Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the Gov, sign into law extending the life of a permit from 5 years to 7?

AFS

·
Registered
578 Posts
Your Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License is valid for a period of seven years. The expiration date appears on the front of your license. Approximately 90 days prior to that date, our Division will automatically send a renewal application to you in the mail to the address that we have on file for you at that time.

looks like it was changed since the last time I was on there page.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My license says five years. Does this mean I will get seven years once I renew it or do I get an extension.
That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing.
Need to call Ag office and find out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Experation limits

Your license is good for 5 years if issued before June 11 2008. If issued on or after June 11 2008 then is will be good for 7 years. I just had mine issued a week before the change and had they waitied for a week I would have a seven year expiration.

Gun control is a nice tight grouping! :dancingbanana

·
Registered
64 Posts
Valid Term Of The Concealed Weapon License Increased
From 5 To 7 Years

On Wednesday, June 11, 2008, the Division of Licensing began issuing concealed weapon licenses that are valid for seven years.

This increase in the valid term of the concealed weapon license is the result of Governor Charlie Crist having signed Senate Bill 948 into law. This legislation also enacted statutory language stipulating that a person must be a RESIDENT of the United States AND either a CITIZEN or a PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIEN in order to qualify for the concealed weapon license.

Please note that the new law is not retroactive. The law applies only to licenses issued on or after June 11, 2008, the date on which the law took effect. (This includes applications for NEW or RENEWAL licenses that our Division had received prior to June 11 but that were pending issuance when the legislation became law.)

Please also note that this increase in the period of time during which a license is valid comes with no additional increase in fees. NEW and RENEWAL license fees remain unchanged.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Ok, now I'm jealous of the 7 year liscensees. :cool: This is great news though. We are moving in the right direction for a change.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I sent in my application on May 16th. I haven't received my license yet. Maybe I should be glad it wasn't a 30 day turn around. I'll get two more years I wasn't expecting.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I sent in my application on May 16th. I haven't received my license yet. Maybe I should be glad it wasn't a 30 day turn around. I'll get two more years I wasn't expecting.
Sent May 15th or 16th. Can't quite remember. Used electronic fingerprints, DD214 and postal money order. Received my license today. Good for 7 years.

I won't be doing a walmart run. I'm going to the movies tonight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From 5 To 7 Years

On Wednesday, June 11, 2008, the Division of Licensing began issuing concealed weapon licenses that are valid for seven years.

This increase in the valid term of the concealed weapon license is the result of Governor Charlie Crist having signed Senate Bill 948 into law. This legislation also enacted statutory language stipulating that a person must be a RESIDENT of the United States AND either a CITIZEN or a PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIEN in order to qualify for the concealed weapon license.

Please note that the new law is not retroactive. The law applies only to licenses issued on or after June 11, 2008, the date on which the law took effect. (This includes applications for NEW or RENEWAL licenses that our Division had received prior to June 11 but that were pending issuance when the legislation became law.)

Please also note that this increase in the period of time during which a license is valid comes with no additional increase in fees. NEW and RENEWAL license fees remain unchanged.
Correction: The bill extented the term of the permit to 7 years and it clarified the definition of the term "resident". If you go to the bill's home page and follow the readings and analysis from various committees and the final version of the bill, you will note explicityly that the bill now defines the term US RESIDENT as being equivilant to a "US CITIZEN" etc. Here is the exact wording of the clarification portion of the bill revising the statute:

Quote:

·
Registered
36 Posts
From 5 To 7 Years

Updated Information to Ponder:

The bill extented the term of the permit to 7 years and it clarified the definition of the term "resident". If you go to the bill's home page and follow the readings and analysis from various committees and the final version of the bill, you will note explicitly that the bill now defines the term US RESIDENT as being equivilant to a "US CITIZEN" etc. It begins with the first introduction of the bill and follows it through every reading unmodified...

Here is the exact wording of the clarification portion of the bill revising the statute:

Quote:

Section 1 of this CS amends s. 790.06, F.S., defining “resident of the United States” with regards
to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services United States residency requirement to
obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. This section defines resident of the
United States as “a United States citizen or permanent resident alien of the United States.”

Also:
An act relating to concealed weapons licenses; amending s.
3 790.06, F.S.; extending the period that a license is
4 valid; specifying that the United States residency
5 required to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon
6 or firearm means that the licensee must be a United States
7 citizen or a permanent resident alien of the United
8 States; providing legislative intent; providing
9 applicability; providing an effective date.

After a brief conversation with the Florida licensing authority I was invited to reapply for my permit as it had been withdrawn earlier as I am not presently residing in the USA although a US Citizen by birth and parentage. I presently live and work an hour from the border in Toronto... you go where you can put food on the table right?

Anyway, they have sent me another fresh application package which should be here in the mailbox by now... and hopefully we will get our Florida permit/license for concealed carry in short order, which will make me a very happy camper when it comes through. We are heading to Florida in October/November to shop for property (which may things completely anyway) which we will be renting out until we move there as soon as the kids are in college.

Florida was one of the very few states that presented a problem to us in terms of protecting our family... and Florida is the only state where I have had a big honkin revolver stuck in my nose with no means of protecting myself. I saw the situation coming and could do nothing to protect either myself or my family - we are lucky to have escaped with our lives without going into all the details. Just dumb luck.

