Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Interesting video. To be fair, it appears they got very little actual instruction... a few pointers ON the firing line.

I love, love, LOVE teaching newbies to shoot. I always, always, ALWAYS begin with firearms familiarization OFF the shooting range - on a table. I also like to teach grip, sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control with a SIRT laser pistol - again, off the range.

Once on the range, I like to start them with a .22 before going to larger calibers.

All that said, even in this video, most (if not all) the participants seemed to enjoy it in the end. In my own experience, I can say that 100% of the noobs I've taken to the range ask, "Can we do it again??" Always big smiles.

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
I've seen this one before. There's another that does a similar thing but the result of most of these videos are that the shooters aren't convinced into purchasing a gun or believing that others should have them. Well, at least they tried, once.

I will always be willing to take people to my range. The problem is recruiting them. It's always a risky thing to approach people you might know, personally, but don't know their position on 2A. Most of the people I know in this context are "anti" and would probably freak if I started talking to them about shooting at my range. And, thanks to the "red flag" laws in FL, I really don't want to "cold contact" people out of the blue. Certainly, if someone approaches me, I'll vet them first and then take them on, once I determine their intentions. If they're truly interested, I'll take them to my range.

·
Super Moderator
31,670 Posts
My experience teaching newbies mirrors yours, racer. Good video and thanks for sharing! 👍👍

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Thanks Racer88 for this video.
I have taken people to the range and like you, I get them very familiar with the gun, The RULES of SAFETY and do it at home before any actual range time.
Ronnie

·
Registered
18,209 Posts
I’m gonna take a guess and say from the look of the muzzle, cases coming out and snappy recoil that that’s a .40 caliber gun they are shooting? Doesn’t say in description or comments.
Pretty cool video. Bearded guy got some hot brass to the face. Looked like it was heading down his cashmere sweater he was wearing. Would like to have seen the rest of that.

·
Registered
56,518 Posts
In the basics 2 hour course [ handhold, trigger control and sight alignment ] most can hit what they're looking at within an hour. Newbs [ most actually in the 2 hour basics course ] buying a gun at the shop, ask if anyone can teach them to use it, and of course, the owners give them my card if I'm not working that day.

They learn as new shooters on the gun they bought at the shop. After all, that's the gun they'll be using for SD.

Many guys will ask if I'll train their wife, as they know she won't listen to them. LOL

·
Super Moderator
31,670 Posts
In the basics 2 hour course [ handhold, trigger control and sight alignment ] most can hit what they're looking at within an hour. Newbs [ most actually in the 2 hour basics course ] buying a gun at the shop, ask if anyone can teach them to use it, and of course, the owners give them my card if I'm not working that day.

They learn as new shooters on the gun they bought at the shop. After all, that's the gun they'll be using for SD.

Many guys will ask if I'll train their wife, as they know she won't listen to them. LOL
I ALWAYS separated spouses/significant others during shooting courses I instructed and almost to a woman, every one of the women thanked me for it and usually shot better than their significant others! ;)

Reactions: Caleb and brownie

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always, always, ALWAYS begin with firearms familiarization OFF the shooting range - on a table. I also like to teach grip, sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control with a SIRT laser pistol - again, off the range.

Once on the range, I like to start them with a .22 before going to larger calibers.
Newb here and this essentially how my wife and I learned late last year. Immediately signed up for regular private lessons and have been taking weekly lessons since. Once we had our own guns, we added weekly practice on our own at the range to our routine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts