocence. Did you have to sign a waiver? :dunno

1 - 20 of 23 Posts