God bless our Florida legislators for getting the legislation on the right track. We had even been considering very seriously retiring to another state that was more amenable to permitting us our 2a rights to protect our family up until this past week. Boy was I ever surprised!

So, for all of you fellow transplanted Americans who for whatever reasons are presently residing outside of the USA... be aware that Florida has amended a wrong. The Great State of Florida respects and accomodates your second amendment rights and it took very little time for them to correct the problem once brought to their attention. Bravo.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Updated Information to Ponder:

The bill extented the term of the permit to 7 years and it clarified the definition of the term "resident". If you go to the bill's home page and follow the readings and analysis from various committees and the final version of the bill, you will note explicitly that the bill now defines the term US RESIDENT as being equivilant to a "US CITIZEN" etc. It begins with the first introduction of the bill and follows it through every reading unmodified...

Here is the exact wording of the clarification portion of the bill revising the statute:

Quote:

Section 1 of this CS amends s. 790.06, F.S., defining “resident of the United States” with regards
to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services United States residency requirement to
obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. This section defines resident of the
United States as “a United States citizen or permanent resident alien of the United States.”

Also:
An act relating to concealed weapons licenses; amending s.
3 790.06, F.S.; extending the period that a license is
4 valid; specifying that the United States residency
5 required to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon
6 or firearm means that the licensee must be a United States
7 citizen or a permanent resident alien of the United
8 States; providing legislative intent; providing
9 applicability; providing an effective date.

After a brief conversation with the Florida licensing authority I was invited to reapply for my permit as it had been withdrawn earlier as I am not presently residing in the USA although a US Citizen by birth and parentage. I presently live and work an hour from the border in Toronto... you go where you can put food on the table right?

Anyway, they have sent me another fresh application package which should be here in the mailbox by now... and hopefully we will get our Florida permit/license for concealed carry in short order, which will make me a very happy camper when it comes through. We are heading to Florida in October/November to shop for property (which may things completely anyway) which we will be renting out until we move there as soon as the kids are in college.

Florida was one of the very few states that presented a problem to us in terms of protecting our family... and Florida is the only state where I have had a big honkin revolver stuck in my nose with no means of protecting myself. I saw the situation coming and could do nothing to protect either myself or my family - we are lucky to have escaped with our lives without going into all the details. Just dumb luck.

God bless our Florida legislators for getting the legislation on the right track. We had even been considering very seriously retiring to another state that was more amenable to permitting us our 2a rights to protect our family up until this past week. Boy was I ever surprised!

So, for all of you fellow transplanted Americans who for whatever reasons are presently residing outside of the USA... be aware that Florida has amended a wrong. The Great State of Florida respects and accomodates your second amendment rights and it took very little time for them to correct the problem once brought to their attention. Bravo.
Thanks for the info. Good luck on your search for place in Florida. Do you have a specific area in mind. Maybe one of us on this board can give you some recommendations if we know the area your interested in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good luck on your search for place in Florida. Do you have a specific area in mind. Maybe one of us on this board can give you some recommendations if we know the area your interested in.
Thanks for your kind offer and consideration. We have spent many wonderful vacations with the kids in Florida and have many friends and family who have bought homes in the past few years; they are spread all over the place. I am really uneducated as far as the 'where' goes. All I know is that it is warm in the Winter, we still have loads of family in the north end (NY, NJ, PA, Ontario) so expect to spend half the year up here, although in a much downsized home once the kids are off to college.

It is a pity that we cannot protect ourselves north of the 49th. and we do obey the law and keep everything unloaded and under lock and key; double time. We have been very lucky; two home invasions here.... the first some years ago was successful but the perps fled at the first scream. The last only less than a year ago and they were so high that the five or ten minutes it took for the police to arrive... the perps were trying to pry their way in, even though the door is half glass. Shhhhh. Taken down at gunpoint on the doorstep. The only place we have had a gun stuck in our nose? Orlando of all places. Duh? A story for another day. We are thinking Kissimmee area or West Palm Beach area. But really have no clue when it comes right down to it. But now that FLA recognizes my right as a US citizen (as opposed to a resident) I am much more comfy heading down to do some land shopping. Funny thing is that FLA would not recognize my permits from MAINE, PA, NH, UTAH, Virginia, etc. as I was not a US resident! But a US citizen working an hour north of Buffalo. One works where one can put food on the table these days, especially with the five to seven dollar gallon looming. Life as we know it will change drastically... I expect that in the winter, should we remain in Canada, it will cost as much as three or four thousand dollars simply to heat the home. Watch for the mass migration to the south.

I am so pleased that FLA has seen fit to recognize my rights as a US Citizen vs. accepting a utility bill to prove that I am a resident and good to go for a concealed permit. That scares me.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Don't forget to look at the gulf coast between Sarasota and Ft Myers if you are looking for peace and quiet. North of Tampa seems to be more rural if you want more land.

I would stay out of Miami. I plan on taking my own advice next year.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Toronto :
don't forget Florida is a very BIG place. Miami and the surrounding area is considered the 6th borough of New York City. The panhandle is almost southern Alabama. The west coast is varied.
Ask a lot of questions and the place you want to retire is not the place you spent your vacations at.
Trust me on that.
I'm here (Sarasota) for 6 years. I love it and the Canadians and Europeans are arriving in droves.

AFS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts