Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the riot and truck gun talks in this and different forums, I’ve been looking at either building an AR pistol or buying a pistol caliber carbine. I’ve been reading up on the pros and cons of both. Just wanted to get your opinions on either one.

and..........Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
With all the riot and truck gun talks in this and different forums, I’ve been looking at either building an AR pistol or buying a pistol caliber carbine. I’ve been reading up on the pros and cons of both. Just wanted to get your opinions on either one.

and..........Go!

I am in the AR pistol camp. If I need to fire in the house I want a projectile traveling at over 2200 feet per second. At this velocity I am MUCH LESS likely to require a second shot to put the target down.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
I am in the AR pistol camp. If I need to fire in the house I want a projectile traveling at over 2200 feet per second. At this velocity I am MUCH LESS likely to require a second shot to put the target down.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I think the OP is talking truck gun, not house gun.

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
My truck gun is a Keltec sub2K taking glock 17, 19 and/or 33 rd mags. I've carried a 30-30 lever gun, a shorty pump 12 ga., and several various pistols over the years. I've settled on the folding Keltec for truck duty. 4 32's loaded with 29 each, and the 17 mag in the gun all wrapped into an old water bladder pack. Take it anywhere over a shoulder, no one knows any different than it's my water pack. The very last choice would be an ar anything. In fact, left with that as an only choice, I'd throw a G17 under the seat with a couple 32 round mags to compliment the party unfolding

Have timed several "get it operational" drills. 12-15 seconds from pack to operational.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I’m talking more of a truck/car gun.

I like the idea of the shared magazines, Brownie. That makes sense. Unfortunately, my carry pistol has proprietary (at least for now) magazines. So why no AR anything Brownie?

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
Yes, I’m talking more of a truck/car gun.

I like the idea of the shared magazines, Brownie. That makes sense. Unfortunately, my carry pistol has proprietary (at least for now) magazines. So why no AR anything Brownie?

Not reliable enough for me, OMMV. My truck guns get to sit for long periods of time where the vehicle interior can reach 150F. Ar's like to be run wet if they're going to run at all reliably [ still not enough reliability for me personally ] and sitting in the vehicle for weeks will have no lubrication left to even have a chance at functioning properly.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I too like my Sub2000, that said, if I still had my folding mini, THAT would be my truck gun ..... again. I do have a GM manufactured , WWII M1 carbine That I would trust as well. I used to hog hunt with it when I was a kid, could be out in a summer monsoon all day long & it would still go bang when needed.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not reliable enough for me, OMMV. My truck guns get to sit for long periods of time where the vehicle interior can reach 150F. Ar's like to be run wet if they're going to run at all reliably [ still not enough reliability for me personally ] and sitting in the vehicle for weeks will have no lubrication left to even have a chance at functioning properly.
Makes sense, thanks. I as well have a couple packs that look like school backpacks that are set up as get home packs. (That’s a lot of “packs” in one sentence, lol). With that said, non of them have room for a PCC. That bladder pack is a great idea.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
I have a sub 2000 also and I think it’s very utilitarian. Additionally, I have a PLR 16 which is very compact and I think meets the need for a truck gun nicely.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I’ve got an AK47 I’m going to modify by adding a folding stock, plastic pistol grip and fore end to make it compact enough to stow in my car. I think it’s capable of standing up to the heat in the car and will still function reliably.
If I didn’t already own it, I’d be in the market for a sub2000.

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
Makes sense, thanks. I as well have a couple packs that look like school backpacks that are set up as get home packs. (That’s a lot of “packs” in one sentence, lol). With that said, non of them have room for a PCC. That bladder pack is a great idea.

My 100 oz. water bladder pack is JUST big enough to fit the Sub2K folded into it with room for 3-4 extra 30 round glock mags. Bit heavy with all those loaded mags, but throwing one strap of the bag over a shoulder, it's not an issue.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I’ve got an AK47 I’m going to modify by adding a folding stock, plastic pistol grip and fore end to make it compact enough to stow in my car. I think it’s capable of standing up to the heat in the car and will still function reliably.
If I didn’t already own it, I’d be in the market for a sub2000.

I trust my SKS will stand up to Way more than just about any other ( pound for pound ) semi auto anything will. I would feel more comfortable in almost any situation with my SKS than my AR any day. But, it dont fold & mines full milled & heavy as hell, so not much of a pack gun.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a sub2k chambered in 40 cal to match my carry gun. The only issue I have had is I need to replace the feed ramp, it’s plastic and so my rounds have been hanging up. Mcarbo sells a metal feed ramp and polishing kit. I’m going to get it in a few weeks and drop it in and see how it does, hopefully with the help of a friend/old neighbor. Before the jamming problems I really liked it, just need to get it reliable again.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have a sub2k chambered in 40 cal to match my carry gun. The only issue I have had is I need to replace the feed ramp, it’s plastic and so my rounds have been hanging up. Mcarbo sells a metal feed ramp and polishing kit. I’m going to get it in a few weeks and drop it in and see how it does, hopefully with the help of a friend/old neighbor. Before the jamming problems I really liked it, just need to get it reliable again.
I also have the .40 version. When ( how many rounds ) did you start having these issues & what type of ammo did you mostly feed the carbine?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I also have the .40 version. When ( how many rounds ) did you start having these issues & what type of ammo did you mostly feed the carbine?
It became a problem about 500 rounds in. Feeding it good stuff. Standard 180 grain Remmington green and white box mainly.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Mcarbo is a Florida company and I do like to support for the companies. I bought their spring kits for a P365 XL and a CZP07. I had a gunsmith friend of mine do the installation. The kit worked wonderfully on the P365 but the CZ would not reset. You had to take your finger behind the trigger and push it forward to reset or shake the pistol.

When my gunsmith called them they said that was a common issue with their spring kit for the P07. I sent them an email. I had put the factory reset spring back in and everything worked nicely. In the email, which was friendly but pointed, I told them that they were selling kits to modify pistols that people might rely on to protect their life or their families and a failure to reset could have dire consequences. I suggested that they explain this carefully in their directions for their assembly video.

Maybe it was just a lower level employee that answered the email but I got kind of a curt response that said “all you have to do is stretch and then the spring when doing installation”. We had already bent and stretched this spring to the point it was incapable of being used.

It’s always easy to get a gunsmith on the line at Kel Tec, they are very friendly and approachable. I would suggest talking to them for going with the modification.

·
Super Moderator
28,405 Posts
I have a co-worker that is about to take delivery of a Sub2k and there is now apparently an option to order direct from Keltec with all the Mcarbo mods. :unsure:

Reactions: Shark1007
1 - 20 of 37 Posts